Is that a Jet or my fans?!!

Xmay4444

On Point!!
Reaction score
I need help guys.
Started my car this morning, from cold I might add, and after about 2 minutes there's this awful noise like an airplane. I'm like :wtf: is that?!! I actually looked out the moonroof to see if there was a low flying jet above me only to find out it was coming from my front end. The fans were going crazy like they were on e's or something. They did calm down after a while though.
Same thing happened when leaving work this evening!
Any ideas would be appreciated.

T.
:sos:

How long have you had the car? In cooler weather the ventilation fan will blow (fairly) noisily after about 30 secs for about another 30 secs before it settles down. Is that what you mean?

Yeah mine sounds like a Henry on full hit for around 30 seconds then dies off...

Ive had the car for just under a year.
This is no ordinary sound, it realy does sound like a jet plane. I've been driving 1.8T's for 4 years now and I've never heard anything like it, even after a two hour run round the M25 in summer.
Anyway it started after I took it in to a dealer for a service so it's going back for them to sort it out.:banghead:

J7USS, the fans should not sound like a Henry or Dyson for that matter when starting from cold. You sure yours are ok?

Ive had the car for just under a year.
This is no ordinary sound, it realy does sound like a jet plane. I've been driving 1.8T's for 4 years now and I've never heard anything like it, even after a two hour run round the M25 in summer.
Anyway it started after I took it in to a dealer for a service so it's going back for them to sort it out.:banghead:

J7USS, the fans should not sound like a Henry or Dyson for that matter when starting from cold. You sure yours are ok?

Yes I have a Prob with the clip on my Hose, Think its the same pipe that goes into the ventilation fan what james is on about but its the Plastic flexi pipe thats along side near the DV.its around a foot in length. It happened on my red one where I was too heavy handed and bust the clip so when you push it back on, it wont clip and stay in so it sometimes comes off, just needs pushing on now and again - Hence the Henry Sound!!!!!:o.k:

Last edited:
I had a similar problem, turned out that the missus had put the fan on internal only and it had sucked a McDonalds paper tissue into the fan !!!

Took the glove box out and looked inside the fan and there it was :wtf:

My sound was like the noise when someone hums on tracing paper but very loud

Right, a quick update on this.
Turned out to be an coolant sensor that had gone wrong and it was telling the fans that the engine was over heating, hence they decided to go mental!
Thanks to all that took time to offer thoughts.

Thats alright then, just goes to show that you do know your own car and how it should/shouldn't sound!

I will now wait for this to happen to mine :tocktock:

EDIT: I'm sorry I though you were talking about the aircon fan, which makes my replies kind of irrelevant! :readit: