Is it the clutch ?

soldier4313

A4 Avant B9 2.0 Tdi
Reaction score
So I've just bought the car below back from a work colleague. I owned the car around 4 years ago and it was immaculate and when I found out it was just sat waisting away I offered him £500 for it and he said yes, he has let it sit for around 8 months with what he said is a knackered clutch. I paid £8K for it so £500 is a steal if it’s just the clutch

So when I dip the clutch and put the car in gear and release, nothing ? No bite in any of the gears. Am I right in saying it’s the clutch ?

Attachments

• 05C2E57E-DAAA-44BE-93C0-7F6BA86D8886.jpeg
    05C2E57E-DAAA-44BE-93C0-7F6BA86D8886.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
So I've just bought the car below back from a work colleague. I owned the car around 4 years ago and it was immaculate and when I found out it was just sat waisting away I offered him £500 for it and he said yes, he has let it sit for around 8 months with what he said is a knackered clutch. I paid £8K for it so £500 is a steal if it’s just the clutch

So when I dip the clutch and put the car in gear and release, nothing ? No bite in any of the gears. Am I right in saying it’s the clutch ?

Pedal goes right to the floor with a lack of pressure and very little resistance ?

So it’s 2.0 tdi special edition 170 bhp 2wd with 130k on the clock,

Pedal goes right to the floor, the gear stick goes into all gear but when released the gears don’t engage

Very possibly one or more of the following.
faulty master or slave cylinder
faulty hydraulic release
broken clutch release bearing / arm
broken diaphramspring in clutch pressure plate.

Reactions: soldier4313
As Rob suggests, it's not the clutch itself. Likely a cylinder. Time to troubleshoot :) Shouldn't be a terribly expensive fix, hopefully.

Thanks for the comments, not being very mechanically minded is there a few
simple/easy things I can check my myself to fault find, it’s going into my local garage on Monday for him to give it a once over so having a little bit of an understanding of what it could be would help me.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can check to see if any of the following parts above have gone?

If you trust your local garage wait till Monday. I personally wouldn't know where to start so I'd leave it to the pros.

It depends on weather you are of a mechanical inclination really, I know what i'd do and be looking for but explaining on here would be a bit drawn out .
I'd recommend having a look on the webby for specific info relating to the A4 B7 , there are some guides on youtube aswell on clutch issues and master /slave problems and locations .

As you can engage all the gears without issue it does point towards a more specific area such as my suggestions.
master /slave cylinders would be my first point of call as the car has been stood up for a fair and there is a very good chance they are being problematic.

i'll see if I can a guide that can you to help, it will still me some hands on i'm afraid.

Master cyl is under the ECU box , slave cyl is ontop of the gearbox casing , unless you know what you're looking for though maybe leave it for your garage.
Just my input and all down to you really.