Is a short shift good or bad idea

Dohs3

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the forge short shift for my s3 2007 the gearbox is not as tight as it once was just wondering if anyone has fitted one and are they good as every day mod planing on maybe few track days in the future so seems like a good idea to get the feel of the gear shift as good as i can

Looking to fit one to my vrs octavia which is basically the same car but had one in my b5 before and it was well worth it and I used the car daily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother you'll get more out of the gear shift bush kits from 034 Motorsport or 42 Draft Designs. These remove all play in the gear stick. If you really want a short shift it's probably better to actually reduce the length of the stick.

Reactions: paddy
I've got both short shift kits fitted (reduced horizontal and vertical movement) along with 42 Draft Design bushes and the gear shift is so much better than stock, everything feels much tighter and easier to engage. The stock S3 gearshifts are like stirring a can of soup!

So I have both as well and didn't notice much with either of the forge kits - however once the bushes were installed it all changed ...

Ive just messaged awesome about the draft 42 bush kit need to take a photo for them to know what kit it is so will do that after work an hopefully order a kit latter or tomorrow

Reactions: samuelh_888
100% the metal bushings (got mine from awesomegti) and just a ebay short shifter bracket - felt so much better after.

I just took a pic of the cables on the relay lever and shifter and got a reply pretty much straight away and got them ordered

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
Has anyone seen the Diesel Geek kit that is done for Golfs? I have seen a video on you tube that shows them replacing bushes under the gear lever itself to remove the slack from the side to side movement of the gear lever and front to back movement of the gear lever. I have an APR solid shifter cable bracket fitted - not cheap! - and I still have play in the gear stick movement which I now think is related to the bushes Diesel Geek replace in the gear lever housing. Has anyone fitted the draft designs or 034 bushes and do you still have play in the gear lever?

You tube link to Diesel Geek:

Has anyone seen the Diesel Geek kit that is done for Golfs? I have seen a video on you tube that shows them replacing bushes under the gear lever itself to remove the slack from the side to side movement of the gear lever and front to back movement of the gear lever. I have an APR solid shifter cable bracket fitted - not cheap! - and I still have play in the gear stick movement which I now think is related to the bushes Diesel Geek replace in the gear lever housing. Has anyone fitted the draft designs or 034 bushes and do you still have play in the gear lever?

You tube link to Diesel Geek:

I have forge short shifter and 42dd inserts and simply had an card cut to a measure and inserted it between white joint of the gear lever and the housing. Everything is pretty tight now. There's a video on youtube how to do that with the dimensions of the insert.
I would say that dieselgeek sigma 6 is a better solution than forge. You don't need cable inserts with it. Friend of mine has it and it's a much better solution than mine.

Here you go mate.

Reactions: crazylegscrane
Sounds very w4nk but i bought a forge rep short shifter on here for £20 and its one if the best mods ive done on mine out of the very many! Changes the shabby long throw! I've got a 2.0tfsi stage 2 and it really helps with the fast gear changes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sounds very w4nk but i bought a forge rep short shifter on here for £20 and its one if the best mods ive done on mine out of the very many! Changes the shabby long throw! I've got a 2.0tfsi stage 2 and it really helps with the fast gear changes

Hi @Cambaines, would it be possible to get a pic of this mod? Is this under the shifter or in the engine bay on the gearbox?
Thank you!

Hi @Cambaines, would it be possible to get a pic of this mod? Is this under the shifter or in the engine bay on the gearbox?
Thank you!
Hi buddy, it lies under my CAI, it's a copy of this forge shifter, easy 15 minute swap, again you can find a copy of this part for a fraction of the price, it's just a moulded bit of steel at the end of the day, message me if you want more info matey, I'm happy to talk you though it
b53c4fc2b2a8c3f37843cfca6a8ef6fc.jpg

Reactions: samuelh_888
You're welcome!
To get to the mechanism you need to pull up the front part then the back. It goes out easy. Pull it over the gear knob.
Well i'd say it needs a bit of force and patience to pull the joint out. Not too much room so take your time. Be sure to get all securing clips (or whatever they are called) locked back.

Excellent, I've had the cover off the gear lever before and if it can be done without removing anything else it sounds like my kind of mod, nice and easy and cheap for a change!