Interest check: Low cost carbon fiber interior trimmings for 8V

larbel

Reaction score
First of all, if this is inappropriate, please let me know and I'll delete it. I just want to check in on if there's any interests before I even ask the admin for starting a group buy thread...

A little background about myself, I am partnered in a US based high end collectibles company and due to my work nature, I worked with fiberglass, injection and die-cast vendors in China all the time. And just so happened one of the fiberglass vendor that we work with also do carbon fiber auto parts.

With that in mind, there're a few companies in China making carbon fiber trimmings for 8V but all of them are LHD for local China market. You see them from time to time on eBay going for about US$175-200 per set (7 pcs, 4 door trims and 3 dash pieces). These are taped ON TOP of the current trimmings, it is NOT a direct replacement part. The 4 door trims of course work for both LHD and RHD but the 3 dash pieces don't. So, I was talking to the vendor about making RHD versions, and I'll have to pay for the tooling and with min quantity of 30 sets, so here I'm, just wanting to see if there's enough interests for RHD version of this mod.

They're 100% real carbon fiber with high polished glossy gel coat finishes. Available in black carbon or black with red stitch carbon. The tooling will be amortized into the unit costs based on 30 sets, and each sets of 7 pcs with tooling amortized will be approx. US$155/set PLUS, I'll need to order an OEM dash pieces for the vendor to 3D scan and make the steel tools. I haven't check on the dash pieces prices yet, but maybe US$600 or so? If so, that's additional US$20 a piece making the total US$175/set. Not a bad deal vs ordering the US$1K+ RS3 carbon trimmings...

If there's enough interests and it's a go, my plan is to have all of them send to maybe a reputable member in UK, and then he can help distribute them to rest of the members to save on shipping? If not, individual shipping by EMS should be around US$30 from Hong Kong to UK since they're light.

Here're some pictures from the vendor, I'll receive a sample LHD set in a few days and will post close up detail picture for quality check. And if the project is a go, I'll personally monitor the progress, and will inspect each and every single piece before shipping them out. If my creditability is a concern, I'm a top rated eBay seller, and can disclose my company details for verification if needed. I just want to get the RHD version for my S3 LOL!!
IMG 9784
IMG 9787
IMG 9785
IMG 9786
IMG 9791
IMG 9792
IMG 9783
IMG 9782
IMG 9780
IMG 9781
IMG 9779

Reactions: Andyh1873 and zippster
Yes please, also that steering wheel in carbon looks awesome.

Reactions: sjbarneS3
Yes please. @larbel could you also enquire if they'd be willing to look at carbon fibre versions of our tailpipe trims?

I'd be on board with this so long as the quality is acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Sandra and the ASN admins, this possible Group Buy is now officially approved!

**** DISCLAIMER - Audi-Sport.net is in no way responsible for any possible quality, dispute or any other related issues should it happens with this possible group buy. All issues related to this Group buy will be my (Larbel) sole responsibility.

**** Please read the below updated message before signing up, once signed up, you are committed to buy if this Group Buy is a go ahead.

This is an interest check for possible group buy, please read the entire post before signing up.

A little background about myself, I am partnered in a US based high end collectibles company and due to my work nature, I worked with fiberglass, injection and die-cast vendors in China all the time. And just so happened one of the fiberglass vendor that we work with also do carbon fiber auto parts.

With that in mind, there're a few companies in China making carbon fiber trimmings for 8V but all of them are LHD for local China market. You see them from time to time on eBay going for about US$175-200 per set (7 pcs, 4 door trims and 3 dash pieces). These are taped ON TOP of the current trimmings, it is NOT a direct replacement part. The 4 door trims of course work for both LHD and RHD but the 3 dash pieces don't. So, I was talking to the vendor about making RHD versions, and I'll have to pay for the tooling and with min quantity of 30 sets, so here I'm, just wanting to see if there's enough interests for RHD version of this mod.

Item description: Customs Carbon Fiber Interior trims for Audi 8V RHD

Material: High quality Carbon Fiber with polished glossy gel coat finishes.

Colors: 1) Black carbon fiber
2) Black carbon fiber with red stitching. (Only if interests for RED stitching exceeded 20 sets)

Set includes: 4 door trims + 3 dash trims

Price: Approx. US$161/set of 7 pcs + shipping + PayPal fees

Country of Origin: China / Shipping out from Hong Kong

They're 100% real carbon fiber with high polished glossy gel coat finishes. Available in black carbon or black with red stitch carbon. The tooling will be amortized into the unit costs based on 30 sets, and each sets of 7 pcs with tooling amortized will be approx. US$155/set PLUS, I just eBayed an used set of OEM dash pieces for the vendor to 3D scan and make the steel tools. The used set I paid US$178 with shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/182021860962?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT That's US$6 additional each for 30 sets, making the total unit price US$161/set. Not a bad deal vs ordering the US$1K+ RS3 carbon trimmings...

Shipping option: 1) Send to a corresponding member in UK for re-distribution. (TBD)
2) Direct shipping from HK to UK by EMS Speedpost (Approx. US$30/set)

If there's enough interests and it's a go, my plan is to have all of them send to maybe a reputable member in UK, and then he can help distribute them to rest of the members to save on shipping? If not, individual shipping by EMS should be around US$30 from Hong Kong to UK since they're light. Please let me know if you're willing to take on the responsibility of distributing them in UK, and vote to have it redistribute or direct ship.

Below is the LHD version's sample I received, they're extremely thin and little flexible, it's about 0.5mm thick and quality and fitment are both pretty damn good. Please note that I did NOT sticker them to my door, that's why you see a little gap since it's flexible, it will be perfect fit once it's taped on, and I'll also work with the vendor to ensure the fitment will be perfect.

And if the project is a go, I'll personally monitor the progress, and will inspect each and every single piece before shipping them out. If my creditability is a concern, I'm a top rated eBay seller, and can disclose my company details for verification if needed.

Please sign up using the below format:

1) Name / color / vote for redistribute or direct ship

Thank you! And if anyone want to see any specific angle of the pieces, please let me know.

IMG 9428 Custom

This is the standard packaging that it will comes in.

IMG 9429 Custom

Extremely thin (0.5mm) and a little flexible but Carbon Fiber sturdy!

IMG 9431 Custom

Front glossy Gel Coat finish.

IMG 9432 Custom

Back side showing the Carbon Fiber layer, and pre-stickered with 3M double side tapes.

IMG 9433 Custom

Macro shot of the back side Carbon layer.

IMG 9434 Custom

Macro shot of the front Gel Coat.

IMG 9435 Custom

Macro shot showing some imperfection of the Carbon Fiber, please note that this is to be expected, and you can see it because this is a macro shot.

IMG 9436 Custom

Side by side comparison with my T-Carbon Key fob cover.

Reactions: Sandra
Fitment pictures on my car, again, it is NOT taped that's why the gaps ...

IMG 9795
IMG 9796
IMG 9797

Reactions: zippster
Have you any pics of the red stitching option? I'm def in just need to pick what colour

Have you any pics of the red stitching option? I'm def in just need to pick what colour

There's a few pictures on the first post for now, but the vendor will send me more higher res pics Monday :grimacing:

There's a few pictures on the first post for now, but the vendor will send me more higher res pics Monday :grimacing:

Just had a look thanks! Ill go for the gloss black hahaha

Lewis McCracken / Gloss / Direct Shipping

(3 door hatch)

Special note: For 8V 3 Doors... Sorry, but the set comes in 7 pcs, I'll try to see if the vendor's willing to do some in 5 pcs at lower cost, but no promise..

Please copy and paste to sign up:

1) Larbel / natural glossy / Open to vote
2) Dandanfings / ? / ? (Please confirm if you're still up for this)
3) batch / natural glossy / direct ship please!
4) pat15312 / ? / ? (Please confirm if you're still up for this)
5) silverpig / ? / ? (Please confirm if you're still up for this)
6) LewMcC / Gloss / Direct Shipping
7) zippster / natural glossy / direct ship please!
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

Long way to go LOL

I'm a defo for this

8)Bradks3 / natural glossy / direct ship I think, cheers.
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

Long way to go LOL

@larbel aren't the 3dr items longer?

I think you're right!!!! :fearscream: But I'm pretty sure I've seen 3 doors with this mod at the shop, let me make sure Monday, will find out if there's 5 pcs version for 3 doors at lower cost or sedan/sportback only mod... :sweat::sweat::sweat: Meantime, maybe it's good idea to indicate "3 Doors" too when signing up for 3 Doors.. Thanks for catching that batch!!

Reactions: LewMcC and batch
I think you're right!!!! :fearscream: But I'm pretty sure I've seen 3 doors with this mod at the shop, let me make sure Monday, will find out if there's 5 pcs version for 3 doors at lower cost or sedan/sportback only mod... :sweat::sweat::sweat: Meantime, maybe it's good idea to indicate "3 Doors" too when signing up for 3 Doors.. Thanks for catching that batch!!
Can you ask them if they'd do our tailpipe trims please? One-off not a problem!

Please find out about 3 door as i will order some too in black carbon.

Depending how this goes could carbon engine bay bits be a possibility?

Count me in please

9) Lightspeed998 / natural glossy / direct ship
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

10) Lenny151 / natural glossy / direct ship
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

11) @Shawn8V natural gloss / saloon / direct ship
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

Getting there :):)

Please read!!!!!!

I just talk to the vendor and realized they DO NOT have the trims for 3 Doors hatchback!!! I'm looking right now on eBay trying to find the 3 Doors' trims for making molds. Looks like I can get them for US$150 or so, and depends on how many 3 doors we need, the cost could be quite a bit higher than Sedan/Sportback since all 5 pcs will be custom made for 3 Doors...

Please indicate if you're signing up for 3 Doors and you can decide if you still want it when I have the final cost. This is my overlook, terribly sorry about the misleading info.

7) zippster / natural glossy / 3 Door /direct ship please!
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

I'm interested but I would want the center console as well like all the other "s" cars, around the gearshift. Still don't know why they don't have these standard

Reactions: LewMcC
I'm interested but I would want the center console as well like all the other "s" cars, around the gearshift. Still don't know why they don't have these standard

That's actually my next project *if* this one is a success... The current available center console does NOT have keyless start, and there's no printing on the volume knob, still talking to the vendor on price and MOQ, but the 3 pieces (top and 2 sides) should be around US$70, again, it's a stick on thin carbon fiber layer, and will only happens if this one goes...

TB2AgP4oXXXXXcrXpXXXXXXXXXX 2341700227

Reactions: LewMcC and Dandanfings
That's actually my next project *if* this one is a success... The current available center console does NOT have keyless start, and there's no printing on the volume knob, still talking to the vendor on price and MOQ, but the 3 pieces (top and 2 sides) should be around US$70, again, it's a stick on thin carbon fiber layer, and will only happens if this one goes...

View attachment 95996
That's pretty!

Please read!!!!!!

I just talk to the vendor and realized they DO NOT have the trims for 3 Doors hatchback!!! I'm looking right now on eBay trying to find the 3 Doors' trims for making molds. Looks like I can get them for US$150 or so, and depends on how many 3 doors we need, the cost could be quite a bit higher than Sedan/Sportback since all 5 pcs will be custom made for 3 Doors...

Please indicate if you're signing up for 3 Doors and you can decide if you still want it when I have the final cost. This is my overlook, terribly sorry about the misleading info.

Thats fine I am still more than happy to go for this.

12) FluffmeisterAU natural gloss / 5 dr hatch/ direct ship to AU (is it a problem?)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

2) Dandanfings / natural glossy / 3 Door / ?
4) pat15312 / ? / 3 Door? / ? (Please confirm if you're still up for this)
6) LewMcC / Gloss / 3 Door / Direct Shipping
12) FluffmeisterAU natural gloss / 5 dr hatch/ direct ship to AU (is it a problem?)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

FluffmeisterAU - No problem shipping to Australia, it should be slightly cheaper too.
And everyone, please help add if you're signing up for 3 doors.

Quick update:

The cost for 3 Door Hatch is US$20 extra making it US$181 + shipping + PayPal fees (Set of 5 pcs). I haven't purchase the 3 Dr trim yet, will see how many people still want this before buying. Sedan/Sportback remains US$161 + shipping + PayPal fees (Set of 7 pcs).

And I do NOT know if the 3 Door Hatch version will fit cabrio, so at this time, I'm NOT offering them for cabrio, sorry.

Again, please adjust the list if you're signing up for 3 Door Hatch to indicate the same, thanks!

Reactions: Dandanfings and zippster
2) Dandanfings / natural glossy / 3 Door / ?
4) pat15312 / ? / 3 Door? / ? (Please confirm if you're still up for this)
6) LewMcC / Gloss / 3 Door / Direct Shipping
13) @sjbarneS3 3 door natural glossy. Can you send mine with @batch for 1 off cost?
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

FluffmeisterAU - No problem shipping to Australia, it should be slightly cheaper too.
And everyone, please help add if you're signing up for 3 doors.[/QUOTE]

Id be interested in exhaust replacements too, as long as they're able to withstand the heat.

Also a bloomin' front splitter for the 3 door... Only HT Autos do one on eBay, but it's just plastic

Northern Ireland here and Im in Dublin a fair bit if that helps anyone

Sure guys, I can do combine ship, but it goes by weight too per kgs, but still, you'd save on shipping.

And to answer some of the questions... The vendor can do custom job so anything's possible, engine cover might not be a bad idea haha!

And for exhaust tip, my vendor don't current making any, majority of people go for the Akrapovic knock off I think... They look authentic, but I'm pretty sure it's knock off judging from the price. Claimed to be 304 stainless with high quality carbon outer shell. They runs about US$35/pc, so for S3, you're looking at approx. US$140 plus shipping. They're clamp on so need to cut off the existing tip to fit them, and available in almost any diameter...

TB273wbnVXXXXXpXFXXXXXXXXXX 2853918620
TB2yE47aFXXXXceXpXXXXXXXXXX 2853918620

And here's one front splitter I found, it's about US$356, hollowed carbon fiber construction. Not a fan myself... I'll check with my vendor to see if they have any tomorrow...

TB2 8sNfVXXXXbFXXXXXXXXXXXX 293803415
TB25aoZfVXXXXXSXXXXXXXXXXXX 293803415
TB2ipszfVXXXXbTXpXXXXXXXXXX 293803415

Sure guys, I can do combine ship, but it goes by weight too per kgs, but still, you'd save on shipping.

And to answer some of the questions... The vendor can do custom job so anything's possible, engine cover might not be a bad idea haha!

And for exhaust tip, my vendor don't current making any, majority of people go for the Akrapovic knock off I think... They look authentic, but I'm pretty sure it's knock off judging from the price. Claimed to be 304 stainless with high quality carbon outer shell. They runs about US$35/pc, so for S3, you're looking at approx. US$140 plus shipping. They're clamp on so need to cut off the existing tip to fit them, and available in almost any diameter...

View attachment 96112 View attachment 96113

And here's one front splitter I found, it's about US$356, hollowed carbon fiber construction. Not a fan myself... I'll check with my vendor to see if they have any tomorrow...

View attachment 96114 View attachment 96115 View attachment 96116
I've got those - I'd be keen for replicas of the OEM kit?