Intermittent Multiple Bulb Errors

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hello,

Back in October I was getting a bonnet open error on and off of which I took it to Storm to look at whilst I was getting some other work done there.

They told me that my Revo CAI (installed by VAS Motion along with the stage 1 remap back in March) had been catching on the wiring which was causing the fault and so they sorted that out.

A couple weeks after I started getting the driver sidelight out, then the passenger sidelight after, sometimes both at the same time or alternate and now the right parking light, left parking light also fail alternately at the same time as the front sidelights do.

I've had a brief look round and couldn't see anything with the intake causing trouble, even prior to Storms work I never saw anything catching, but then I have no idea to be honest.. All of the bulbs work but they just take turns in failing and pi$$ing me off, nearly every time I turn the key in the ignition it changes which ones are working and which aren't.

I've called Storm for them to have a look but they couldn't fit me in and are closing for xmas tonight till the 3rd. I'm booked in for the 5th but I really don't want to have to wait over two weeks for this annoying issue to be fixed, has anyone got any ideas on what I could do/check/look at please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I fitted my rear pressed plate fine on Sunday, came out Monday morning and the front pressed plate was hanging off so screwed in my old one and got 12 heavy duty double sided velcro pads on lunch. Got home from work by which point it was pitch black, refitted my front pressed plate and whilst I was out there, thought I'd take another looks at the lights.

Turn the key in the ignition twice, bulb errors on dash for both front side lights. Turn side lights on and the rear work fine but interestingly the front side lights turn on for about 3 seconds before one going out before the other. The error for these is always on the dash but both front side light bulbs do work for a of couple seconds before going out, it doesn't matter how often I switch the side lights off and then on again, it always does this, so how can a bulb work and then not when stationary?

I mistakenly thought the second error on the dash I was previously getting was for the the rear side lights when in fact it was for the number plate lights which was a separate problem after fitting white LED ones, I replaced with stock lights and that errors now gone away.

The DRL's, headlights, brake lights, reverse lights, all indicators, rear sidelights, number plate lights all work fine and so does the bonnet catch cable as well as all other electrics, it's just the front side light playing up.

Last edited:
Are you on standard bulbs...?
I know I get the same but, I have LED side's and DRL's, mostly a quick nip of the connections sorts it out.
It never lasts long and in some cases, just putting the lights on clears the dash error.

Reactions: Marek196c
The side lights, DRL's and fog lights are all either LED or Halogen of which were fitted in April. Hmm interesting, it just seems weird it took over 8 months for the side lights to start playing up and suspicious that it's only occurred since the bonnet fault I had. I've got some new one's from t8ups coming as they were only £8, so will make sure to play around with the connections whilst I'm there ta.

I usually find it's the connections to the resistors that play up.
One of my DRL holders is also a bit loose and I think that shows a side light error.

Reactions: HHS3
Fitted the new LED side lights from t8ups and gave the connections a good clean of which it seems to have done the trick! It just seems odd that the old ones started playing up after the bonnet cable problem..

Anyhow all fixed (for now!), thanks for your help Jake.

Also fitted the LED number plate lights from t8ups which work a treat as he supplies just the bulb part which fits into the the stock housing perfectly, meaning the whole unit doesn't fall out or lose connection like the cr@p one's off of ebay do.

Reactions: Jake 61
Having almost the same problem with my sidelights (one side always shows bulb out when starting the car but works fine once I move the light switch), so looking at getting some better bulbs... Do you have led DRLs as well or just the sidelight bulbs? Any resistors needed with the t8ups bulbs?

I have LED sides and DRL's. It's not every day that the sides show a bulb out error, maybe once a month.
The DRL's never give any bother since I changed them a while back.
t8ups kit's will come good to go and ready to plug and play.

Reactions: HHS3
I have LED sides and DRL's. It's not every day that the sides show a bulb out error, maybe once a month.
The DRL's never give any bother since I changed them a while back.
t8ups kit's will come good to go and ready to plug and play.
Thanks, t8ups bulbs are on my shopping list then, hopefully this will fix the issue and I can finally get rid of the resistors that have been bothering me for two years now :p

Reactions: Jake 61
I can't recommend t8ups enough, he and his bulbs are the best out there. As Jake has stated they come ready to go, plug & play with no problems (or resistors in my case). Only my side lights and number plate lights are LED and the rest are all Halogen, t8ups said that he could supply LED's for others but couldn't promise that they would work with my pre-facelift 07 S3.

I'm not bothered about LED's as such, just bulbs that work without any errors of which everything he's supplied me has done just that. Received a complete set of Halogen bulbs from him today for both of my new MY11 rear lights and they all work a charm.

Never again will I be going anywhere else for car bulbs, t8ups is the same price but his products actually work and he can send them for next day delivery in the UK if you pay for it.

Reactions: Audiabc7 and Jake 61