iPod connector or AMI?

elrao

Reaction score
When I bought my car the advert said it had AMI. I took my iPod and I thought I remembered it having the full integrated interface (can see artists names, playlists etc), but now I'm not so sure!

Today I plugged my iPod in to use it properly for the first and it came up under media as the 6cd changer, like the aftermarket interfaces do.

On the test drive I vaguely remember seeing the multi-cd option and wondering if there was a cd changer tucked away as well as the iPod connection in the glove box, but I also thought I remembered a full iPod interface!!

In the glove box I've got a dock (not a lead) which I push the iPod into it. In my S4 and S5 (MMI 3G and 2G), that both had proper AMI they both had a set up with a short, interchangeable cable.

So have I only got an iPod connection and not AMI? If that's the case then do you think it's worth taking it up with the dealer as advert clearly says Audi Music Interface - but then I had a chance to check the car out before agreeing to buy.

Think its the same as this

ipod%20integration%20-%20retrofit.jpg

Which I think is the basic iPod control :(

Yeah if it's a direct iPod only dock then it's the basic version that only treats your iPods first 6 playlists as if they a
were 6 CDs in a changer. No ID3 tag info with artist, track, album etc.

The proper AMI has a slide out tray in the glovebox and you can get a cables to connect iPod dock or a USB as you require. You also then get the track, artist etc info on the RNSE.

If it was advertised with AMI then yes complain to the dealer and either get some money back or ask them to get it retro fitted. Nigel (NHN) can retrofit. Suggest you drop him a pm for a price and then ask the dealer to stump up the cash to have him fit it all properly. He did my retrofit of RNSE with AMI and I can't recommend him enough.

Thanks - Had pretty much come to that conclusion. Will email them on Monday and see what they say. Got a few other niggles, like the fact the RNS-E was retrofit and not set up properly, exhaust is blowing a little still. Nice dry day tomorrow and I'll be able to give it a proper once over.

Can retrofit it myself, did a retrofit DAB and AMI on my S5 - just need to find the cheapest source of the retrofit kit and do some research on coding. Is looking like ~£350, although may get some cash back for the iPod kit.

That's the same as the one I retrofit to my S5 (different connections on the back, but looks the same!)