Is 25mpg normal for a 2.0 sport?

AndyF

Reaction score
Just filled up my A4 sport 2.0 petrol for the first time and worked out it did about 25mpg. I was expecting low 30's so am a bit gutted! It is not the FSI and is not a Quattro. My drives are mainly B roads with not too much stop start. I tried to search other threads before posting but struggled to find A4 petrol specific ones.

My 3.0 v6 quattro averages around 30, so I reckon yours is pretty low !

My 3.0 v6 quattro averages around 30, so I reckon yours is pretty low !

WOW how do you achieve that??

Is your use 99.9% motorway at 60mph and the other 0.01% pulling off your drive straight on the motorway :)

I drive mine 85% of the time very sensibly with the odd burst of heavy boot and i manage a fraction over 20mpg and Im safe in the knowledge my car is in top mechanical health.

I've heard of other 3.0 V6 owners getting 24-25mpg driven very conservatively with mainly motorway miles,

So what's your secret?

My old 3.0v6 cab 2wd used to average 25, so you're doing well getting 30! I average 33 in my 1.8t 2wd cab, so I would think your 2.0 is a little on the low side

I get about 24 mpg average on my daily commute that's in a 2.4 petrol cab.

used to get 24-25 out of 3.0 q sport manual and get 21-24 out of s4 manual with mixture of driving so yours doesnt sound right. is it getting up to temperature properly?

It seems to be, the temperture reads bang on the middle but not sure how long it takes to get there. It has done 127k miles and although the cambelt was changed in July last year when it snapped I don't think it was serviced but then is a cambelt and head gasket change pretty much a service?

WOW how do you achieve that??

Is your use 99.9% motorway at 60mph and the other 0.01% pulling off your drive straight on the motorway :)

I drive mine 85% of the time very sensibly with the odd burst of heavy boot and i manage a fraction over 20mpg and Im safe in the knowledge my car is in top mechanical health.

I've heard of other 3.0 V6 owners getting 24-25mpg driven very conservatively with mainly motorway miles,

So what's your secret?
Just pretty sensible driving, nearly all motorway, cruise set at 70 so its just sitting there, never used anything less than ron 97, mainly 200 mile journeys, its quite easily achieved Iif you wanna be bored !
But with the cost of petrol it makes sense

depends on a few things
how you drive
where you drive it etc etc

and is this 25mpg from the dis or real world driving ?

Just pretty sensible driving, nearly all motorway, cruise set at 70 so its just sitting there, never used anything less than ron 97, mainly 200 mile journeys, its quite easily achieved Iif you wanna be bored !
But with the cost of petrol it makes sense

Cool

Think i might give super unleaded a try and see if i can improve my mpg.

I meant to mention in my pm about the oil consumption. Mine used about 1litre every 1k miles or so with only 104k on it, so keep an eye.

That's the main reason why I sold it!