Is my car an import? Help please

A3Bash

Reaction score
The car was bought from an Audi dealer with a host of problems. I just need to know if the car is an import because it was never mentioned at the time of purchase. Some clues which make me think it is:

The headlight only adjusts the left dipped beam, a motor may have gone but it's unlikely. (european setuo?)
The ESP symbol is a triangle with some sort exclamation mark instead of a skidding car (04 plate). Do 04 plates come with the skidding car?

Audi service were closed today so they couldn't tell me. How can I tell if it is an import? The service history is questionable in itself. My brother has no book of services done or where the PDI was done. Only 2 pieces of paper saying the first one was done in some back street garage and the other one was done by themselves. The first service is questionable but thats another story.

Thanks

My 04 has the triangle ESP warning and only the right headlamp dips.........but they both used too. I would have thought that its unlikely to be a foreign version if it RHD. does the registration doc not say ?

check and see if the light is still attatched to the actuator bar, easiest way to tell this is if you stick your hand in the cluster and see if the lights can be adjusted by pushing on them they will flick around easily if the bar is disconnected

Mines an 05 and is euro spec (seeing as I live in Norway). And both the headlights adjust, so it not due to euro set up. It maybe that it is just a faulty motor. My 05 has the skidding car symbol, but if paddy also has the triangle then thats not a tell-tale sign either.

I'd wait till audi open again after the weekend and check then.

Right thanks for replies. I will get the car booked in to sort the headlight motor and rear washer jet under warranty. This car has brought nothing but problems. My brother is hoping for a single grill A3 now, so this ones going to be sold.

How did you buy it from an Audi dealer with no history? I very much doubt Audi would sell it without everything, My dealer told me they would never sell a car unles it had a complete history.

It has a history, but the first service was apparently carried out by a backstreet garage and the second one by them. However they took over 3 months to get proof of the service history, I'm still sceptical. Something definitely doesn't add up about this car.

Ring DVLA.

I would just ask Audi if it was a UK supplied car , and if so who did the PDI., i am quite sure that Audi would not sell you a non Uk supplied car. ( i could be wrong ) Also although it's a 04 plate the warranty has gone , so i guess you are on the dealers warranty rather than manufacturers warranty , so i would be surprised if they would put a dealer warranty on an import.

No service book is well shady , Audi will always supply a duplicate and have it stamped if the original is not available.

Does a HPI check show if it is an import ?

Last edited:
If it's an import the other usual give-away is that the V5 (logbook) will not have the engine number recorded.

As the others have suggested, just ask Audi for the history.