Intermittent Electrics Problem

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hello,

For about a month now, once sometimes twice a week when I unlock my car (using the fob) the following happens:
  • Interior lights shut off for a few seconds (when they should be on)
  • Clock resets to 00:00
  • DIS reverts back to miles left in the tank rather than the digital speedo I have it set to
  • Windows reset, so I have to press and hold all the way down and then back up again for the auto down & up feature to work
  • ESP fault (yellow steering wheel and traction control icon) show up but then clear after 10 seconds of driving
Everything is then absolutely fine with no unusual sounds, smells or driving issues whatsoever and carries on as if nothing happened.

I forgot to mention it to R-Tech when it was in with them (due to the amount of work I was having done) however their comprehensive pre-map health check didn't throw up anything.

I've had a google and people with similar issues suggest that it may be the battery (I had a Varta fitted in 2016 so don't think it's this) or more likely the fuses.

Can anyone help me please?

Audi S3 8P (BHZ/2007/69K)

Thanks.

Thanks mate, do you know where the ground point(s) is please? I want to attempt to try and fix this one myself as it seems like a potential easy fix, rather than just drop it off at the garage which is what I normally do.

Thanks mate, do you know where the ground point(s) is please? I want to attempt to try and fix this one myself as it seems like a potential easy fix, rather than just drop it off at the garage which is what I normally do.
Drop @Ash187 a pm and he might have a better idea where to find the ground wires around where your problem is or if you can get a hold off a wire diagram it should show you the ground wires .

There are multiple ground points around the car of which I doubt anyone knows where they all are. The first to start with is the one on the battery and you will actually see where this connects to the car, the engine also has a ground point somewhere etc etc etc.
Your problem could be one of a few things but the things you explain would normally happen if you disconnected the battery. It could be a dodgy ground connection, it could also be a dodgy battery, some particular part may have also just developed a fault or you could have some loose/broken wires somewhere

I would start with the battery as the issues you are referring to are too spread out to be multiple ground locations.

What work was being done to it when the issues first started?

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated.

It first started happening around 3 weeks after having the following fitted:
  • Spec 2+ Clutch & Steel SMF
  • 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushings Kit (two different types)
  • Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Bush Insert
  • Mintex M1144 Brake Pads
I had a Varta Silver Car Battery E44 77Ah (577400078) fitted in July 2016.

So basically I need to check the battery, terminals, fuses and ground points.