Internet providers.

the hardest part of using any vendors broadband product is trying to make sense of the crap hardware and software that they give you when you join.

When i joined BT, i went for the wires only option. This meant i could provided my on kit and dump the shoddy software. Installation for me was as simple as making sure my username and password were set in the router correctly. The wireless stuff was no more difficult either.

So true madvw,

All these providers who claim "ease of use".. e.g. BT yahoo. stick so much rubish software on the CD that it fills your machine with useless junk.
This friend who got the BT package had no end of troubles. In the end, it appeared that the software installer was conflicting with noton av, so he had to uninstall that first. How secure is that!

9 times out of 10, its simpler like you say just to insert your username and password into the adsl modem/router.

It is an BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem brandedby AOL/BT branded.

Cost: willing to pay upto £30 for a decent service.

Speed: 2MB minimum.

As you already have the equipment... all you really need is a good provider.
Another thing is not to be fooled by companies offering "free firewall" or "free AV protection".. Much of this is often free software anyway.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare..._action=Compare
If you view this comparison, NDO and nildram clearly stick out. For £25.99, nildram offer this http://broadband.nildram.net/view_products.php?group=broadband2
2Mbps
50GB fair use quota (during peak hours), use as much as you like off peak

Nildram look quite interesting, i like the idea of the cisco centralized firewall.

Avoid the centralized firewall if you use any p2p software. As they block the ports p2p software use.

If you cannot get Telewest then i would probably just go with BT think they do 2 Meg now for £24 a month and have just up'ed the download cap from 15 gig to 25 or 30 gig. Also forget Norton who said they were the best ....Norton is crap and lets lots of trojans in and never deletes or worse detects them. I personally use Avast which can be found at www.avast.com and is free for home use... they are very good just register which takes 2 mins and they will send you your free registration key. I've never had a problem with them and as for Norton forget it!

i got standard microsoft antispyware along with AVG (free), works fine

[ QUOTE ]
Microsoft Antispyware is a must anyone who hasnt got it should download it from www.microsoft.com ...i definately rate it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, got this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've got Supanet 2meg (although it always connects at 2.3!). Got to say, I've had no problems at all, and for £17.99 per month, I'm well happy

Demon are another one who will provide 2 meg for around the 20 quid a month price but the good thing about Demon is that they give you a static IP for free if your interested in setting up your own web or email server. Only if your into that sort of thing though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Just been reading up on Digital Spy and Telewest are already able to offer more than 10 meg..basically they are waiting to see what the market dictates and they mentioned that by 2007 50 MEG should be available!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Ian, haven't got a clue what Dbox 2 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm guessing he means digibox 2. i.e. not that original overheating, locking, f-ing annoying, genuine spawn of satan piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif PACE digibox. (that apparently didnt ever have any known problems with - excellent customer service there.)

the new silver ones lovely though....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry not at all....

try searching google for "ntl dbox2" and you'll get it.

and even "nokia dbox2 ntl"

great piece of kit.

Just got a letter through the post this morning from Telewest Blueyonder. My current 512k will be upgraded to 2mb download and 256k upstream free of charge in the next few months - woohoo - and still @£17.99 pm, so I'm happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice one jojo i'm still waiting for my 10 meg and 384K upload ...cant wait! Enjoy your new free speed surfing is so much nicer when you have a fast connection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

UKonline will be launching their 24mb service for 29.99 a month