Is slow throttle response Turbo lag?

Macster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2013 A4 Black Edition 2.0 TDi Saloon, I love driving it, (and use any excuse to!), the one gripe I have with it is when I pull away, out of a turning etc. there seems to be hesitation from when I foot the pedal to when the car actually accelerates. If I put the box in sport mode, everything tightens up and I don't get the lag.

Is this normal/acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Barry

Try filling up with ultimate BP Deisel now and again...It works for me.

Thanks,

So it could be the quality of the diesel?

I actually filled up with that last week, prior to that I filled up with Esso premium, and prior to that it was regular diesel.

I'll monitor it and see if there's any/much difference.

I was going to do every third tank fill with a premium diesel, but not too sure what the actual difference is, although I understand I should avoid supermarket fuels?

Premium diesel has a higher cetane number and more additives. Makes a good mpg difference to our 2.0 TDI VW Jetta.

Great post Scotty, thanks muchly

Very interesting, guess I'll stick with the BP or Shell offerings going forward; although it's obv an older vid as the £1:00 litre has long gone!

It has nothing to do with fuel and everything to do with the 8 speed multitronic transmission in your car. I don't even need to ask you if your car is an automatic. I already know from your question.

Im about to go to work and will answer your question a bit better when I get home this evening.

OK, I'm home now. The delay you suffer is software related and nothing to do with bad fuel or anything else like that, your car doesn't have a dsg gearbox, it's a cvt with 8 steps (virtual gears so to speak). Your gearbox doesn't have physical gears and in layman's terms has two cones facing each other running parallel pointy end first with a band between them giving infinite gearing.
Your car being diesel has a fair amount of torque going through the transmission to the wheels and to protect the flywheel and transmission which is not the most robust there is a built in delay to allow for the sudden influx of torque about to be rammed through it. It's to prevent any damage, it's not just the automatic transmission that suffers from a delay in pick up or torque reduction, the manuals are torque limited in the first couple of gears to protect the flywheel and full torque is only available in 3rd, your gearbox being continually variable doesn't have a first and second gear so a torque limiter can't realistically be introduced so a half second delay is factored in when foot to the floor pulling away is required. This explains why you can pull away smoothly with no problem but heavy acceleration gives a delay but only from standstill. I also own a multitronic and gave learned to ease off and then give it beans when the car is in motion.
You can get rround it with a remap as it will delete any safety precautions installed by the manufacturer, the same goes for the manuals.

Reactions: skiptowncat and Zafi
Excuse the typos and bad grammar, this forum isn't brilliant on my phones browser when posting replies.

Reactions: Macster
Yes, I paused a few times there!

Very informative reply, thanks for that.

So a remap would be defeating the object of the safety margin? I toyed with the idea of a remap as a friend had his 59 plate 2.7L done and loves it, but, being newish and under warranty was a bit unsure. What are the negatives, it would be nice to have a remap, mine would get an extra 30BHP and 7-12% better economy [suggested], but then won't other things start wearing quicker; e.g. clutch, tyres and other associated parts?

You can probably tell I'm a total noob, coming from a Renault Scenic to my A4 was quite a change, (and investment), so I don't know a lot and am probably a bit scared of effing something up I'll regret!

But, this is a great forum and I'll learn lots on the way, my wish list is to get it detailed [swirls etc from dealer no doubt using car wash before I got it], rear tinted, RS grill & maybe the remap of the engine & gearbox at some later time.

Thanks again

Mine is far worse if rolling towards a junction, then seeing a gap and flooring it... the lag is quite dangerous.
If I knew for sure that a remap would cure it I would go for it.

I agree Zafi, sometimes I pull out, get the delay & panic!

Like Crespo said, I guess it's getting used to it, or leaving it in "Sport" mode so it's more responsive.

My remap concerns are with the warranty & other parts wearing quicker

I don't have a lag whole rolling up to a junction, there have been a few multitronic updates so it may be worth contacting audi to see if there is an update available for your car?

Well I called Audi, and there are no updates; it is part & parcel of having an automatic, (as said previously by Crespo).

It's only 16 months old so reluctant to get chipped as yet, so will live with it for now.

Thanks for all the feedback, great learning resource this forum!