iPhone 11 Bluetooth issues (and CarPlay activation)

mcpie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum having just bought a June 2016 3.0 Bi TDI A6 Avant - which I'm very much enjoying. I am based in the UK. I've searched the forums but don't see anything definitive about the problems I'm experiencing which result in the telephone side of the MMI hanging when a call comes in and the phone (iPhone 11 version 13.5) is connected via Bluetooth. Basically the system hangs when answer or reject is pressed. I think I need a newer firmware version. I'm currently running MHI2_ER_AU57x_S2519

Does this tally with anyones experiences? Glasgow Audi seem a little resistant to doing the update for me as they say they have no case history of it being a problem.

I would also like them to activate CarPlay which they seem to know little about. As I understand it, Cars built after June 2016 just need the feature enabled. My car was built in June and has the AMI socket in the centre armrest.

Many thanks for reading this far!

Ron

My 2016 C7 Bitdi suffers from Bluetooth interference on calls only, so much so it makes it useless.
I’ve tried iPhone 7, iPhone X and iPhone XS Max.
All suffer.
I’ve seen bmw have same issues also with iPhones and iOS 13.

my Bluetooth version is 3.70.4.

Mine does it all the ****** time. So frustrating.
Can’t answer the calls because it stalls. Then have to disconnect the Bluetooth and reconnect.
Im also in Glasgow. Haven’t dared approach a main dealer about it!

The dealers ability to activate the Audi Smartphone Interface (at a cost) is limited by the software revision on the car. Not all 2016 models can be activated. Dealer should be able to check from your VIN number or you could check in with @DJAlix.

A lot of Bluetooth issues can be fixed by:

1. Deleting your phone pairing and starting again.
2. Updating your phone to latest iOS.
3. Buying an Android phone :chuncky:

:racer:

I can see from the firmware detailed that you are in need of an update, which should solve your BT issues. I can do this via DHAutomotive in Falkirk. I can also activate Audi smartphone Interface on your Media system :)

Reactions: RAF_S7
I've had this issue for around 2 months now. I have an iphone 11 pro. tried unpairing, soft resetting the phone, resetting the MMI...doing my head in. It's at Audi today for a service so I've asked them to update the MMI in the hope...

I'll report back. Standby...

I had issues for months with bluetooth on my saloon, apple replaced my phone, audi didn't want to know - ended up selling the car!

ok, car collected. Three Technicians connected their phones to my car in turn, two iphone X and some Android phone. The MMI worked faultlessly with all three, answered the phone with the top right button in the centre console, then reverted to radio on hanging up. As my MMI was fine until around a month/2 month ago, I can only assume it was my last iphone update that was the killer. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the next update deals with the issue. There's nothing wrong with the MMI. :smirk:

I can see from the firmware detailed that you are in need of an update, which should solve your BT issues. I can do this via DHAutomotive in Falkirk. I can also activate Audi smartphone Interface on your Media system :)

What is the most up to date Firmware? Mine is MHI2_ER_AU57x_S2519_1

Right...success!! I followed the instructions in that link. Basically I turned off Wifi, turned off .Syn Contacts' and turned off the 'Hey Siri' command. I then got my daughter to ring me whilst I sat in the car. The hands free feature worked as it should, I was able to answer the call using the top right button in the centre console and was able to hang up by pressing the scroll wheel. The radio play then resumed. All working as expected. I then switched my Wifi back on on my phone and she tried again...back to not being able to answer with the top right button and had to answer the actual phone itself, which only has the call going through the phone, not the hands free. Wouldn't let me end the call and when I hung up on the phone, the MMI was still hung on an incoming call screen with the 'Answer" logo flashing. I had to go into the phone settings and disable bluetooth to allow that screen to go off and the radio to come back on. I then disabled my phones Wifi and we tried again...all working as it should. The answer is to never have Wifi enabled on your phone whilst in the car. Or at least that's how it seems.
Phone Wifi AND Bluetooth both on = Problem
Phone Wifi OFF and Bluetooth ON = No Problem (so far, fingers crossed)

What is the most up to date Firmware? Mine is MHI2_ER_AU57x_S2519_1
MHI2_ER_AU57x_K3663 I believe is the latest and "end of life" firmware.

With VW Group media units BT issues are normally software related but glad you managed to sort it on the device side.

MHI2_ER_AU57x_K3663 I believe is the latest and "end of life" firmware.

With VW Group media units BT issues are normally software related but glad you managed to sort it on the device side.

Found a site that does the firmware updates and they reckon the newest SW is;
MHI2_ER_AU57x_P3634
Does that sound correct?

Found a site that does the firmware updates and they reckon the newest SW is;
MHI2_ER_AU57x_P3634
Does that sound correct?
no, as mentioned above its K3663. Just a heads up, sites selling firmware are not official.

Hi All,
I've got exactly the same problem with a new Iphone 11 on my 2015 Allroad. It's been working fine over the years with a iphone 5 and 8, now since upgrading the iphone to an 11 it freezes whenever a call comes in and I can't answer it. Only way to clear it from the MMI screen is switch off the engine and open the door. I've searched the web and there seems to be a lot of people with the same problem.
So i've tried
restoring factory settings on the MMI
delete iphone 11 from MMI bluetooth
delete car from iphone
re-pair the phone to the car
don't sync the contacts when pairing
switch off wifi on phone
switch of hey siri on phone
latest IOS 13.7 installed on phone
still doesn't work.....

I've got Firmware MHI2_ER_AU57x_S2519_1 on the car, don't know if that is making the problem.
My wife has a Q5 and her iphone 10 on IOS 13 is working fine.
Is it the iphone 11 that is the problem?

anyone got the same problem and fixed it?

many thanks
Hamish

Hi All,
I've got exactly the same problem with a new Iphone 11 on my 2015 Allroad. It's been working fine over the years with a iphone 5 and 8, now since upgrading the iphone to an 11 it freezes whenever a call comes in and I can't answer it. Only way to clear it from the MMI screen is switch off the engine and open the door. I've searched the web and there seems to be a lot of people with the same problem.
So i've tried
delete car from iphone
switch off wifi on phone
still doesn't work.....

I've got Firmware MHI2_ER_AU57x_S2519_1 on the car, don't know if that is making the problem.

many thanks
Hamish
You have an older firmware so would start by looking for someone who can perform an update to latest level. If in or can get to London I can assist.

Hi All,
So i've tried
delete car from iphone
switch off wifi on phone
still doesn't work.....

many thanks
Hamish
You have our site sponsor dh automotive in Falkirk who could sort this out for you.

Mine does it all the ****** time. So frustrating.
Can’t answer the calls because it stalls. Then have to disconnect the Bluetooth and reconnect.
Im also in Glasgow. Haven’t dared approach a main dealer about it!
Dh automotive in Falkirk can help you with this

You have an older firmware so would start by looking for someone who can perform an update to latest level. If in or can get to London I can assist.
Actually don’t know why I did not think of this, too early in the morning I guess, yes DHAutomotive in Falkirk. Dave can host a remote session for me to update your vehicle and more :)

Reactions: Sandra and 8YARWY
spoke to DH, really helpful going to see them next week, thanks for you help all.
Hopefully a firm ware update will fix it.

Reactions: Sandra
My wife is having the same issue. I created a thread the other week on here. Audi flashed the MMI & updated the firmware but still suffers from the same problem. I’ll try turning WiFi if & see if it helps. My iPhone X is fine, but my Wife’s iPhone 11 is still having issues that weren’t there for the first year or two.

just FYI guys, IOS 14 is available now to update your phones. No update message came up, but it should be available if you search for updates.

okay, left the car with DH Automotive today for a software update. Now on K3663.
Updated the iphone 11 to IOS14
re-paired the phone with the car
switched off wi-fi on the phone
switched of siri on the phone
did not sync favourites when pairing

It seems to have worked for the first few calls at least, calls can be answered or ignored via the MMI buttons and it is not freezing when the call comes in as before.
I will slowly re-introduce the last three and see if any of these has an impact on connectivity.
But right now it looks like updating the car and the IOS has worked.

Reactions: DJAlix
okay, left the car with DH Automotive today for a software update. Now on K3663.

It seems to have worked for the first few calls at least, calls can be answered or ignored via the MMI buttons and it is not freezing when the call comes in as before.
I will slowly re-introduce the last three and see if any of these has an impact on connectivity.
I completed your update remotely this morning :)

My Wife’s been turning WiFi off in her phone & it seems to be working too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To confirm, no issues with connection or charging the new iPhone 12 Pro

Reactions: rjwojcik
My Wife’s phone has been ok since the last iOS update on her 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: J10NMM