Is it worth keeping my 8L Noggy?

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,

My 8L Noggy, as much as I love her, I’ve had it for 10 years now and have cherished it for all of those years. I always said that I will never sell it and yesterday, I bought a new S3. It’s an 8V in the same colour and 3dr version. So I’ve basically bought the same car, just a lot newer.

I want to ask you lot whether I should tuck up the S3 in my garage so that I can slowly restore it over the years. I need to get the 4WD reliably disengaging again when parking, and I think the turbo is due for a refurb considering it’s age and mileage. I’d like to get it fully resprayed too just to make it perfect. I know it will never be a classic car like the blue 205 1.9 GTi I had before, but I always regretted selling that, and now I’m asking myself, should I try and keep this for the future? I wouldn’t be keeping it for its monetary value (in terms of appreciation), however it’s a rare colour combo (with the blue/black seats) and its in really nice condition (just the original owner prior to me), and it’s the original mk1 S3. The dealer offered my £3k for it, which I think is actually a really decent offer considering it has 207k miles on the clock. It doesn’t look any different than a car that’s done 80k though if you ask me.

Anyway, I don’t have space for it at home and it’s tucked up in a rented garage for now until I decide what to do with it, but just wanted to gauge opinions on whether I’m being too sentimental and soppy, or if it’s actually worth doing?!

P.S here’s a link to my replacement 8V S3 for those curious.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/nogaro-twins-new-8v-s3.407972/

Here’s my 8L (photo taken summer 2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: Budd, S3RLY, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Personally like you say I don’t think it’s going to be a classic as such and a huge money maker but I’d keep mine just because I love it, if you can justify the cost of renting storage and money to invest to restore to yourself I’d keep it but I wouldn’t if you think it’s going to be a huge investment.3k is a good offer considering the mileage but at 3k is it worth getting rid off and it is a mint example looking stunning in your link

Reactions: Asim1
Personally if I could comfortably afford to keep both (running cost and cost of rent) I would especially if you like it that much. People sometimes take the **** out of me saying I love my car too much but I dont think that's a bad thing. But that's just me

Seriously though you’d be better off taking the 3k than breaking it if you do let it go

Reactions: Asim1 and hydro s3
Haha you vultures!! I’m not breaking her up!!

Reactions: yoursixx, hydro s3, Asim1 and 3 others
Keep it! I really think they’ll go up in value in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DCH, s3mad_dude and Asim1
Im in a similar situation myself currently. Its nice to know i`m not the only one!

Like you, i also have the same colour combo. I invested in it last year as i took the view that better the devil you know and had every intention of keeping it.

I spent the thick end of 3.5k on it last year doing Cambelt, Hybrid Turbo, Clutch and DMF as well as new powerflex bushes all round. I also had some issues last year which is why i had considering selling (abs module/sensors etc)...
Im worried about whats next every time i drive it. These cars aren`t young anymore

BUT...

When i do drive it (it spends most of its time in the garage) it drives so well. I struggle to think of any other car for this money that has this level of performance and refinement. You can either get one or the other, but not both...

I sold my MR2 turbo to buy this car back in 2016 which was an immaculate example. Since then, the values have doubled. I just don`t want to make the same mistake again, but nor am i in a position to keep throwing huge lumps of cash at it.

its a tough call.

For you, you have a replacement car, so as someone said above, unless you need the funds or you can`t afford the upkeep, i`d keep it.

ah decisions, decisions...
My 2nd ever car was an Ford MK2 RS2000 (V reg), sold it after 5 years
third car was a manual BMW 635csi (X reg), went after 10 years.
Each of the above are now worth a bob or 2 - would I have changed anything? No, far too much hassle storing , keeping in good condition, etc....Even if they are worth a lot more now, life is getting a bit short and worrying about cars is a bit lower in my priority list.
Now on my fourth car Audi S3, lost count how long I have had it. My track record says the S3 should be an appreciating classic. Just how much more, when and which specific examples...well...
I'm just loving it for the current experience when i need to use it....which, like you is not too often.
Personally i would be gutted having spent so much money and then having to sell it fairly soon after.

Reactions: NoggyAnton
I don`t have to sell it, but as you pointed out, i don`t want the worry of further expense either. That said, you could move to another car and buy into an whole load of other issues. Whilst id love to someday get back the money i`ve put into it, that`s not the deciding factor. I just don`t want to throw any more large chunks at it other than routine servicing and wear and tear bits. Had i not had the grief with it last year when it felt like it was a new problem every time i fired it up, i might feel different lol.

I think i too would be pretty attached to a car after 10 years, especially if it had been super reliable and fun to own.

I have someone interested in it and as @s3mad_dude alluded to, do you take the money now while you can or hold out?

Hard to know whats best.

Reactions: s3mad_dude
I’ve still got the old girl actually. She had a fresh MOT last week which went straight through (albeit for the rear coil spring which broke as I entered the industrial estate). Good timing to be fair!! They popped in a new spring and the next day I drove it down to Beaulieu for their Simply Audi event. I still want to keep the car because I enjoy owning it. I’m glad it’s not my daily driver any more as the new car is light years quicker and better at almost everything (except there’s no third sun visor in the new car which I really miss!)

I’ve decided to keep the car. Until I get to the stage where I’m bored with it, fall out of love with it, or I want the money (not that it’s worth much anyway), I’ll then sell it. For now I’ll just SORN it over the colder winter months and slowly make it a really nice example. I’ve replaced the glovebox lid as my hinge was broken, and lubricated the gear linkage as it had stiffened up over last winter. It’s had a new N75 and DV as they had never been replaced in its entire life. My next job is to replace the alarm siren as I’m getting a failure code for that. Crewe Audi have sorted me out with parts and have been excellent to deal with. I really enjoying fixing/caring for an older car so if you do have the space and time, why not try keeping it?

Here’s a snap from the weekend at Simply Audi. Quite a few people commented on it, especially the paint work. I’ve been working hard with my DA polisher. Still got a few more panels left but it scrubs up really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AMJ and hydro s3
I’ve still got the old girl actually. She had a fresh MOT last week which went straight through (albeit for the rear coil spring which broke as I entered the industrial estate). Good timing to be fair!! They popped in a new spring and the next day I drove it down to Beaulieu for their Simply Audi event. I still want to keep the car because I enjoy owning it. I’m glad it’s not my daily driver any more as the new car is light years quicker and better at almost everything (except there’s no third sun visor in the new car which I really miss!)

I’ve decided to keep the car. Until I get to the stage where I’m bored with it, fall out of love with it, or I want the money (not that it’s worth much anyway), I’ll then sell it. For now I’ll just SORN it over the colder winter months and slowly make it a really nice example. I’ve replaced the glovebox lid as my hinge was broken, and lubricated the gear linkage as it had stiffened up over last winter. It’s had a new N75 and DV as they had never been replaced in its entire life. My next job is to replace the alarm siren as I’m getting a failure code for that. Crewe Audi have sorted me out with parts and have been excellent to deal with. I really enjoying fixing/caring for an older car so if you do have the space and time, why not try keeping it?

Here’s a snap from the weekend at Simply Audi. Quite a few people commented on it, especially the paint work. I’ve been working hard with my DA polisher. Still got a few more panels left but it scrubs up really well.

Car looks really clean there mate..
I need to get a DA polisher. Ive done a fair few paint work jobs both on my own cars and on other peoples and not having a polisher makes it really hard to blend the lacquer in. Its on my `to-buy` list.

I think the issue is i`ve never really fallen in love with the car. I bought it needing a few odd jobs. The turbo was noisy but i left it until last year before finally doing it as i wasn`t doing huge miles and i rarely drive it on boost. Then the clutch started slipping afterwards where the power was restored. While the subframe was out, i had all the front end bushes replaced for Powerflex along with a couple of other niggly bits. (rear was done in 2018). After replaceing a load of other parts like hoses etc, and just when i thought it was getting on track, the abs module shat itself. The G201 brake pressure also failed, so i replaced both, only i was stupid enough to use pattern parts instead of genuine. I still have to replace these as im still showing an electrical fault for them both which only appeared after changing them. From looking online, this is due to the pattern sensors having a smaller hole and therefore giving an incorrect value. After all the expense, i had run out of patience lol.

For the most part, the car is pretty good. Gearbox is super smooth, the engine pulls well and the compression figures i had last year before i started the work were pretty solid given the mileage (165-170psi across all four). I dont think it likes sitting around or my driving style of pottering around town though. It tends to clear a load of crap out of the exhaust the first time i wind some boost in. After that its fine.

To be honest, all it now needs is both the brake pressure sensors doing and a pair of front tyres. I was also going to replace the fuel pump both as a precaution and because the logs suggest its running out of the fuel at the top end. A dw265 was the pump of choice.

Thats another £600 which i`m reluctant to spend... hence my hesitation and consideration on selling..

Reactions: s3mad_dude
I can see why you’d not like the car after all that effort you’ve put in. Such a shame but why not advertise it and see what sort of interest you get? Advertise it a little higher if you’re not in a hurry to sell and see what happens. Wish you luck regardless of what you decide.

Reactions: NoggyAnton
I can see why you’d not like the car after all that effort you’ve put in. Such a shame but why not advertise it and see what sort of interest you get? Advertise it a little higher if you’re not in a hurry to sell and see what happens. Wish you luck regardless of what you decide.

Thanks mate.
Ive done exactly that for this guy that is interested. It needs to be worth it. I don`t want to let it go for peanuts even if it does cause me stress! lol