Intercooler ?

Jack mack

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone have any recommendations/ experience for an intercooler for the 8v s3 ? Thanks in advance

Wagner
Revo
APR
Forge

These are probably the most popular with Wagner probably regarded as giving the ultimate performance but it’s expensive and requires some fettling of the bumper to fit. I have the Revo one and am very pleased with it.

Worth trying the search function as loads of info on here.

Reactions: Jack mack and Sandra
I will be on this band wagon too soon I think when going Stage 2 - ideally I would like a straight in fit with no fettling but will see at the time

Reactions: Jack mack and Rob2k68
I will be on this band wagon too soon I think when going Stage 2 - ideally I would like a straight in fit with no fettling but will see at the time

Revo is 100% direct fit.

Reactions: Jack mack and Boydie
Make sure you buy a thick (60-65mm) one with FDS System (Wagner seems fully OK). I have got the Forge IC

Reactions: Jack mack
Thanks guys, spoke to a few people and went with Wagner ! Grabbing a vwr catch can at the same time

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
Also is a catch can required for Stage 2/3 or those with uprated ICs?

I don't want to have to keep emptying it as I do a hell of a lot of miles

Reactions: Rob2k68
A catch can is not required at all but if you want to start preventative maintenance to your car it is advise - they do not add any performance benefit at all

I got an APR one for mine which has a tap at the bottom for emptying - I plan to route an air line to it and connect to the bottom of the bumper for easy emptying with a tap on the end of it as well.

As regards to the catch can, it's definitely not a necessity but after speaking to a few people a lot more knowledgeable than myself it seems worth it to offset the drop in octane under heavy/constant load as my thing gets it's head kicked in on the 1/4 mile quite regularly

Reactions: Forbzeeee, RSS-S3 and Rob2k68
To the OP, looks like I will be getting a Revo IC in the next week or so. I will let you know how I get on with it. Also thanks to @Rob2k68 for the encouragement.

The flow rate for the forge intercooler is sufficent for up to 500hp, that's where the Wagner comes in to its own, these are proven to flow well to way over 600hp, they have just released a new intercooler in the last few weeks which is meant to be better than the current one, the forge is a direct fit & the Wagner needs a bit of trimming of the plastic front panel as it's got a larger core

Reactions: S3Racing, Forbzeeee, Jack mack and 1 other person
It should be available through any Revo dealer, I bought mine from Reflex Auto Design in Daventry.
Revo didn't have any in the country for the last few months but I spoke to Paul (Revo) at GTI Inters and he told me that they had a container load on its way, so dealers should have them available now.

Revo didn't have any in the country for the last few months but I spoke to Paul (Revo) at GTI Inters and he told me that they had a container load on its way, so dealers should have them available now.

It’s never been officially released but they sell every one they can make. I guess once they build up stock then they’ll release it !

What you think about AIRTEC or HG Motorsport intercooler?

VWRacing have just launched one as well I believe so a fair bit of choice.

Couple of pics of the Revo one next to the original one - Revo has cast end tanks that are much larger, it's taller and also the core is around 1/2 an inch thicker :-

IMG 4345

IMG 4346

Rob HG looks similar to revo!
They got also V2 with fins inside inlet side for better cooling
IMG 2301

IMG 2298

IMG 2299

IMG 2300

IMG 2206

Last edited:
Reactions: Forbzeeee and Rob2k68
From what I've heard/seen with my own eyes the Wagner is fit for how far realistically your going to push the platform without taking the biscuit so to speak haha, just think the price point might sway some people

I went for Wagner so I didn't have to change at a later date.

@Rob2k68 Do you know the dimensions of the Revo IC?

No mate @Revo Steve-W may come back with some I only have my side by side picture above, it’s a good inch taller and has huge end tanks, the core is half inch thicker. Could be wrong but as it comes with new hoses the inlet/outlet may be a larger diameter .....

IMG 4570

IMG 4568

IMG 4569

IMG 4567

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and Forbzeeee
The Revo cooler was never officially released, as we couldn't keep up with the global demand for this product after doing extensive in house design and testing, creating a very effective product.
However, we are now getting to a point where we can fully release the Revo FMIC and support with the stock.

Full release should be within the next month. Watch this space...

Reactions: jungle650, Forbzeeee, larbel and 1 other person
The Revo cooler was never officially released, as we couldn't keep up with the global demand for this product after doing extensive in house design and testing, creating a very effective product.
However, we are now getting to a point where we can fully release the Revo FMIC and support with the stock.

Full release should be within the next month. Watch this space...

Is there any group buy or discount for ASN? I could even test it here it Hong Kong with our super hot climate and review to local HK/China forums... hint hint LOL

Is there any group buy or discount for ASN? I could even test it here it Hong Kong with our super hot climate and review to local HK/China forums... hint hint LOL

The FMIC's have already sold in their hundreds around the globe over the past two years since first seen at Goodwood 2015 and prior to the release were tested globally, as with all Revo product. Much of which is done in South Africa for altitude/climate.

The pricing is sweet and it'll be more amount trying to get stock to support demand, we'd also rather everyone gets a fair price on a very much proven product than inflate the price to then discount.

Please speak to your local Revo dealer/distributor for more details and pricing - http://www.revotechnik.com/dealer-locator

or Sign up to our Mailing list

The flow rate for the forge intercooler is sufficent for up to 500hp, that's where the Wagner comes in to its own, these are proven to flow well to way over 600hp, they have just released a new intercooler in the last few weeks which is meant to be better than the current one, the forge is a direct fit & the Wagner needs a bit of trimming of the plastic front panel as it's got a larger core

I can confirm this. The Forge works well with my 495 HP / 580 Torque turbo charger. Here the dyno of tij-power.com

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly and Kenny_GTI
Anyone know the size for the 1.4tfsi upgraded cooler?