Is Apple CarPlay wireless?

b1nuzz

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few videos on the YouTube that shows Americans and Germans being able to use CarPlay wirelessly in the C8, however mine certainly will not.
It’s not a big deal, as it generally sits on the Qi charger, right next to the USB port, but thought it worth asking others if they have it.

Tia.

My brother asked me that as he uses it wireless in his M3. I have a feeling you need Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connected but I’m yet to test it.

It would be nice if it was, the shorter journeys when it stays in your pocket.
Longer journeys when it is on the charger, you may as well plug it in, so doesn’t make too much of a difference.

I think Google phone u can connect wirelessly.other u can little difficult

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

In the UK, neither Android Auto or Carplay are wireless, you have to use the USB cable, which sort of makes wireless charging a bit redundant.
I think you can get them in the US and maybe even CarPlay is available with wireless in the UK, but only for BMW, where you need a subscription?

Reactions: Whimsy
Correct, with the BMW you have to pay for it, but then in the USA they have to also pay for Audi Connect..

Reactions: DaveW
In the UK, neither Android Auto or Carplay are wireless, you have to use the USB cable, which sort of makes wireless charging a bit redundant.
I think you can get them in the US and maybe even CarPlay is available with wireless in the UK, but only for BMW, where you need a subscription?

That’s really dull, but as I suspected. It does indeed make the charging point almost pointless. I guess the AirPods case can go on there.

I cant speak for CarPlay, but the Audi MMI is better than using Android Auto.

As said, does make the wireless charging a bit pointless if you have to plug it in for the car play!

Rather frustratining that we don't have the option for CarPlay wirelessly, not exactly good use of technology

I’ve got the same. I’ve tried everything to get it to connect wirelessly in line with the videos on the Audi site - and it won’t. The car has the ability to do it obviously (as per Audi’s videos) and why it’s not there is another one of those mysteries I suppose. Shame......

I’ve got the same. I’ve tried everything to get it to connect wirelessly in line with the videos on the Audi site - and it won’t. The car has the ability to do it obviously (as per Audi’s videos) and why it’s not there is another one of those mysteries I suppose. Shame......

Looking at video, I think wireless CarPlay requires the car to have the Wi-fi service enabled. In the uk this requires an additional payment via the myAudi site. It looks as if this is included for the first 6 months in the us after which it is additional cost. Maybe that we too can wireless CarPlay if we pay for Wi-fi service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CarPlay goes wireless in the FL A4

Reactions: cuke2u
My apple car play works wirelessly. The dealer set it up when i collected in October last year.

My apple car play works wirelessly. The dealer set it up when i collected in October last year.

Thank you for letting me know! I don't know what kind of magic they performed to get it to work but I guess I'll have to wait until going out and about is permissible again! :D

I was just going by the fact that a) it's explicitly mentioned in the owner's manual as "not supported", and b) I have busted my a55 to get it to work (VCDS, etc.) and bupkis. ... thank you for providing a glimmer of hope ...

Thank you for letting me know! I don't know what kind of magic they performed to get it to work but I guess I'll have to wait until going out and about is permissible again! :D

I was just going by the fact that a) it's explicitly mentioned in the owner's manual as "not supported", and b) I have busted my a55 to get it to work (VCDS, etc.) and bupkis. ... thank you for providing a glimmer of hope ...
If you have a FL vehicle with the touch screen MMI then wireless Audi Smartphone interface is possible as long as you have the needed MMI firmware version.

Thank you, @DJAlix, I am cautiously optimistic that this will end up working out. Phil to the rescue! Let's see if he's still in the biz and able to tackle these 2020s ... I'd rather pay to get the MMI upgraded than go to a dealership and get it for free. I'm still fuming over the lease experience (soon to be purchase).

Quick update: Phil doesn’t touch the new MMI interfaces, he claims there’s no demand. That’s probably true in big part because of the Over The Air update feature. I called two dealers and they both claimed ignorance (on both updating the MMI as well as getting Wireless CarPlay to work). I’m just going to buy one of those dongles and if I ever figure this out, I’ll just donate it to anyone who has wired CarPlay but not wireless. That same dongle works on so many different brands.

If you have a FL vehicle with the touch screen MMI then wireless Audi Smartphone interface is possible as long as you have the needed MMI firmware version.

Have you seen this work in a Face Lift A4/S4? What market was that vehicle in?

I enabled the 5GHz WiFi hotspot via VCDS and it made no difference. All I can see is one network. I even disabled the 2.4GHz one. I connected with my laptop and it’s indeed the 2.4GHz one. These settings mean nothing.

Have you seen this work in a Face Lift A4/S4? What market was that vehicle in?

I enabled the 5GHz WiFi hotspot via VCDS and it made no difference. All I can see is one network. I even disabled the 2.4GHz one. I connected with my laptop and it’s indeed the 2.4GHz one. These settings mean nothing.
Takes more than just activating 5ghz wifi to turn on wireless ASI.

Takes more than just activating 5ghz wifi to turn on wireless ASI.

I also enabled wireless CP/AA, rhmi (whatever the f that is), and whatever else was identified by the users on the OBDEleven Pro forum.

I get it, you do this for a living and you’re not going to give the recipe away for free. Do you do any remote work? :tearsofjoy:

I also enabled wireless CP/AA, rhmi (whatever the f that is), and whatever else was identified by the users on the OBDEleven Pro forum.

I get it, you do this for a living and you’re not going to give the recipe away for free. Do you do any remote work? :tearsofjoy:
whats your MIB systems current firmware / software version?

Software version is 3243. Here’s all of the info:

Software Version: 3243
MMI Software Version: release-32.9-1933-SNAPSHOT-20.08.2019-15:27:20
Navigation database: V03959807CN_P0366_NA_2020.05
Media driver: CL32_MIB3H_AU_ER_G45S_1903007PROD-1
Gracenote database: Region=NORTH_AMERICA - Version=3
Hardware; H8W2035050
Software version: MHI3_US_AUG45S_P3243

Delete ALL devices from your MIB, that's all bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay items.

In 5F > Adaptations change the following:
  • MirrorLink = On
  • Wifi Client HMI = On
  • Apple DIO Wireless = On
  • wlan 5ghz switch = activation
  • Apple DIO = On
  • Reset MIB Unit (long press power button)
  • Once rebooted DO NOT connect any device via USB. Make sure your Wifi HotSpot is turned on.
Pair your device via Bluetooth as per normal. During the process you should be asked to activate Apple CarPlay. If this does not happen then delete all devices again, reset MIB, connect device to wifi then start the bluetooth pairing process.

Modifications and retrofits is indeed how I make my living. If this information helsp you then you are more than welcome to send a donation via PayPal.

2019 Vehicle with retro-activated ASI I did in January:

3 4

Delete ALL devices from your MIB, that's all bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay items.

In 5F > Adaptations change the following:
  • MirrorLink = On
  • Wifi Client HMI = On
  • Apple DIO Wireless = On
  • wlan 5ghz switch = activation
  • Apple DIO = On
  • Reset MIB Unit (long press power button)
  • Once rebooted DO NOT connect any device via USB. Make sure your Wifi HotSpot is turned on.
Pair your device via Bluetooth as per normal. During the process you should be asked to activate Apple CarPlay. If this does not happen then delete all devices again, reset MIB, connect device to wifi then start the bluetooth pairing process.

Modifications and retrofits is indeed how I make my living. If this information helsp you then you are more than welcome to send a donation via PayPal.

Believe me, if you help me get this working, there’s a donation coming your way. However, the above settings were also found on the OBDEleven forum for the A7. I don’t know if they’re specific to that dongle or car but VCDS doesn’t show these specific settings. I found some equivalent ones but there’s no “5GHz switch”. I did turn on the 5GHz hotspot settings in VCDS. Bupkis.

I’m tempted to buy an OBDEleven Pro but I have a feeling it won’t do anything for my S4. I have yet to find a 2020 S4 driver who got theirs working.

Believe me, if you help me get this working, there’s a donation coming your way. However, the above settings were also found on the OBDEleven forum for the A7. I don’t know if they’re specific to that dongle or car but VCDS doesn’t show these specific settings. I found some equivalent ones but there’s no “5GHz switch”. I did turn on the 5GHz hotspot settings in VCDS. Bupkis.

I’m tempted to buy an OBDEleven Pro but I have a feeling it won’t do anything for my S4. I have yet to find a 2020 S4 driver who got theirs working.
Send me an adaptation map of your 5F.

Yup, a good portion of the information I supply ends up posted all over the place and is one of the reasons as to why I don't post so much anymore :(

Send me an adaptation map of your 5F.

Yup, a good portion of the information I supply ends up posted all over the place and is one of the reasons as to why I don't post so much anymore :(

I’m sorry to hear that. I would quit sharing as well. People need to share the love but also show appreciation where it’s due.

I’ll try to get you the 5F adaptations shortly. I’m sure VCDS has an export function ...

I’m sorry to hear that. I would quit sharing as well. People need to share the love but also show appreciation where it’s due.

I’ll try to get you the 5F adaptations shortly. I’m sure VCDS has an export function ...
VCDS Main Screen > Applications > Controller Channel Map
  • Single Address = 5F
  • Function = Adaptations
  • Output = CSV
Leave all other settings as is.

VCDS Main Screen > Applications > Controller Channel Map
  • Single Address = 5F
  • Function = Adaptations
  • Output = CSV
Leave all other settings as is.

Attached! Mind you, I've taken several stabs at the settings suggested on OBDElevenPro, including making inferences! (like, 5Ghz_switch = turn 5GHz on and turn 2GHz off!) :D ... no permutation or variation has helped ... or hurt, so far.

Attachments

• adpmap-5F-8W2-035-050_WAUC4AF46LA029063-20200405-0827.CSV.txt
    123 KB · Views: 239
Attached! Mind you, I've taken several stabs at the settings suggested on OBDElevenPro, including making inferences! (like, 5Ghz_switch = turn 5GHz on and turn 2GHz off!) :D ... no permutation or variation has helped ... or hurt, so far.
Need it to be a CSV file please:

Screenshot 2020 04 05 at 143619 2