Intercoolers

I have read this before and there is a lot of untrue things in there, Like bar and plate coolers are better than tube and fin. If that was the case then why does F1, WRC, BTCC and all the most expensive hyper cars use tube and fin.

I have read this before and there is a lot of untrue things in there, Like bar and plate coolers are better than tube and fin. If that was the case then why does F1, WRC, BTCC and all the most expensive hyper cars use tube and fin.

I suppose it’s how you define better.
race cars and hyper cars are looking to lose weight and every gram counts so better is the lighter option. With their budgets and big wallets durability is not an issue especially the little miles they do. It makes sense the tube/fin arrangement works here
Road cars we want durability and weight is not an issue so bar/plate makes more sense. Road cars do a lot more miles and we need it to be more resistant to puncturing.
Not trying to argue but just how I read it and understood it.

I suppose it’s how you define better.
race cars and hyper cars are looking to lose weight and every gram counts so better is the lighter option. With their budgets and big wallets durability is not an issue especially the little miles they do. It makes sense the tube/fin arrangement works here
Road cars we want durability and weight is not an issue so bar/plate makes more sense. Road cars do a lot more miles and we need it to be more resistant to puncturing.
Not trying to argue but just how I read it and understood it.
Why do you say the durability is not good on tube and fin?
And the reason they are light is down to basic thermal dynamics. Once you get heat in a bar and plate or any heavy bit of metal it holds heat longer than a thin light bit of metal.

Why do you say the durability is not good on tube and fin?
And the reason they are light is down to basic thermal dynamics. Once you get heat in a bar and plate or any heavy bit of metal it holds heat longer than a thin light bit of metal.

Not saying it’s not good but by design they will break easier. It’s like a radiator on the car. The fins over time will bend from impact like stones and other stuff on the roads. The bar and plate will be more resistant to those kind of impacts as it’s thicker sturdier metal and like you said the thermal dynamics is the trade off.
It’s like that with everything nothing is perfect and for every benefit there will be an argument that’s negative.
For me reading the article gave me an insight into how intercoolers are constructed. In theory it’s for me to make an educated decision on which type I want rather than follow the crowd and we all get the same one and end up with the same problems.
Now I can decide do I want all out power and low weight to longevity and higher weight with lower peak power. Other things like construction and diameter of in/out is another thing to think about.

Reactions: Sandra
Just get the Wagner.

Reactions: Leevr
I would not say they break easier at all if they have cnc end tanks and F1 have over 5 bar of boost in them. The external fins are the same bar and plate or tub and fin. When it says tub and fin it’s on-about internal fins.