1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Audi high beam assist like BMWs?

meph137 Feb 15, 2018

1. meph137

meph137 Active Member Audi S4 Black Edition

Hey all, I have a 2018 S4 with high beam assist (code 8N7) and xenons. The Audi spec guide for my model year says this about the high beam assist:

Variable headlight range control featuring a camera on the interior mirror which registers sources of light from other road users. The range and width of the headlight beam are continuously varied between dipped and main beam to suit ambient conditions, ensuring that the headlights provide good visibility without dazzling other road users

The BMW system dynamically adjusts the headlights to avoid other cars, ie they don’t just flip between high and low. Does the Audi system do this?

See video:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. meph137

Note the reason I ask is because it doesn’t look to me that it does do this, and the wording seems a bit ambiguous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rccoleman

rccoleman New Member

Audi Matrix LED headlights can do that, but the Full LED headlights that are available in NA don't. For those, high-beam assist just toggles between low and high automatically depending on whether the front camera sees enough light ahead of the car.

5. meph137

Ok that’s what I thought. I don’t have LED, just Xenon, but it’s the same I think.

Shame because I find it fairly pointless because it takes far too long to recognise oncoming cars, there have been many cases where it has kept full beam on for several seconds, blinding them. Not being able to rely on it means it’s a bit useless, and it also makes it very hard to control the beams manually. Shame really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk