Is my accelerator pedal broken?

Migwire

Reaction score
After 10 months of owning my 184TDI, I noticed for the first time the other night that if you floor the throttle, it stops, but if you press just a touch more it goes further again. Kind of like a two stage throttle. Is this normal or have I broken mine?

That's normal. Part of the kick down for the autos. Think they use the same pedal in all the cars

In simple terms from standstill;

with a tap the car software thinks 'yeah just going about my business..quickly get through 1st, 2nd' and so on, so you feel instant movement.

When you foot it fully the software is being told 'he's floored it now give it all you have got!'

It is actually faster than gradually pressing from a stand still despite the delay. Less noticeable in a N/A engine like the 8P V6, more noticable with turbos.

I've noticed this in my manual car. I thought my pedal was sticky.

Would prefer it wasn't like that!

I've noticed this in my manual car. I thought my pedal was sticky.

Would prefer it wasn't like that!
Have you noticed your revs rising on their own by about 500-600 rpm during gearchanges if you press the pedal to the floor?

Have you noticed your revs rising on their own by about 500-600 rpm during gearchanges if you press the pedal to the floor?

No, I use my clutch in my manual.

A Nissan Leaf has this as well.. albeit it has no gears as such!

No, I use my clutch in my manual.
Maybe I didn't explain myself well. Accelerate in third gear foot hard down through the notch. Normal gearchange foot off accelerator clutch down and I see a 500-600 rpm rise as if the accelerator is momentarily stuck down, then falls as it should with no throttle input. Hope that made more sense.

Haven't noticed that leevr. Will try and remember to test it.

Reactions: Leevr
Same in my manual 1.4 COD

I run around in economy mode and if I click the pedal past the kickdown notch the car switches the map to dynamic mode and accelerates faster. You can feel the difference.

If I have it in dynamic it makes no real difference and the input on the pedal is linear.