Interior Light Puzzler

Owyn

Reaction score
Good morning all.
I'm having a puzzle with my interior lights, I've just installed LED bulbs to all the interior lights-my car doesn't have the lighting pack so is bog standard. The bulbs look excellent, a big improvement.

The issue I have is that the lights in the roof don't come on when the doors are opened, no door triggers the lights but all the lights come on no problem when they are switched on at the button.

The car seems to know that the doors are open, footwell lights come on, puddle lights come on, the dash warning comes on etc. but its just not turning the dome and reading lights on. No amount of pressing the button to disable/enable the door switch does anything.

There are also no error codes on the control modules.

Has anyone got any clues for me?

Thanks

As a test, I'd put back the original bulbs just to make sure the car hasn't gone into a power saving mode (doors open for a long time, lack of car use etc), however you countered part of that theory as the footwell lights come on. Maybe the LEDs don't create the correct level of resistance which in affect prevents the circuit from operating correctly. Perhaps swap one of the map lights as a test.

Thanks for the reply, I've tried switching the bulbs back this morning, unfortunately no dice.
I think the next port of call is to bridge the switch to see if that's not working, there's nothing to say it wasn't doing this before the LEDs and I'd just not noticed.

Is it front roof dome or rear passenger roof? If rear, the wiring routes back to the front dome. Could be a loose plug there in the front dome.

It's all of the lights in the roof, they all work with the switches but don't come on with the doors opening.
I've had it on and off a few times now so have checked all the wires.
I've been convincing myself it's the switch but the roof console itself is really tough to get apart so have struggled to test it.

It turns out second hand roof consoles are quite cheap so I've ordered one to see if that makes the difference.

Turns out it was my meddling that caused the problems. After convincing myself it was a broken switch I bought a second hand roof console which behaved in exactly the same way so ruling out the switch.
The only other thing I'd done was switch on background lighting with my obdeleven device, this involved ticking 2 boxes, unticking the box labeled "enable ambient lighting" or similar made my interior lights work again while keeping the other box ticked kept the background lighting on.
Serves me right for messing about too much, now does anyone need a spare roof console?

Reactions: Bulldog