Intermittent problem that has gotten Audi flummoxed

Ralf

Reaction score
Audi A4 B8 130,000 miles
No fault codes
Has an after market DPF fitted
White smoke and diesel fumes for approx 40 miles then stops - nothing!
Never any loss of power.
Thirsty on diesel when smoking.
Can go through many tanks of diesel before it happens again.
Switch off leave overnight and it will continue the problem until it's 40 miles is up.
The car has been at Audi for over 3 weeks now, they replaced the ERG valve and ensured that I was spending 900 pounds wisely. Did not fix the fault.

Any one got any ideas?

The dealer also just robbed you of £900 and done nothing but replace an egr valve. Dont trust dealers! They want your money and as much of it they can get their mucky hands on

Reactions: Ralf
Getting rid of that Dpf would be your best place to start but dont get a dealer to do it. As Bobby said even a decent second hand unit will do.

If you dont have the cash now the dealer has it all, get the aftermarket one gutted and buy yourself time to hunt a decent replacement. You will also confirm if it is the Dpf causing you issues.

Dealer doesn't think that's the problem.
Don't really care what they think to be honest
Some of them are too stupid.
I've had this problem before with after market dpf's
Soot burns at 600 deg and if this temp is not met the ECU will continue to pour in fuel - hence your poor mpg.
You will ruin your engine if you are not careful (bore wash)

Don't really care what they think to be honest
Some of them are too stupid.
I've had this problem before with after market dpf's
Soot burns at 600 deg and if this temp is not met the ECU will continue to pour in fuel - hence your poor mpg.
You will ruin your engine if you are not careful (bore wash)
Thanks for all your advice.
Just knowing where to take it where they know what they are doing at a reasonable price.
I will see if I can source a genuine second hand part