Ipod Adapter for Symphony II Headunit

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Chaps

Does anyone know where i can get an Ipod adapter for my Symphony II (its the 6 disc changer one) headunit? There are loads on ebay but unsure which one will actually fit and work.

A link would be great!

I've got the dension gateway set me back about £100 but works well.

I also have a dension gateway, its really good and displays song on the DIS.

I also got the Dension Gateway which displays track on the DIS. I would reccomend it as i've been using it for nearly a year now and works perfectly.

Can you still play CD's if you instal the Dension or do you just lose the changer?

You can still use the cd changer. Mine doesn't show track names, just gives me iPod ui:iPod ui on the dis or aux gw when using aux in on it.

cicrleswim there is a trick you can do to display track names etc on the display:-
put the unit into iPod GW mode using CD 6 and track 3 and holding down FF for 3 seconds

I've got the dension gateway set me back about £100 but works well.

Can you tell me how this works on a practical level.

The ipod is in the glove box, for example, and its permanently connected to the 6 cd changer via the Denison Gateway.

1. You turn on the ignition, does the music start straight away, or do you have to get the ipod out and turn it on, select album, etc.
2. Can you control the volume using the standard volume knob on the symphony. Normally if you press the volume knob in, it turns the music off. Does this feature work with the ipod.
3. When you turn the ignition off, does the ipod stop.

I have just bought a 6th generation nano (yes the very small one) and am looking into getting it installed into my 2005 A3 sport. I have a feeling you might get different results with different installations.

So just to confirm the Dension works with the Sym II head unit (6 disc internal changer)?

How do i know if my headunit is a Symphony II or Symphony II+?

Can you tell me how this works on a practical level.

The ipod is in the glove box, for example, and its permanently connected to the 6 cd changer via the Denison Gateway.

1. You turn on the ignition, does the music start straight away, or do you have to get the ipod out and turn it on, select album, etc.

I've got mine set up with the ash tray dock mod, see below. I dock iPod and press "cd" on the headunit, music plays instantly.

2. Can you control the volume using the standard volume knob on the symphony. Normally if you press the volume knob in, it turns the music off.
Does this feature work with the ipod.

Yes, press it and headunit turns off and stops charging iPod. Volume works as normal too.

3. When you turn the ignition off, does the ipod stop.

If you turn ignition off it'll continue playing until the key is taken out of the ignition barrel.

I have just bought a 6th generation nano (yes the very small one) and am looking into getting it installed into my 2005 A3 sport. I have a feeling you might get different results with different installations.

Woszki, just tried that "trick" but it didn't work for me. All I get is iPod ui as in pic of DIS below.

42b83237.jpg

a884d242.jpg

Circleswim, thanks for the reply. Specificaly, if you have the ipod playing, turn it off using the volume knob, then later turn it on, will it restart at the same place you stopped it at.

You have the Denison, do other makes operate differently.

paul_r

yes, the volume button works exactly as it does when using the radio etc.

Robin A3

yes i do have the GW16AC2, i specifically requested it when i ordered as I wanted to have the track names shown as per this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/67115-ipod-car-kit.html

I have been using the kit for about 10 months now and love it apart from the fact it wont show my track names, ive come to the conclusion that as my car is one of the pre 2006 s-lines my DIS aint advanced enough to decipher the tracks names.... it may well be a load of rubbish but thats what it seems like to me!

i have the 32ac2 version i think - it works for me

where abouts are living i could give you a hand if your local?

I have just ordered a Dension GW16AC2 kit for mine.

I have read that the stereo removal keys from ebay are crap, anyone got any genuine ones which they wouldn't mind lending me?

The eBay keys may be cheap but shred your fingers to pieces because the edges are burred really bad and bend out of shape when trying to remove the headunit. I never actually managed to remove the headunit with the eBay keys. Order some of the genuine audi ones from your dealer, set me back £7 I think for the set of 4 keys. They did the job perfect first time! I have some you can borrow if your any where near south Wales...

I have just ordered a Dension GW16AC2 kit for mine.

I have read that the stereo removal keys from ebay are crap, anyone got any genuine ones which they wouldn't mind lending me?

1. Where did you order it from.
2. Obviously, you are going to try to do it yourself. Let me know how it go's. (or even a photo diary, maybe thats pushing it a bit)

Good luck anyway.

1. Where did you order it from.
2. Obviously, you are going to try to do it yourself. Let me know how it go's. (or even a photo diary, maybe thats pushing it a bit)

Good luck anyway.

It's an easy job, plug n play.

I got mine from eBay for £130. ****** expensive but cheapest place I could find it for. I will be fitting it myself. I'll do a guide for it when I come to do it.

Yes, they are blo0dy expensive.

Looking on the Dension website there;s quite a few versions, text and non text, bluetooth, etc.