Intermittent door unlocking issue

Lord lucan

Reaction score
Hi,

Noticed recently the front passenger door on my A6 avant sometimes chooses not to unlock with the fob and wondered if anyone had had similar issues too?

I’ve stood beside it and I can’t hear the motor “whirring” on the problematic door however all other functioning doors can be heard “whirring”. The issue is intermittent as the door sometimes does unlock with the fob.

The internal pull handles always works which makes me think it’s an electronic issue of some description?

Any ideas, hints or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anything else is working apart from locking/unlocking?

When you notice fob not unlocking them, try to unlock them from the drivers doors. If still no joy, that would indicate electrical failure on the wires 100%.
Then I would turn my attention to the wires in the rubber between the door hinges.
Pull the rubber out and see if any wires are cracked, spliced or broken.
It is more likely to have a problem there than behind the door card, like a connector popped out or came loose.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

So everything else works as it should apart from the front passenger door.

I’ve tried it now with the key in the drivers door and that only opens the drivers door. When using the fob it only all doors and the boot, apart from the front passenger door.

When it does that from the fob, try unlock all the doors from inside of the car. Buttons next to the internal door handle to lock and unlock all the doors/boot.

If this is still not working, the electric glitch is confirmed and you need to search for faulty connection between ecu and door module on the wires or connectors

When it does that from the fob, try unlock all the doors from inside of the car. Buttons next to the internal door handle to lock and unlock all the doors/boot.

If this is still not working, the electric glitch is confirmed and you need to search for faulty connection between ecu and door module on the wires or connectors

Thanks. Yes I tried that too and it sometimes unlocks all door and sometimes it doesn’t so I guess as you say that confirms it’s an electrical fault

If you have an access to vcds to scan the car, it may also confirm the same or tell otherwise.
It may be the case of broken wire in the door hinge rubber or on the door module.

Door card off job

If you have an access to vcds to scan the car, it may also confirm the same or tell otherwise.
It may be the case of broken wire in the door hinge rubber or on the door module.

Door card off job

I’m afraid I don’t have access to vcds and I’m reluctant to buy as I’m not sure if I’m keeping the car. I have a cheapo orange obd2 code reader but I suspect it may not be compatible with the car.

I’m confident I’ll be able to take the door car off as I used to fit aftermarket speaker systems to my previous cars up until about 8 years ago. I may struggle to find any faulty connections however as I don’t have a multimeter.

Pulling the door card off may show you the module and its connectors. Check them and continue with broken wires search.
No need for multimeter

Thanks. When you say broken wire search do you mean that there could be a visibly severed wire(s)?

Yes. Broken or cut wire.
If any found, solder together and put in heat shrink tubing

Yes my driver door is doing this. Likely to be the actuator or similar. Did you get it fixed. Interested to know and how much you spent. Thanks.

Yes my driver door is doing this. Likely to be the actuator or similar. Did you get it fixed. Interested to know and how much you spent. Thanks.

I’ve not had any time to look at it since starting this thread I’m afraid. However I noticed today that the rear passenger doors open with the fob now and neither of the front doors do. Would that suggest two sets of actuators at fault or something such as a weak battery do you think? Drivers door unlocks with key but passenger only opens from inside.

I’ve not had any time to look at it since starting this thread I’m afraid. However I noticed today that the rear passenger doors open with the fob now and neither of the front doors do. Would that suggest two sets of actuators at fault or something such as a weak battery do you think? Drivers door unlocks with key but passenger only opens from inside.
Bummer. Could be water or moisture in the system? Sounds like you should probably get it checked out if multiple doors are freaking out. Good luck.

Reactions: Lord lucan