Is it hard to replace Speaker's?

BigladGmcd

Reaction score
I have just purchased a A4 1.8T Sport Avant, it's black full cream leather and is very pleaseing on the eye. The only fault i can pick with the car is the speakers arn't great. It has the stereo upgraded to the symphony but why when the speakers are bad would you bother. I will shortly be putting in the audi sat nav system which my brother in law has fitted in his a3 and it sounds cracking but before i fit that i want to replace all speakers. My door cards have cream leather and the speakers dont look the most accessable so i dont want to make a balls of it and break anything.
Sooo has anyone replaced theirs and if so how difficult is it?:think:

thanks G

speakers are a door card off job but even then its not as easy at it seems.

They bolt to the rear of the card and are an odd fitment meaning you need adaptors, and most of the adaptors are crap.

I had a pair of infinity components to install in ours, and once fitted they sounded worse than the original nokia speakers because the speaker cone was touching the adaptor frame. I couldnt be bothered with the crap, so i refitted the nokias and installed a sub.

I'm pretty impressed with the setup now tbh, the sub fills in the bass nicely, and means that the door speakers arent having to work as hard and so sound a lot better.

Does your car have bose at all?

Thought it would be a mision

No sign of Bose at all im afraid.. i was thinking of a sub..
Does your sub have a built in amplifier and would it wire to the symphony head unit do you know?

IMO they are very easy to replace compared to some vehicles, for the front's you need 'Autoleads SAK-1104' which will give you a 5.25" aperture. Also for the front go for aftermarket components, i used 'vibe sek-5 components' in mine and mounted the xover on the outside of the doorcard. The tweeter was a straight fit in to the original mount, with no modifications needed as it's held in by a metal wire spring.

I had no problems with fitting the adapters or the speaker cone hitting on anything. Overall took me about 20 mins even with trying to find where to put the xover for the speakers. Even with just the front speakers installed and disconnected rears, i found that the speakers were twice as loud as all four original nokias going with the symphony head unit. I was using an Alpine 9833r at the time.

Rears you will need 'Autoleads SAK-1105' this will give u a 6.5" aperture.

Also you can replace the wiring with aftermarket ones, which should come with new speakers. But i never had a problem with originals, or a problem with them distorting before i went deaf. :)

Welcome back Phantom A4 long time no speak, get in touch mate.

BigladGmcd, i used the Autoleads adapters like these, However in my case i found it sounded worse so i put back the originals and installed a sub recommeded by Phantom A4 the Alpine type R sub to my Symphony HU. with an amp
i have to agree with aragorn sounds better with originals. AndyMac has done a conversion to the front door cards by making up an MDF ring on the door card was tricky to fit though.

Did mine in both my Avant and my current saloon. Both were pretty straight forward. Not sure what my adapters were but they were only a tenner and have been perfect. My estate was fitted up with Kenwood components and my current saloon is running Focal components. Really very pleased with it. Biggest problem I had was finding somewhere to mount the crossovers behind the card.

Thanks a lot clearer now about the scale of the task, impressed with you custom enclosure. I want mine in that position looks very snug.. what materials have you used to make the enclosure?

I used polyester resin and chopped strand mat to make the rear and bottom of the box, plus MDF to make the front and top.

I'm not sure where you can get the stuff, halfords do little packs of "fibreglass kit" which are quite expensive and you'll need a few of them. I used some of a mates supply, you can see the large drum of the resin in one of the pics, and the mat was on a huge roll.