will it be fixed or written off??

• Fixed

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Written off

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

krs187uk

Reaction score
The missus had an accident in my 13 year old a4 avant with 172 k on the clock that just had it's cambelt replaced last month. The lad has admitted it was his fault and the mudflap has ripped off where there was a bit of rust there's now a hole and some bent metal. The garage has rang and said it's needs a new panel. So the question is will they repair it or write it off? Roughly how much would my car be worth as mechanical it's sound?

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 240
Have you told your insurers yet?If not and you want to keep it cant you do a deal or is it too late?

The other guy's insurance is dealing with it.. Whatever happens i want that car back it's been the best car i've owned:cry: The question is how much will it cost me..

It's repairable, just not through your insurance. They'll insist on replacing that rear near-side panel, bumper lower valance trim, wheel arch liner possibly, the list goes on, and that's not even including the re-spray.

The good news it doesn't have to be written-off. The insurance company will make offer. Car will be classed as Cat C. I'd negotiate with them to buy back and repair via independent body-shop. I'd personally leave the rear panel and look at repair on the wheel-arch. Rear valance trim can be picked up from breaker yard. Just make sure all rust is eliminated and paint is blended in, which may be better than opting to respray the whole panel given silver metallic is difficult. Whole rear panel can be top-coat lacquered.

Reactions: mister.c. and Welshquattro
Don't accept the offer to buy back your car as it will be classed as a cat c write off on the insurances expense book. Ask for them to to give you a fixed fee for you to source parts (brand new or second hand) to repair the car yourself. (It's cheaper for them and will benefit you).
That way you get to keep your car with no recorded write offs recorded against your car.

This is provided you still love your car otherwise if you've been trying to sell it then let them have it. But they will only pay you less than 1k££ due to nthebhigh miles.

Don't accept the offer to buy back your car as it will be classed as a cat c write off on the insurances expense book. Ask for them to to give you a fixed fee for you to source parts (brand new or second hand) to repair the car yourself. (It's cheaper for them and will benefit you).
That way you get to keep your car with no recorded write offs recorded against your car.

So insurance company are selling insurance write offs without registering them on the MIB database, you sure about this?

Well..... It's a now a cat c... But to be fair the insurance have made a very generous offer and i get to keep my car. I've checked and you don't even need to do a VIC check anymore so it should just be a trip to the scrapyard get another rear bumper and get a local body shop to sort the rust out..

Reactions: spartacus 68