IOM TT Races.

Spares

Reaction score
Anyone watch the Superbike TT on ITV4 last night ? For those that didn't you missed an epic race, Michael Dunlop romped it breaking the lap record on lap one from a standing start, broke it again on lap two and hammered it home for BMW's first victory in 75 years.
Kiwi Bruce Anstey woke up massively on the last lap posting an outright new lap record speed of 132.298 mph, the first Man to exceed 132mph average around the mountain course. ITV4 are showing all the races this week at 9pm each evening, catch up on ITV player.
Was planning on going over this year on the R1 as I've not been for a while, but work commitments meant I couldn't, to make it worse I've a mate out there whose taken his Ariel Atom over, reckons he'll be seeing off the bikes over the mountain, but I don't think so !

Reactions: Ghost and Sandra
I used to be a 4 wheel Motorsport fan. I'm afraid that with all the bull*hit management interventions and fluff that's sprung up Motorsport is being ruined as over paid bureaucrats find ways to massage the system to benefit whoever is their best mate this week. Gow in the BTCC, Ecclestone in F1, both have a lot to answer for massaging their sports to suit a story.

The IoM TT is raw, it's pure. It's a man on a bike with a pair of enormous balls testing his nerve on an organic road/racetrack. It's the most engrossing form of Motorsport I've seen for years. These guys don't earn a fortune doing this, they do it for the passion of what they do. It's amazing. How it hasn't been outlawed by the Eurostate or the HSA is beyond me, but I'm incredibly pleased it hasn't as it provides one of the greatest weeks TV viewing on UK TV channels all year round. And if you have never seen it switch to ITV 4 this week and soak it up. If you fancy a bit more history watch film Closer to the Edge and be amazed by the onscreen footage of the standing starts down Bray Hill. Up to 175mph on cold tyres and full fuel load in less than ¼ of a mile.

Loved it last night, shame for McGuinness, but Anstey, Dunlop and Martin put in some astonishing performances. I've got to go and see it live next year.

Reactions: Spares, Ghost and Sandra
I watch this every year, i love it. My all time favourites were Joey Dunlop, Steve Hyslop, David Jefferies and of course Phil Mcallun. Three of the above no longer with us, but they were superb to watch. Yes its dangerous sport, but these guys have so much skill, and they doing what they want to do. Its all about passion for them, not making a name like the lewis hamiltons etc from f1. If these guys on there bikes have a bad day, it means a bad day. I enjoyed watching Michael Dunlop winning for bmw, its usually his brother that wins all the races. I felt sorry for Guy Martin, i would have love to have seen him win a race, but the week is young yet . If you every get the chance to go you should take it, i went a few years ago, and what a fantastic atmosphere and adrenaline rush that was.

Reactions: Spares, Ghost and warren_S5
If you fancy a bit more history watch film Closer to the Edge and be amazed by the onscreen footage of the standing starts down Bray Hill. Up to 175mph on cold tyres and full fuel load in less than ¼ of a mile.

Loved it last night, shame for McGuinness, but Anstey, Dunlop and Martin put in some astonishing performances. I've got to go and see it live next year.

“Closer To The Edge” is on tonight on ITV 4 at 10PM

One of the best motosport films i've ever seen

Reactions: markos72, Spares, Sandra and 1 other person
Just watched Bruce Ansteys record breaking lap, just awesome, and he said it was easy !! The hairs on my neck are still on end.
The sidecars were entertaining too, not really my bag but well done to Conrad Harrison, his first win in 21 years of racing the TT, not bad for a 50yr old eh.
Looking forward to tomorrow's supersport & superstock races, should be very quick if the weather holds, Guy Martin May just score his first win.
Closer to the edge has just started, great film with some stunning on bike stuff, recommend you watch it for a taster of the real TT festival.
Enjoy.

Reactions: Sandra
I watch this every year, i love it. My all time favourites were Joey Dunlop, Steve Hyslop, David Jefferies and of course Phil Mcallun. Three of the above no longer with us, but they were superb to watch. Yes its dangerous sport, but these guys have so much skill, and they doing what they want to do. Its all about passion for them, not making a name like the lewis hamiltons etc from f1. If these guys on there bikes have a bad day, it means a bad day. I enjoyed watching Michael Dunlop winning for bmw, its usually his brother that wins all the races. I felt sorry for Guy Martin, i would have love to have seen him win a race, but the week is young yet . If you every get the chance to go you should take it, i went a few years ago, and what a fantastic atmosphere and adrenaline rush that was.

I saw Joey race many times on the Island, he never really looked that quick as he was super smooth, a real hero amongst the fans. Hizzy was really quick, I remember in 92 when he raced the Norton to victory, just beating Foggy on the OWO1 Yamaha by 4 seconds, that was the maddest race ever, with Foggy setting a new lap record in the process. I was there too in 94 when Hizzy took both the superbike & senior races in what was his last appearance at the TT before concentrating his efforts on short circuits in BSB, I remember him smashing the outright lap record at Donington on a Ducati superbike, going quicker than the GP bikes which was astonishing. Imagine a touring car lapping quicker than an F1 car and you get the picture.

Reactions: warren_S5
That is very sad news. Karl was a very talented young man. R.I.P

I caught up yesterday with all the action from the last few days.

If you didn’t know, (and this is only what I read) Guy Martin was stopped when someone spotted his front wheel nut fly off, and info passed onto the marshals.

Good call. :icon_thumright:

If you're tuning in to watch the TT tonight on ITV4, it’s on at 10PM

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5
Interesting about Guy, thought he may have been dropping oil but couldn't find any stories on it.

I saw Joey race many times on the Island, he never really looked that quick as he was super smooth, a real hero amongst the fans. Hizzy was really quick, I remember in 92 when he raced the Norton to victory, just beating Foggy on the OWO1 Yamaha by 4 seconds, that was the maddest race ever, with Foggy setting a new lap record in the process. I was there too in 94 when Hizzy took both the superbike & senior races in what was his last appearance at the TT before concentrating his efforts on short circuits in BSB, I remember him smashing the outright lap record at Donington on a Ducati superbike, going quicker than the GP bikes which was astonishing. Imagine a touring car lapping quicker than an F1 car and you get the picture.

I was also there in '92 ! Had an amazing time, was there for most of practice week and all of race week. 'Mad Sunday' was mad... I went round the course hitting 165 mph at Creg-ny-baa on my GSXR1100. Don't know how these guys do it, hitting 200mph and LAPPING at 130+. You just cannot imagine what that must be like. Seeing the on-bike footage looks like it is sped up, but not, it is real time.

The TT is like nothing else. All sorts of people on all types of bikes. And not an ounce of trouble - even if you accidentally chat up someone else girlfriend! You try the equivalent with football fans and it would be carnage, fights, arrests etc

You have to go at least once, and take the time to look round the Island too.

Reactions: Sandra, Ghost and warren_S5