Interior door handle, pull twice to open when locked - not working?!

OllieH

Reaction score
As per the title, when trying this with my drivers door handle, I have to pull the handle about 6 times before the door will unlock. The passenger side is fine. Has anyone else had this same problem and is it something that can be fixed by taking the door lock apart and making some adjustment, or is it a replacement lock job.

Cheers

Ah, ok. Maybe not too bad then. I'm assuming yours didn't work at all though, or was it the same as mine, and worked after about 6 pulls?

my old A3 did that, it was the plastic clip the metal rod from the interior handle goes into had broken. In one position it was fine but as it rotated round it went to the broken bit and either popped out or left it in a position where pulling the handle didnt put the latch at the door enough to open it.

It started with needing two or three pulls, then went so far out that it didn't disengage the lock at all (I had to do a combat style crawl across to the other side of the car to get out!).

Ok, cheers guys. Will have to take the door card off at some point and have a look. It works fine when the door is unlocked which is what made me think it was the lock mechanism itself. Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. :icon_thumright:

mine does it once every now and again.....didnt think anyone on here would know, cheers for raising it Ollie

Just out of interest, sure people do know this but I'm new ;)

If you use the VAG Com cable to change the coding (so the doors lock at 15kph), when you stop, turn off the ignition and remove the key, the doors unlock automatically to save the double pull unlock :)

Sure you did know this, but hey ho!

i didnt know about that...thanks fella, so VAG com can make my car lock after 15kph? :)

although mine does the double pull on unlocking from the outside, unlocking via the way you suggest wont cure the problem as the car is still essentially unlocking as it would on any other occasion

I have the same problem, two or three pulls and the lil sticky up knob thing doesnt move enough, quick press of the unlock button does the trick :)

JD09 wont those without a turbo timer be cringing at that idea ;)

Just out of interest, sure people do know this but I'm new ;)

If you use the VAG Com cable to change the coding (so the doors lock at 15kph), when you stop, turn off the ignition and remove the key, the doors unlock automatically to save the double pull unlock :)

Sure you did know this, but hey ho!

Sorry Pete but I did this myself Via Vagcom. If you can sweet talk someone in your area to letting you borrow vagcom, I can tell you how to turn the auto-lock off :icon_thumright:

Sorry Pete but I did this myself Via Vagcom. If you can sweet talk someone in your area to letting you borrow vagcom, I can tell you how to turn the auto-lock off :icon_thumright:

Hi Andy, it's not a problem to be honest. Most of the time I take the keys out before I get out anyway, and on the odd occasion I get out and leave the engine running, all I do is press the unlock button on the door. I actually like the auto lock function so will leave it as it is. It's just if I know something's wrong, I like to fix it, even if it's not really affecting me, lol. :uhm:

i didnt know about that...thanks fella, so VAG com can make my car lock after 15kph? :)

although mine does the double pull on unlocking from the outside, unlocking via the way you suggest wont cure the problem as the car is still essentially unlocking as it would on any other occasion

It can chap, I am based in Cheshire and more than happy to lend you the cable/software to do it. Really is easy :)

I have the same problem, two or three pulls and the lil sticky up knob thing doesnt move enough, quick press of the unlock button does the trick :)

JD09 wont those without a turbo timer be cringing at that idea ;)

Ha, very true, you didn't hear that from me ;)

Again, based in Cheshire if anyone wants it doing :)