intermittent warning lights - ESP and Glow plugs

SamLP

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2003 A4 avant quattro sport with the 2.5tdi 180hp engine.

The ESP light has recently been coming on after driving for a few minutes and pressing the ESP switch in and out doesn't affect it. Stopping the engine and restarting solves it for a couple of minutes

The glow plug light has now started flashing (engine management fault?) with the same symptoms.

I took it to a garage this week to have these problems looked at and the airbags checked (also illuminated) and the fault codes read. They said that the airbag light may have come on because of a connector under the seat, but couldn't find/didn't mention a problem that relates to the ESP and engine management warning lamps.

The airbag light stays out now at least.

The car seems to rev and run fine with no loss of power, abnormal engine temperature, exhaust smoke or an effect on the fuel consumption 35-37mpg.

If you could please shed some light on this I'd be really grateful

Sam

check your rear brake lights, I had the coil light and esp come on once when both back break bulbs were out.

Reactions: SamLP
The brake switch is sometimes dual circuit. If one fails it flashes the glow plug light on some vag cars. Found this out when we had a touran.

Reactions: SamLP
Donsajid and S2Avant, thank you very much for pointing me towards the brakes, it was the brake light switch that caused all the problems. No water had got to it. it had just become sticky. A bit of vaseline sorted until the (now stronger) replacement switch arrived. It is a lot less stressful to be driving without all the warning lights flashing. Thanks very much. Sam