Interior LED Upgrade

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was reading this Post http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...interior-led-package-installed-pic-heavy.html By View Profile: itwasntme187 - Audi-Sport.net and got chatting to the the guy that supplied the LEDs (View Profile: t8ups - Audi-Sport.net) about what some ideas I had, LEDs to fit the Sun visors and if he could help me out with my 3rd break light issue.

After some PMs back and forth he he told me how I can solve my LED 3rd break light issue and supplied me with some LEDs for my interior.

If you're after any PM him, he's a top bloke and very helpful.
Enough of praising him, here is what I done.

I asked for 4 foot well lights (501 panel LEDs), 2 map reading lights for the rear (501 panel LEDs), 2 map reading lights for the front light unit, 1 ultra bright festoon bulb for the boot, 2 number plate LEDs, 4 custom LEDs for the sun visors and something for the front light.
Quick back ground, my main front light unit is not a standard B5 unit. Its a retrofit from Kufatec (KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - W8 Interior light - Retrofit - 34052).

On to the pics.
I never took many before and after pics cause I assume you can all look at your B5 and see whats different.

First the main light unit at the front.

Before
IMAG0622.jpg

I removed the glass to cause of the LED panels that being fitted for the centre light and it worked better for images.

First was the map reading lights
IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0626.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

Then the middle two lights. This light board could be split in two to put one each side. I left it for now to see what I think of it. I might change it later.
IMAG0629.jpg

All together
IMAG0631.jpg

Next foot well lights.
I used the 501 panel units, I could have used the same units that was used in the above link if I wanted brighter units but I was happy with the normal 501 panels.
3aca76b7.jpg

Rear map reading lights. Nothing that special, just 501 panel leds fitted where the bulbs go.
IMAG0620.jpg

Now the boot.
IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

the number plate lights
aacddd32.jpg

The bit that I was really looking forward to.
You all know the sun visor lights, that nasty orange looking light that make its look dirty?
I've looked for the small festoon bulbs but in a LED version and was unable to find them untill I spoke to Trups who sent me something a bit different.

Here is a before with the bulbs in.
67d762d0.jpg

This is the idea that Trups came up with, which works really really well. I showed the misses about 20mins ago when it was getting dark. i did not realise how bright they are. I think she can still see the dots.
b6bcc6a7.jpg

40afebd9.jpg

Comparison
86e443a8.jpg

Night time pics of it all.
The boot
975ed53a.jpg

Front seats
7eb2015c.jpg

5388f91a.jpg

The main is really bright now. May be a bit to bright if you're not ready for it but at least I can see what I'm doing.
aa62beea.jpg

The main reason why I went for the W8 light unit. I finally wired it in. I did not know that the buttons light up as well. lol
a20f229a.jpg

I think thats it. I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Was looking at doing this to mine looks good mate that might be next on my list of things to do :)

Good one Scott looks loads better, keep meaning to do mine.
see Yr still rocking that picnic blanket ;)

Thanks all.
Its alot cleaner light and makes the cab look alot cleaner and fresher. well worth doing I think.

Damo, you slacker.
Get on and do it. :)

The picnic blanket will be going soon, Don't worry. :)

Looks good, like this kinda thing, modernise the interior look.

What sort of price was the kit you installed? Is this a standard kit he sells for B5's or is there other lights that can be added?

Looks good, like this kinda thing, modernise the interior look.

What sort of price was the kit you installed? Is this a standard kit he sells for B5's or is there other lights that can be added?

Its not a kit as such. I just told him what I wanted and he made it up for me.
Give T8ups a PM on what you want.
He can make almost any thing you want and even offer some other solutions if you have any thing thats a bit tricky or that you can't normally get.
Price was about £40 I think.

Its not a kit as such. I just told him what I wanted and he made it up for me.
Give T8ups a PM on what you want.
He can make almost any thing you want and even offer some other solutions if you have any thing thats a bit tricky or that you can't normally get.
Price was about £40 I think.

Cool, cheers Scott!:icon_thumright:

That looks well cool scott. A job well done.

Great write up scott,

as scotts car had a differant lights it uses differant bulbs to b5's, i anyone wants a quote then just let me know what lamps you have and i can sort the price out,

the sunvisors are £10 for the 4 bulbs with the wires, i have worked out a way to have the bulbs with a clip so soldering will no be required for those who dont have access to the iron.

the rest of the bulbs will be plug and play.

if someone can give me an idea of what bulbs are required on these then i can work out a price and do a package for you guys.

any questions then let me know and il help the best i can.

Trups

if you do work out a complete car kit price then add me to the list pls..
facelift s4, sunvisor lights in headliner.

if you do work out a complete car kit price then add me to the list pls..
facelift s4, sunvisor lights in headliner.

i need help with what bulbs are required and then i can work out what bulb will be best for what light and then i can work out the package price for you.

What car is your light unit for?

I'm off to a scrap yard soon and would like to do something very similar as to what you have done.

The whole LED package looks great. I've got 4 of my interior lights converted but those LEDs look much brighter.

Dan

its from a passat W8, dont think you will find one at the scrappy as not many w8's where produced.

have a look on ebay, they are always on there.

if someone can give me an idea of what bulbs are required on these then i can work out a price and do a package for you guys.

any questions then let me know and il help the best i can.

Trups

Hmm........ i smell a deal here, im looking to do my B5 saloon and provide all the info you require, for a saving of course! lol:moa:

I'll have a look around the car over the wkend and pm you with a list of bulbs for it if thats ok?

Quick update guys,

i had a look at a B5 while a customer was fitting his purchase at edition38 i was able to see what was needed, only downside is the front bulb, dues to the way the map reading lights are wired i can supply a modified wire so they do work but you would have to do a small bit of cutting inside the unit to fit the bulb.

if anyone wants to try it out then give me a shout and we can have a look into it and getting some pictures from it up etc for the light that comes in the car.

Quick update guys,

i had a look at a B5 while a customer was fitting his purchase at edition38 i was able to see what was needed, only downside is the front bulb, dues to the way the map reading lights are wired i can supply a modified wire so they do work but you would have to do a small bit of cutting inside the unit to fit the bulb.

if anyone wants to try it out then give me a shout and we can have a look into it and getting some pictures from it up etc for the light that comes in the car.

T8ups,
Was that a facelift or pre-facelift?
The lights are different in the head lining.

If its pre-facelift, you're more than welcome to use my old roof light.

I need a pre-facelift unit... but in black (for the S4).

Any ideas... or am I stuck with having to keep the old unit and just put the LED's in there?

T8ups,
Was that a facelift or pre-facelift?
The lights are different in the head lining.

If its pre-facelift, you're more than welcome to use my old roof light.

Scott, it looks like yours, same front lights, it had xenon in the doom, not sure if it was N or R reg, the map lights where the BA9s push and twist type, if its that i can borrow it to install and then i can send it back to you if thats ok?

Any ideas... or am I stuck with having to keep the old unit and just put the LED's in there?

Try LED's 1st, they will transform the look of the car totally, it will look clean and upto date so you wont really have to try and get a newer unit.

T8ups....have you worked out a kit price for full internal LED upgrade kit? Foots wells, boot, interior lights etc. inc visor. (Mine is pre-facelift Avant) I'm sure i'm not the only one who would buy a full kit off here. :)

T8ups....have you worked out a kit price for full internal LED upgrade kit? Foots wells, boot, interior lights etc. inc visor. (Mine is pre-facelift Avant) I'm sure i'm not the only one who would buy a full kit off here. :)

I too would be interested.

Scott, it looks like yours, same front lights, it had xenon in the doom, not sure if it was N or R reg, the map lights where the BA9s push and twist type, if its that i can borrow it to install and then i can send it back to you if thats ok?

Not a problem mate.
PM me your address and i'll send it up to you.
I don't need it, so you're more than welcome to keep it and get the best fit/set up you can for us pre-facelift boys. :)
This is my unit.
IMAG0659.jpg

Geeman, check out my image above. If its what you're after, you can have that once T8ups is finished with it or check the link in the first post about the W8 conversion.

Dan, Thats the kit i've had. :)
Do it. :)

Reactions: Geeman
Yeah... that's what mine looks like. :thumbsup:

The W8 unit looks to be cream though... so would look pants with my dark headlining.

If there's a 'full car' kit available, then I'd be interested in a price.

Yeah... that's what mine looks like. :thumbsup:

The W8 unit looks to be cream though... so would look pants with my dark headlining.

If there's a 'full car' kit available, then I'd be interested in a price.

It does a bit odd.
I was going to spry it grey but the buttons light up, so I need to find someone who thinks that can paint it but not damage the bits where the lights come through.

thanks for the interest, i can start working on the kit by the end of the week,

just to let you know what will be included is:
sunvisor lights,
front roof lights, this is 3 bulbs.
rear roof lights,
2x footwell light panel bulbs,
1x glove box - Can someone post a picture
bootlight for the estate will be a festoon - is the saloon the same?

once i know what each bulb is i can start giving out the interior kit as no one got back to me with the interior bulbs of the front light unit but as i am getting the one from scott i can make an "off the shelf" kit for you guys but would want to know the differance between the saloon and estate, is the boot light the only differance? or could the rear roof lamp be differnant also?

if anyone can post up for me the saloon boot light and the saloon roof light then that would help out loads, and then i can get the front light ready and if its the same in both varients then we will be good to go on that.

price wise we are looking at no more than £40, if we can gather interest (5people or more) i can knock them out for £35 posted per person, i can have the whole thing going from next week if i can get all the info together, how does that sound?

Thanks

Could you also inlcude number plate lights like the pic above of ScottB5 please? (Assuming he got the bulbs for that from you?!)

Cheers

Dan

i cant see the picture on the pc i am using, i will be able to when im home and on the laptop.

i will get a few pairs of the sunvisor strips ready and made as scott has advised the newer ones has a roof sunvisor light.

plate bulbs for like scotts are £5 a pair, as i am doing the kit at £35 and is slightly more work as i need to mod some of the bulbs to fit, i cant put these in for free. sorry. keep the list coming and hopefully we can have all out by next week.

Thanks
Trups

1) Dan A4 Avant (Pre-facelift)

2) Geeman - '99 S4 Avant (Pre-facelift)

1) Dan A4 Avant (Pre-facelift)

2) Geeman - '99 S4 Avant (Pre-facelift)

3) MadMax2 - '00 S4 Sedan (Facelift)

cool, nearly got the 5 people already :) on the facelift cars i will need some more info on the roof lights, i think they are like the mk4 lamps, front and rear?

can anyone clarify?