Is it financially sensible to sell my s5 and buy another?

Djayswitch

Reaction score
looking for a bit of advice here, ive recently been wanting to do a couple of bits to my 2008 v8 S5 i.e , get an aftermarket exhaust fitted, change alloys, lower it slightly. Nothing drastic, just tasteful mods. However my mileage is at 75k now and i feel it would be wise to sell by the time i hit the 90k mark? As this will probably only take me a year and a bit to reach i dont want to do anything to this car to then have to sell it soon after all the bits are done. So would it be wise to buy a similar age s5 with much lower mileage and then do the mods straight away so i can appreciate them for longer? I really love the car and would be happy to have another one for a few more years as they still look quite new and feel great still even though they are getting on a bit. Im also thinking about getting the next one with auto gearbox as i do lots of city driving nowadays.

Is it financially worth it to sell mine and get one almost indentical but just with much less miles???

Hmmm interesting question...!

Hard to tell as you could find someone selling a low mileage one for cheap, and sell your higher mileage one for a good price...or equally the other way around...!

In terms of mileage and depreciation, the question is going from 75k to 90k depreciate the same as going from 20k to 35k over the same period (and the same model year)? Not sure I know, but would imagine it flattens out at the higher mileages, so maybe you stand to lose more?

Then there is no telling if the one you buy is any more reliable than your one over the time you own it and modify it...your clutch could go in 10k miles and if you sell it on you've dodged a bullet. But equally the new one you buy could go bang soon after too....

Personally I don't think it's worth the time and hassle in selling and buying a new one, but that's just me.

Presuming you are looking to stick to the V8 S5, and not change to the FL V6?

Cheers for the reply mate. i mean really, the main reason im thinking of selling is i know its harder to sell cars in general when they start getting to 90-100k as less people will look for them with that high mileage, but id like to just get another s5 as i really dont know of a car that ticks all the boxes for me quite like this one for the same money. I mean it still looks the ******** and is a real head turner, its a v8, its luxurious inside and out, and there aint much that matches the performance for this price. Im really wanting to get another and do it up a bit and really get the most from it rather than ***** loads more money on a Merc or an M3 etc with similar spec. i have seen one with 35k on the clock same age as my car, identical colour and interior for a lot less than i thought and with an auto box. Just dunno really, tricky one. And yeah, has to be v8 really, the v6 is a bit boring in comparison isnt it?

you COULD get one with much lower miles which could turn out to be a money pit? From what ive read S5s are tempremental to say the least, if yours runs really well and drives well you might be kicking yourself if you buy a low mileage lemon.

its only money mate! Enjoy what you have :)

Cheers for the reply mate. i mean really, the main reason im thinking of selling is i know its harder to sell cars in general when they start getting to 90-100k as less people will look for them with that high mileage, but id like to just get another s5 as i really dont know of a car that ticks all the boxes for me quite like this one for the same money. I mean it still looks the ******** and is a real head turner, its a v8, its luxurious inside and out, and there aint much that matches the performance for this price. Im really wanting to get another and do it up a bit and really get the most from it rather than ***** loads more money on a Merc or an M3 etc with similar spec. i have seen one with 35k on the clock same age as my car, identical colour and interior for a lot less than i thought and with an auto box. Just dunno really, tricky one. And yeah, has to be v8 really, the v6 is a bit boring in comparison isnt it?

Depends what you mean by boring...!

Sound wise, there is no comparison. V8 trumps the V6. Tuning wise though, unless you fork out a lot of cash on a supercharger for the V8, there isn't much you can do for power. The V6 can easily push to 470BHP/570nm with a remap and pulley upgrade.

I have read quite a few threads of the gearboxes going on both the manual and auto V8s. On the other hand, have hardly read any issues for the B8.5 V6s.

Changing to auto could be a good reason for making a change, but i don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

You know your car and its pedigree so do the mods and run it into the ground and after a few more years any money you get from the sale is a bonus (and this from a man who has changed his A3/S3's every 18 months years for the last 4 years)