Intermittent rubbing, grinding noise OSF wheel

pjeffe9172

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I’ve posted this into this forum rather than the RS4 as I’m sure it isn’t model specific.

It’s more so when it is wet or damp conditions there appears to be a rubbing or grinding noise coming from the drivers side front wheel. It happens when the car Is going straight not just when it is turning.

Just coming away from the gym I put the window down and it sounds like the tyres are ‘squelching’. It’s hard to say if the sound disappears because the engine and exhaust note overtake once you speed up.

The car is only 4 months old and has 4K miles on it. This is my first Quattro car so wondered whether it is something do with that. If anybody else has this or is normal that’s fine. If it’s a dealer visit then so be it.

Thanks everyone.

It has a warranty, and pardon me for stating the obvious, you should take it in. If you can though how about jacking that side up and spinning the wheel to see if it's replicated, I also assume you've checked for any foreign objects in the pads, suspension near the tyre?

You are pardoned . I’m happy to take it in, but just thought I’d check first in case people said “no I get that it’s the Quattro system etc”. I’ve had it up in the air and spun the wheel but all I can hear is the normal pad on disc slight rubbing.

Reactions: cuke2u
It’s it more like brake squeal? If so I’ve had this happen twice thinking the warning light failed for worn disks. Like metal to metal. Both times it went away but it was very loud.

Yes WesT-gefül that’s it, but intermittent. Originally I thought it was the surface rust on the discs rubbing off as it only seemed to happen when it was wet conditions

Reactions: WesT-gefül
So I can’t fault Audi for their service. Drive the car in to the dealer this morning (not booked in) and they said they would have a tech look at it straight away.

Low and behold two minutes later a tech comes out and we take it for a test drive. To no surprise the sound wasn’t there this morning (it’s sunny and dry today).

He said from what I was explaining it could be a stone or debris stuck in the pads. We drove back, he took it straight in and took the wheel off for an inspection.

He came out and said there is nothing wrong, the fact it is in wet conditions he said the bigger brakes on the RS cars will have more friction so may run in the wet but there is nothing wrong. He did say next time it’s wet if I get the sound to bring it back and they can check but he was certain that’s what it was.

Peace of mind if nothing else.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
If its the RS don't they pulse the breaks slightly to clear the discs? I may be massively wrong but I think I read something about it?

If its the RS don't they pulse the breaks slightly to clear the discs? I may be massively wrong but I think I read something about it?

I think all Audis do that, at least when it's raining, to clear the water off them. You can feel it if you happen to brake when it's doing that, as the brakes bite a bit sooner.