iPad

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
The new iPad is out and I don't find any thing special about it at the moment, it reminds me of when the 4Gs was launched.
Ok it has a massively high resolution for such a small screen and might look amazing but thats it.
I can't see any thing in the spec list that would make the other top tablet manufactures stand up and take notice really.

I'm still reading reviews and getting info about it but at the moment mehhhh.

What does the forum masses think?

iPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Sounds good, 4x faster ( although I'm
Not sure what they think we're using tablets for, because I just use mine for browsing the net and music), 3d screen? Not sure if I like the idea of that?? And 5mp camera, which the ipad 2 should of had. And 4g capability which will be impressive, as 3G is faster than out broadband where we live!

They've upped RAM from 512Mb to 1Gig which should stop the f****ng thing crashing every time it encounters an image heavy website!

In all honesty I think it's a great social media tool, but if you fancy doing much more than that with it I find my '2' temperamental, glitchy and a bit of a let down against it's price tag. If they've done nothing but fix some of these issues it's a step in the right direction.

As for benchmark speeds they're always claiming that each generation is 'x times faster', but because everything evolves you never really feel it. Just marketing bullsh0t like the word 'Sporty' in car brochures! I won't be rocking up for one anytime soon, ditto iPhone 4S.

Sadly I think their days of innovation are numbered - too many jumped on the bandwagon now and the fan base is falling by the weyside as other manufacturers become better at it....

I've always been against Apple because of their marketting prowess, yes they look amazing and their niche has been to make things easy to use... now they need to change tact otherwise they will be swallowed up i reckon, eventually.

Having said that, I was shown the icloud and how it functions the other day, have to say..the ability to not have to sync everything is quite appealing.... although for the costs associated, I think i'll waste ten minutes of my time once a month rather than increase their profit levels much more :)

Without taking away from the ost mate- 3 weeks ago haha - I'l stick a post up as soon as i've got it sorted ;)

Preordered my 32GB + 4G when announced..
Held off the iPad 2, so this is a long awaited upgrade for my antique iPad 1!

4G is a waste in this country, by the time it's rolled out in the UK, the ipad 3 will be long superceded!

I've pre-ordered the iPad 3 (wi-fi), shipping status- shipped!

I upgraded partly because I'm a gadgaddict and partly because the iPad 2 I had was a year old, sold it a couple of weeks ago for £330, so a cheap upgrade for me really, I get the latest model and a fresh 12 months warranty for £70.

I did the same with my iPhone 4 when the 4s came out.

I've never really been an apple fan (until recently) but I love the iPad, it gets more use than my PC or laptop.

I upgraded partly because I'm a gadgaddict and partly because the iPad 2 I had was a year old, sold it a couple of weeks ago for £330, so a cheap upgrade for me really, I get the latest model and a fresh 12 months warranty for £70.

This tempts me... Did you get £330 for a 16gb, wondering what I can get for me 32 gb wifi only iPad 2

Im thinking of upgrading. I have the original Ipad. :)

I bought my mrs the ipad 2 for xmas so its a no from me, they are a cracking machine, i just wish they would sort out the flash dissagreement out..***

If you're jailbroken, you want an app called Flash Video Exposer.

It's a browser much like safari but with native flash support, I had it on my iPad 2, works perfectly.

This tempts me... Did you get £330 for a 16gb, wondering what I can get for me 32 gb wifi only iPad 2

I did yes.

Have a look at auctions ending on flee-bay to see roughly what price you will get.

Im thinking of upgrading. I have the original Ipad. :)

Do it!

The difference in speed when opening web pages I noticed upgrading from the ipad 1 to 2 was impressive.

The difference from an ipad 1 to 3 should be even better.

I have already preordered the 32gb wi-fi iPad 3, I'm still on the original!

The screen is something you have to see in person to appreciate. Much brighter.

Overall seems snappier than the iPad 2, web pages open quicker and are so clear.

Camera is much much better.

As more iPad 3 optimised apps are released, things cAn only get better.

8 out of 10 from me.

The screen resolution is the only thing going for it in my eyes, although this should of happened on the Ipad 2. The 4x faster is only the graphics processor which is now powering a much higher res screen and bigger apps, so it only compensating. Doubling the RAM is a nice little touch but there should of been more. The camera is from the now old iphone 4 believe it or not so they are recycling old parts.

I have wanted an ipad for a while and was looking forward to this. My main gripe with the iPad is the OS, its an enlarged iphone operating system where as it should and could be much much more. The layout of apps in a grid is now more than 5 years old and is getting stale. More customisablity would help a lot but apple dont want to.

Dont get me wrong I like apple products quite a bit, I have an iMac which I love albeit slightly annoyed they are implementing iOS features onto MacOS.

I'm picking up a discounted iPad 2 later on today. I already have an iPhone. If I plug the iPad into my pc & open up iTunes to sync, will it automatically pick up all the apps and authorisations (for example, permission to access my home wi-fi) I already have on the iPhone, or will I need to set these up separately?

I'm picking up a discounted iPad 2 later on today. I already have an iPhone. If I plug the iPad into my pc & open up iTunes to sync, will it automatically pick up all the apps and authorisations (for example, permission to access my home wi-fi) I already have on the iPhone, or will I need to set these up separately?

You can SYNC the ipad with your iphone through icloud Jeff, but you need to register your ipad with your apple id/email address. Your wifi would need to be set up, as it's a separate device with different mac address. I've not had to plug my ipad2 into my itunes at all, it's all done wireless through icloud.

You can SYNC the ipad with your iphone through icloud Jeff, but you need to register your ipad with your apple id/email address. Your wifi would need to be set up, as it's a separate device with different mac address. I've not had to plug my ipad2 into my itunes at all, it's all done wireless through icloud.

Thanks, Jojo, I'll have to look into this cloud business a bit more.

OK, another question, if I may. I rang my airtime provider (3), to ask if it was possible to piggy-back my iPad onto the data plan that I have with my iPhone, rather than take out another monthly data plan. Am I right in thinking it's called "Tethering"?

Anyway, the person on the phone told me it was possible, and described the steps I needed to take, but despite trying to write them down I didn't have the iPad with me at the time), I got a bit lost.

Please can anyone write me out a step-by-step idiot's guide on how to tether my iPad to my iPhone?

Many thanks

OK, another question, if I may. I rang my airtime provider (3), to ask if it was possible to piggy-back my iPad onto the data plan that I have with my iPhone, rather than take out another monthly data plan. Am I right in thinking it's called "Tethering"?

Anyway, the person on the phone told me it was possible, and described the steps I needed to take, but despite trying to write them down I didn't have the iPad with me at the time), I got a bit lost.

Please can anyone write me out a step-by-step idiot's guide on how to tether my iPad to my iPhone?

Many thanks

Yep, its called tethering.

Your iphone needs to be on IOS 5 (the latest operating system).... then what you do is:

1) Turn on your iphone's wifi.
2) From Settings (on your iphone still) - go to Personal hotspot.
3) Turn it on and take note of the Wi-fi Password displayed. You can change this to something more memorable if you like.
4) Now turn on your ipad (or any other wifi enabled device) and search for available wifi networks.
5) When you see your iphone's name in the list (your iphone name can be found in Settings - About - Name) click on it and then enter that hotspot password.

Your phone should then display a blue banner stating that a connection has been made and your ipad should show a small 'link' icon which confirms that a connection has been successful. You will now be able to browse the internet from your ipad using your iphone's 3G/data.

Many thanks

Jeff, it's as simple as Ads posted above mate, but MAKE SURE your price plan covers it! My missus is on Three, and the personal hotspot icon doesn't appear on her iphone4, even though she is on ios5. In my case, I tried the tethering out last week, and Voda charged me 5 quid for testing it out, it recognises I'm tethering and charges me data, cos it's on a separate VPN to mobile data!

My missus is on Three, and the personal hotspot icon doesn't appear on her iphone4, even though she is on ios5.

Have you tried looking in 'Setting - General - Network - (scroll down) Personal Hotspot' and turning it on from there instead?
The Personal Hotspot icon should then appear underneath the Wi-fi icon in Settings from then on.

Have you tried looking in 'Setting - General - Network - (scroll down) Personal Hotspot' and turning it on from there instead?
The Personal Hotspot icon should then appear underneath the Wi-fi icon in Settings from then on.

Guys, you are absolutely brilliant; thank you!

I know for sure that my iPhone has the personal hotspot option, cos I've seen it in the setting menu & wondered what it was. Also, I remember the person on the phone at 3 mentioning it, before I lost all comprehension in what she was telling me. Plus, I'm on an all-you-can-eat data plan with my iPhone, which she said was ok for tethering.

I will give this a go later, and report back.

:beerchug:

Heehee! The person I spoke to on the phone must have realised I was struggling. I've just received an email from 3, headed "easy steps to use your iPhone as a modem".

And it works perfectly. So cool!

If I go on acquiring tech know-how at this rate, I'll have to change my name to Spencer Kelly!

And it works perfectly. So cool!

If I go on acquiring tech know-how at this rate, I'll have to change my name to Spencer Kelly!

Sh*t!!! Sorry, I didn't mean to 'dislike' your last post.
I'm not as good with tech as I thought I was!

The new Ipad is amazing but for those who don't own an Ipad 2. People how don't have any version of Ipad should buy it as it's great look and also work fast.

Ipad 2 is sweet... like said not much difference really