iPhone 5+data SIM = problems in 2013 Q7, looking for help...

paul_45

Reaction score
Recently upgraded my 2009 Q7 S-line to a 2013 S-line Plus, fully kitted out, and really like the HD NAV with Google. However my wife and I both have iPhone 5 which doesn't allow remote SIM profile (RSAP), so in order to use the internet enabled features of the car I picked up a data only SIM from Vodafone for £10/mth (for the SIM slot in the dash). Seemed like a no brainer given some of the great features you get with the data connection on the car - Google search, send a Google map destination to the car by internet, Google street view, wifi internet in the car, list goes on.

The problem I discovered is that the presence of the SIM card disables the hands free features of the iPhone when paired with the car by Bluetooth. It manages to download contacts, I can still stream media by BT, but when I go to dial from my contact list I get a 'network error' which tells me the car is trying to use the SIM (which has no voice enabled) to dial instead of the iPhone by hands free. Also, on the phone itself it shows it is connected to the car but if I initiate a call I get sound through the earpiece, not the car. The other problem I experience is that if I take the SIM out of the dash, I have to re-pair the phone to the car and then confirm download of contacts in order to enable hands free again. This is super annoying. I want to use data on my SIM and hands free on my phone - AT THE SAME TIME. I can imagine a lot of iPhone owners are discovering this problem and surprised Audi seems to have screwed this one up in their software. Anyone having the same problem? Anyone know of a workaround?

I will check that out, thanks. Should also say I'm still in touch with the dealer since the car is only weeks old and asked him to check with Audi technicians on it. Gave him a hard time about it too, makes no sense.

The other workaround I'm considering is to jailbreak my iPhone since I found an app that purports to do RSAP (see: Cydia Tweak RSAPserver Commercial 1.54-1 | idevice and android news). Just not sure if it will work with the AMI. I've been contemplating jailbreaking for a while, so maybe this will push me to do it.

AMI shouldn't be affected IMHO unless you're using with the BT dongle & not via cable, but it has a trial version you can test with beforehand.

Sadly I can't, already on iOS 6.1.3 and can't roll back to a version that has been jailbreaked.

Having a look around the net I think evasi0n iOS 6.x Jailbreak - official website of the evad3rs is the definitive one and you can see it is only up to 6.1.2. All the others seem to be some sort of scam (or accused of being such). The consensus seems to be no more jailbreaks until iOS 7 is released, so those of us on 6.1.3 or later are out of luck.

Audi replied back to me. Confirmed that if the SIM is present it takes priority over any BT paired phones, since you can't use two phones at once. Suggested getting a second SIM card on the same account, which I guess I will look into. That will solve the problem for my wife, but when I'm in the car, am still out of luck... really wish I could try the iOS JB but will have to wait for iOS 7 I guess. And btw the downgrade looks too complicated for me.

Buy an iphone with lower software level of ebay & test, you could get an I4 for reasonable money now even with JB :)

I think the idea is you get a voice/data SIM for the SIM slot and then use Bluetooth to download the contacts, unfortunately you have to divert your phone every time you get in and out of the car.

That's the best Audi have come up with so far unless you have an rSAP enabled phone like the Galaxy S series or some older nokias.

is this anything to do with the digital output licensing fee for the iphone 5 ???
apple wants to charge each individual maker a fee for being able to connect upto the iphone 5
as far as im aware the only company that has paid this to apple is pioneer as far as im aware a lot of other companies are refusing
to pay the surcharge and as a consequence cant connect upto the iphone 5 properly but can connect upto an iphone 4s

Hi,

MY14 Q5's allow simultaneous use of the SIM slot for data and iPhone hands free. And I have also been told there will be an update for older cars, but no date for that yet.

Hopefully this will be the case for the whole Audi range...

Not ideal still as you will have to pay for an extra SIM, but data only contracts are available for as little as £5 per month so it's not crazy money!

Will let you know when I get the update and will also see if my dealer knows about other models getting the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
Natural course of evolution, they should of sorted this ages ago, look forward to this update.

Giffgaff uses 02 & its not contract, £5 job done.

Coming back on this thread. Going to JB my iOS 7 ASAP and try this app I discovered called Cardonis. Claims to free the rSAP on a jail broken iPhone 5. We'll see how it goes. In case anyone has tried this, any luck?

Coming back on this thread. Going to JB my iOS 7 ASAP and try this app I discovered called Cardonis. Claims to free the rSAP on a jail broken iPhone 5. We'll see how it goes. In case anyone has tried this, any luck?

Interesting, but can't find any examples of people using it anywhere.
There is a trial so can't hurt to try tho.
Let us know how you get on, I've not bothered to JB since ios5 but this may tempt me back...

Just in case anyone is interested, I have a 2013 Q7 (which may be a 2014 MY?) with MMI + (or is it High?) that has the HDD and wireless network.

I have a data sim from Samba (Free data for watching adverts, or at least clicking them while you go surf on another tab - sim is just £2.50 if I refer you and I get £2.50 of credit, otherwise you pay £5)

I use the data for google maps and also the kids use it for facetime by connecting to the Audi's wireless network. All of this works in conjunction with my iPhone connected by bluetooth and used handsfree.

I've also used it for internet radio by using an app on my youngest's iPod to get internet radio by connecting to the net through the Audi's wireless network and then connecting the iPod via bluetooth to play back the sound. Even displays the songs being played!

I can check software version if required.

Cheers

Was your build week after week 22 2013? If so, you have MY14... I would almost guarantee you have that as the iphone is working with the sim for data.

I use the data for google maps and also the kids use it for facetime by connecting to the Audi's wireless network. All of this works in conjunction with my iPhone connected by bluetooth and used handsfree.

Really!!

The latest version from Audi doesn't allow you to do that. Any chance of a video showing it working?