Interior rattles at around 4000 rpm?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever the engine reaches around 4000 rpm, there is a strong rattling sound coming from what seems to be the dashboard of the car.

I'm guessing something must be resonating at specific frequency when the engine is running that fast but seems to disappear after 100-200 rpms later.

Anyone else have this issue? Could it be the artificial engine sound causing a speaker to rattle or is it something else?

I've noticed that whenever the engine reaches around 4000 rpm, there is a strong rattling sound coming from what seems to be the dashboard of the car.

I'm guessing something must be resonating at specific frequency when the engine is running that fast but seems to disappear after 100-200 rpms later.

Anyone else have this issue? Could it be the artificial engine sound causing a speaker to rattle or is it something else?
Heard of the clocks binnacle rattling before, can you be more specific.

Could be that but I can't find a way to make sure of it.
Hold your finger on the bottom of it when it starts, if the rattle stops BINGO. I think the fix is a small piece of sponge applied to the rear of it but the dealer should do it if it's still under warranty.

Reactions: Snibo
I had a rattle on my S3 and I got the dealer to have a look while it was in for some other warranty work. The lower dash on the driver's side was removed and refitted......problem solved.

Not exactly sure what had caused the issue in the first place and whether it will return, but I'm happy for now.

The car is full of rattles and squeaks and I have no idea where they are coming from.

The car is full of rattles and squeaks and I have no idea where they are coming from.
Can honestly say the only squeak/creak I had was the panoramic roof but cured with silicon spray. How old is the car ?? Get it back to the dealer for warranty work if you can, most dealers will fix it.

Can honestly say the only squeak/creak I had was the panoramic roof but cured with silicon spray. How old is the car ?? Get it back to the dealer for warranty work if you can, most dealers will fix it.

The car is about 6 months old.

I will visit my dealer to have the squeaks and rattles fixed.

The car is about 6 months old.

I will visit my dealer to have the squeaks and rattles fixed.
Make sure you say "Let me know when all the work is completed or I will be seeking further advice" (that's if they **** you about mind), also insist to take a fitter out in the car to prove the squeaks/rattle exists. Good luck fella.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Not at it again are you,jesus...give it a rest dimitri ***!!!!

Reactions: Simon L
Not at it again are you,jesus...give it a rest dimitri ***!!!!

I got problems i need solved what's yours? If you don't want to help and just want to post negative things just **** off!

It's not my problem the car is full of minor annoyances.

I got problems i need solved what's yours? If you don't want to help and just want to post negative things just **** off!

It's not my problem the car is full of minor annoyances.

Minor minor...... Eh. Exactly minor that's the point your the member that posts "negative" point's about your car that really are not worth posting about Capeesh
Post a thread that's constructive for a change and stop bitching
Mind you've got a bit of scope for sequels and prequels to this thread..... Lol
Av got loads of slight/minor annoyances but they're not worth a mention no doubt every member has with there cars,and if we where to post threads like yours this forum would be flooded,so chill dimitri

Last edited:
My B-pillars rattle over bumps, does my head in.

Is so far the only thing I don't like about the car. That and the squeaky brakes when reversing first thing in the morning.

Not sure what everyone was expecting from an Audi ?!

Should have bought a Ford....Vauxhall....Suzuki....Daewoo.....Peugeot.....Add Brand Here.

:gun2:

i had a similar rattle, took it to audi today and they said it was the foam at the bottom of the dash, just pushed it back together and the rattle has gone for now

Minor minor...... Eh. Exactly minor that's the point your the member that posts "negative" point's about your car that really are not worth posting about Capeesh
Post a thread that's constructive for a change and stop bitching
Mind you've got a bit of scope for sequels and prequels to this thread..... Lol
Av got loads of slight/minor annoyances but they're not worth a mention no doubt every member has with there cars,and if we where to post threads like yours this forum would be flooded,so chill dimitri
To be fair mate, there are other people far more negative in this forum. You know full well who they are, as they trash every thread with their over opinionated views. I think if he's got a grievance he's OK to air it and try and sort it out.

Reactions: Snibo and Jassyo06
My doubts were proven to be correct and I have rectified the problem.

I had a feeling it had to do with the fake engine noise generated with the dashboard speaker and I was right!

My local tuner used VCDS to disable the feature and now the interior rattles no more and the engine sounds better without all that high rpm harshness.

Reactions: 4K and Snibo
My doubts were proven to be correct and I have rectified the problem.

I had a feeling it had to do with the fake engine noise generated with the dashboard speaker and I was right!

My local tuner used VCDS to disable the feature and now the interior rattles no more and the engine sounds better without all that high rpm harshness.
Glad you got sorted fella. :yes: