is it worth getting a remap 2.0tfsi quattro special edition?

Darren1983

Reaction score
Hello all,

Now dont get mr wrong im no boy racer(too old) but i do like the thought of owning a relatively quick car with decent power and when I purchased my 2.0tfsi avant Quattro I believe I now have that.

I have read that the performance of these cars isn’t brutal which I understand and it does feel quick to me.

Some of my friends own powerful cars, focus ST, mazda MPS and my other friend has just purchased a Volvo v40 t4.

Its got me thinking about the remap because my friend with the Volvo keeps going on about how much he feels the turbo come in so I looked at the performance figures of both his car and mine, in theory on paper mine looks quicker 0-60 6.9 he is showing as 7.1.

Basically is there any point in the remap just to get the ‘feel’ of the turbo coming in more or will it actually do much to the performance figures.

I know this may be a childish post but if im perfectly honest its more so just bragging rights as he has always had one up on me when it comes to the cars we have owned.

Thanks in advance
Darren

Find a hobby Buddy as keeping up with zee jonses gets you nowhere except empty pockets :p

There will always be someone that has a quicker car than you. If you have deep pockets get it mapped but there will be still someone with a quicker car.

Reactions: NHN
haha, i completely get where you are coming from, i think it was a case of the green eyed monster coming out in me as the lad im talking about always seems to get one up on us all.

if im financially comfertable further down the line then i may look at getting it remapped.

leave it alone chap, yes you'll get more power but along with that you will get all the downsides such as more stress on your clutch and other parts.
I was going to get my remapped, not so much for the power gain, but there has been suggestions that it can make the car more drivable and using the torque better, not sure it i would notice it to be honest.
If it aint broke, then dont fix it comes to mind with this engine mod, 220bhp is not too bad on the bhp front.

you could use all that cash and improve the handling which you'd notice more overall, no point having a shed load of power, power isn's everything , whereas handling is.
enjoy

very true indeed. il just leave it. i do enjoy driving the car, it seems to have a more of a gradual acceleration rather than a full on turbo kicking in feeling if you know what I mean.

you should still get a decent turbo pull though, maybe your diverter valve is worn, it is a well documented problem and you'll feel down on boost.
i had a new turbo fitted a while back with new diverter valve etc etc, there is a noticable hit when the turbo comes into play, well for me anyway.
I'd had enough of the turbo hit with my old 911 turbo, the A4 audi is just a more refined and drivable in the wet aswell.

dont get me wrong it is definetley noticable. i dont know anyone else with the same car to compare against, these things are like rocking horse sh*t where i live. i never see them.

might be worth while looking at getting a new diverter valve, are they expensive? also is it a big job to change it?

its quite a common issue, for the best overall veiw on the issue and its fixes would be to do a search in this forum on the subject , that way you will get a good idea on the best way to tackle it, it maybe possible yours has allready been replaced with the revised unit, you'll deffo know its it faulty or not though.
where are you based just out of interest, as there are a fair few around.

I'm based in Bradford.

Yea I think I'm just being paranoid about the car really. I certainly can feel the turbo come in and the is not slow.

I think your ok then, do you use unleaded or super unleaded fuel.

Well. I've got a stage 1 Revo map on my DTM and I don't get the initial kick in the back from the turbo but what I do get is the boost coming in progressively stronger and also lasts longer than the standard map. In gear acceleration is far better. Fuel consumption isn't too bad and the car feels crisper.

If you have anyone near you with a mapped car that they can take you out in go for it. You'll see potentially anywhere between 235 and 250bhp after a map. However make sure your engine is in good condition. I've made sure that my cam belt, can chain, can follower and similar items have been replaced along with a quality oil.

I would say do it.

You don't have to rag the hell out of it every time you accelerate, but it does make the whole car feel lighter and more effortless.

I have only got a FWD 2.0T and that can be...lively.....shall we say.
I had the B6 S4 V8 and hand on heart I think a mapped 2.0T is the much better car, it is lighter, handles 100X better, has better gear ratios and a nicer clutch and gear shift and is not that far off speed wise either.
5.8 seconds for the V8 vs around 6.4 for the mapped 2.0T.

I would aim for a smooth map that just gives you a bit more of everything, some of the stock maps on these can have boost spike at around 4000rpm, a map that smooths this out but adds 35bhp would be ideal.

Put it this way it's Very rare you here bad thing about a reputable mapping company, only good things. Only ever seen bad reviews from cheap maps from inexperienced back street garages and plug and play boxes.

Most good mappers will store your original map and put it back to standard for you free of charge if you don't like it. Granted you may lose money on the remap but at least you know then, if you go to someone like Rick at unicorn then I'd bet my house you wouldn't be disappointed. As above as long as your engine is in good order, go for it.

The standard car will take a stage 1 map quite happily. Clutch would be the main thing that would hinder you, but the rest of the car will laugh at it. They definitely come alive with a map. The standard power for some isnt enough. It doesnt make you a boy racer, it makes you an ethusiast. Ive gone to silly extremes but thats what i like to do, especially when ive built it myself. Its not for everyone but theres nothing wrong with having an itch for more power.

not sure about anyone else , but, i find fuel quality makes a massive difference to performance in these engines.
I've been trying various so called performance fuels for a while now with most only making a little difference to the output of the engine over standard 95 ron, but by far the most noticable jump up has been when using shell's super unleaded super fandago rocket fuel, the car just goes like stink , well it did anyway before but the throttle response is so much crisper and pulls stronger all the way , i'll be using for the forseeable future , even if i do need to drive a bit futher from home to fill up.
I found it works best to get the tank right on min, 5 miles range left and then fill up the tank and then just continue using it, that way there will be more super nitro plus or whatever they call it than lesser unleaded fuel.
i was going to get a remap but over the last 12 months i've grown to get used to the way it is now and have adjusted my driving style to suit it, and i like it just the way it is now,.
just my input chaps.

the first thing I do to ANY of my cars is get them remapped. They never come from the factory for best performance or MPG, so its a no brainer

Reactions: Marc B7 and Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
not sure about anyone else , but, i find fuel quality makes a massive difference to performance in these engines.
.......by far the most noticable jump up has been when using shell's super unleaded super fandago rocket fuel, the car just goes like stink , well it did anyway before but the throttle response is so much crisper and pulls stronger all the way , i'll be using for the forseeable future , even if i do need to drive a bit futher from home to fill up..

That is the only fuel I use, on the odd occasion where I have had to put something else in it has felt positively crap.

I just sold an old 2.8i Z3 and that was the same, you could hear the difference with other fuel.

The knock sensor on these will reduce power by around 7%, and mpg will suffer around the same, so absolutely no financial reason to use anything other than a decent 98/99ron.
In fact probably cost you a lot more in the long term as the super have far better cleaners added to them.