Is it just me who thinks this?......

evotista

Reaction score
I do a lot of miles travelling every year...both in the car and also on foot walking here and there. Since i tend to look out for audis wherever i am i think their alloy designs whilst mainly OK aren't consistently that striking. However it seems to me BMW get their alloy designs right every time....there almost seems to be 20/30 different "striking" designs in the beemer camp whereas audi seem to only have the following "special" ones as a main

5 soke star
6 spoke avus
9 spoke TT/RS4
5 spoke RS6
5 spoke Trapez

maybe one or two others ...but not much

Does anyone think like me audi could do with some better design/imagination in the alloy dept?

Yeah i believe they could have a lot better designs and be a lot more radical on a some of them but they seems to do stuff that will apeal to the mass market and Audi drivers tend to be a little more reserved than that of the brash BM driver this is just my opinion on something which i have observed over many years! Good point to bring up though mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

It could just be that Audi only accept certain alloys as being of high enough quality?

I know Toyota SA test the alloys and for their performance RunX, there was only 1 16inch alloy up to their standard out of many tested. Both local and imported alloys were tested.

Personally i think your right, beamers have much more choice and/or just nicer looking alloys, audi always seem a little behind all the time, beamer = common rail diesel, audi = pump duse, thye even seem to get more out of the same stock engine too.

Come on Audi, i don't want to buy a beamer but...

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone think like me audi could do with some better design/imagination in the alloy dept?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I Agree, you have to pay top dollar if you want nice wheels, my A4 come with 16" alloys which made the handling feel like a ford sierra! I immediately noticed the difference in looks and handling when I put a nice set of 18's on!

When you think of it Honda have same problem, especially with their new accord, the body looks very sharp and modern, but the wheels let the car down, too thin and small and too much gap in the wheel arch!

[ QUOTE ]
It could just be that Audi only accept certain alloys as being of high enough quality?

I know Toyota SA test the alloys and for their performance RunX, there was only 1 16inch alloy up to their standard out of many tested. Both local and imported alloys were tested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er if that was the case why are Audi exchanging the RS4 alloys when they split / buckle? im sure theres a few links about this here!
And to make things worse, they are a very nice style alloy too, huh!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er if that was the case why are Audi exchanging the RS4 alloys when they split / buckle? im sure theres a few links about this here!
And to make things worse, they are a very nice style alloy too, huh!

I think Audi 5E was only stating what happens were he lives and as he is an Audi fan as myself he would not slag them!!!

like you im an Audi fan, I wouldnt waste my driving life in one or spend evenings looking through an Audi website if I wasnt, i'm merely mentioning the fact that not all Audi components match up to the standards which we have come to accept, wether it be in design or style quality,

Sorry if you took it that I was slagging Audi off, Im totally smitten with my A4, but im pretty sure theres something about your car which you wished Audi had addressed before putting into mass production.

Without prejudice

These are the new wheels on the new RS4(looks like CTR wheels/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), think we are all gonna buy replicas of these for our Audi's in the future?

011__scaled_600_007.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Think we are all gonna buy replicas of these for our Audi's in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please no.

I don't want everyone with these on their cars when I get my RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At least you know why audi put the exclusive RS6 wheels onto all S-line models (and now there just uncommon), they obviously have the new RS4 wheels for the RS range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

"RS range"

What range? It's likely to be just the RS4 and RS6.

p.s. I dislike most BMW wheels as they seem too busy. The other thing that puts me off is that most seem to have lots of spokes which equals pain in the butt to clean!

The RS range of RS4 and RS6 yes, correct Scotty, and also the RS3 which Audi say probably won't get built, which means it will, espcially when BMW pull out an M1 out of the bag, and also the new RS-TT.

RS-TT, if it happens will not be before 2010.

RS3 - The last I heard was the factory were undecided. The dilema they have is trying to fit in an S3 and an RS3 in the market space available. There's already the 3.2 and they don't want to squash the A4 range (e.g. S4, A4 coupe, S4 coupe possibly etc).
The platform can only handle a certain amount due to the size and I've been told that due to this that 350 would be unlikely. If we say 350 is actually the max then we'd go RS3=350 and S3=300 which is only 50 up on the 3.2. If gets really tight for space and with the amount extra an RS model demands it probably wouldn't be worth it for 50bhp.

Whether they end up doing both or not I don't know...and I'm not sure they do yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif