intermittent alarm issue?

AndyC555

Reaction score
Hello,

What would cause the car alarm to go off intermittently for no reason? At first I thought it may have been a genuine trigger by suspicious activity so I thought nothing of it. But then it kept happening more often. So I decided to spend a day just sitting out on the drive (it was a nice day LOL ) and nobody is near it and the alarm triggers.

Battery/voltage issue? No problem starting or any lights on the dash.

Could be a bad sensor or a faulty microswitch on one of the doors a diagnostic scan of the car will show why the alarm is being triggered.

I did a diagnostic scan with my Carista and all it showed was a fault with the adaptive cruise control. This problem I knew about because the camera/radar picks up cars in another lane and brakes even though my lane is completely clear. The system needs to be calibrated. This would hardly trigger the alarm though.

No idea then, as the reporting sensor that triggers the alarm should then create a fault code. Could be Carista not reading fault codes correctly I've seen that with VCDS before.

Must be a thing going around at the moment as I am currently having this trouble with mine. It's booked to see the local dealer (under warranty) next week - assuming they're still open in the UK. I'll update my post if they tell me the details of what's causing it.

UK dealers have to close, unless they are allowed to keep the service section open.

UK dealers have to close, unless they are allowed to keep the service section open.

I'm not holding my breath to be honest. I was surprised not to get a phone call today saying it needs to be rebooked. I will wait and see what happens.

Service departments can remain open, only showrooms have to close

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine had the same, was in for a day and they diagnosed a shorted wire in one of the boot systems, and required a new module, thankfully replaced under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an intermittent alarm going off when car ( Avant ) was parked in the drive - especially when it was raining. Dealer adviced it was damp in the lock mechanism when they looked at it - which I thought was strange and a excuse to get shot of the warrantee claim - but after 2 years it has stopped. No idea where the sensor for the tailgate opening is but maybe ......

My car has just come back from the dealer and they're applied a software update that was outstanding, so far this appears to have fixed the issue. I also had a defective battery, so that could have had a role to play. Either way, hopefully I won't have anymore 2am wakings!