Intercooler replacement options (S3 8P 2006)

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
When the bumper was off to do the Honeycombe grill a few weeks back, I noticed that the intercooler looked a bit worse for wear (gravel rash etc) and I'm unsure of it's condition.
I will be getting the bumper off again tomorrow to fit the new Xenon bulbs, so while it is off I will take a closer look at it. If it's in need of replacement then I will source one, butI'm not looking for a Wagner high flow intercooler.
Is there a direct replacement part that can be sourced from another car (Leon Cupra R/RS3/etc) that fits out of the box and offers the same or better airflow for a decent price?
I know the S3 intercooler is a common mod on the Golf GTI, so is there another OEM upgrade available for us?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Daveyonthemove not that I’m aware of specifically.

As you’re pre-fl you have a better version IC than the fl/later S38P which were changed to plastic end caps.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Normally it is the AC radiator that suffers with gravel rash as it is in front of the intercooler.
Always worth replacing at the same time as upgrading the intercooler as often the airflow becomes restricted.
As said above, you already have the best OE product, only aftermarket will be an improvement.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a closer look today and see if it needs replacing and stick to OEM parts if it does.