Is £8900 to much to pay?

ZIFFBOBBIT

Reaction score
Hello,

Just joined the forum today as I'm currently looking at buying an S3 2003 model.

I've seen a purple one on autotrader for 8800 it has only 49000 miles and a full Audi service history and one owner.

However I cant decide if it is worth paying more for a low millage car or get one with average say 70 to 80000 as I do roughly 15 to 20000miles a year, and then spend the money I'd save having the engine rebuilt in a few years time?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ziffbobbit

That is alot of money regardless of mileage and history. One owner is a plus tho, and the purple is an amazing colour and very rare.
With the miles you do I think it would be abit of a waste and would lose a lot of value after a couple of years if you paid that much.

Thanks for the reply.

yeah the de-valuation is a bit of a concern for me. However its the only purple one I've seen so far. Its got all the optional exras on it with cream leather too.

Any idea how many miles the 1.8t engines are good for?

I doubt I would sell it for at least 5 years because I like to keep my cars for a while.

whats the difference between 8p and 8l then ? I would def try and get some money of it tho:sly:

You couldnt get an 8p at all for around that, they start at 15k!
Have you been to see any yet? Do it, then seeing the purple one youl know how good it is. 7.5k max i would say but the seller obv wants more than that, I think he needa a reality check to be honest lol.
The engines and gearbox etc are good with lots of miles, really Strong, and if maintained well they will last a hell of a long time, many of the lads on here have owned there cars for years and are well over 100k miles, mine is on 136k and feels good given the age and mileage of it. Don't be put off by miles, its servicing, maintenance and plenty of reciepts that counts in my opinion.

Ok i'll look into them. yeah I know I've seen them for less but always with double millage and say around 4-6000 plus only part audi service history. My other idea was to buy something cheaper at say 80000 millage and then have the engine rebuilt in a few years time.

Aint seen any yet, gonna go see it on saturday coming its on flemings cars website atm if u want to have a look.

And remember low mileage can mean hard mileage, school runs where the engine never gets to temp, wear and tear is far greater when the engine is cold. Totally crazy paying a massive premium for low mileage in the naive belief that this will give you troublefree motoring.

I wouldn't loose sleep about your car not having a full Audi service book either. Been loads of stories about them not replacing any parts at all and still charging. It could happen on a independent garage though..would just be cheaper :rolleyes:

Don't do it....horrible colour anyway :sly:

Way overpriced anyway tbh. Buying one with that low mileage anyway just means you are going to have to fork out for the inevitable failures once it starts getting daily use, bushes, clutch etc.

Kinda the opposite for me bought a s reg ford fiest years ago with 27000 on and all i ever bought for it was tires,wishbones and a waterpump in 5years had just over 90000 when i got rid of it. plus my current car atm has been a pain in terms of replacing bits..steering rack, power steering pump and that had 74000 on it when i got it (maybe because its a MG lol).

I'd get with over 70k miles, as this is normally where the cambelt gets done, if you get a that car ( it should have a new cambelt anyway) then in 20k time youll need a major service on it anyway.

yeah im tempted by ones with 70k on but your still looking at about 5-6.5k for those ones?

If I was looking for one again, knowing what I do etc, and having been on here, I would buy one enthusiast owned, preferably off someone on here, I wouldnt be put off by mods, which I was, and I'd be looking for lots of receipts for wear and tear items i.e suspension, brakes, bushes, drivetrain etc. Id also be looking for one with as recent cambelt job done, meaning no forking out for another 50k. mileage wise, I wasnt too fussed, when i was looking originally I wanted as close to 100k, but when I was looking they wer around 5.5 - 6k for that mileage. Mileage kinda does depend on budget, but by no means does that reflect the condition and life of the car!

A3 1.8tq still get 4wd as the s3 little underpowered compaired but alot cheaper and also more rare its an idea most people go with the s3 i prefer the A3 quattro

bought mine for £700 and swapping my 106 gti in for £2800 so was ment to be £3500 only had 60k on clock

I wouldnt be bothered about millage to much, proof of maintenance is the key thing, fash may mean its been on long life service all its life and not had a regular oil change something most on here would say it needs. Have a look about and dont get to hung up on milage, if you get a looked after one and keep on top of the maintenance (regualar oil changes) then you wont need a rebuild in several years time.

To be honest, for the type of mileage the OP is thinking of doing, I would go with TDI, but that's just me. Just for your information, I have an S3 on 156k miles running perfect, it's also modified with uprated suspension and running 251bhp, and I have a Passat TDI with 181k miles on the clock, again, this car is running modified suspension and around 140bhp with no problems at all.

yeah im tempted by ones with 70k on but your still looking at about 5-6.5k for those ones?

hi mate, where abouts are you from? mines going up for sale soon as i'm trying to get a house deposit together. 2000/2001 facelift, 54k miles, full audi history, etc. looking for around £6000