Intake

banny650

Reaction score
Anyone successfully fitted an integrated engineering to a 2019 car? As it looks like Audi made some change to the DNWA engine intake setup

I know it’s not an answer but how much power are you looking for?

IE have developed an adapter, seen some pics posted on FB groups by them, however for some bizarre reason it seems it won't be released for a few months, I'd sent IE a mail about it and see what they suggest.

There's also a pic posted by Tony @ VTT on the groups, I believe he has used the stock part and joined it successfully as a bodge:
IE 2019

Around 500ish would be my aim, dont fancy putting a rod through the block

You don’t need to spend £1400 on an IE intake for 500hp. I’ve been tempted too, mainly for the carbon look but didn’t need it.

A Forge turbo inlet pipe, larger back pipe & a K&N filter is all that I’ve had fitted on the inlet side. The first two only added 25hp with no peak torque improvement. Not that I regret doing them for a second as it was a very cheap 25hp.

Here is a before and after fitting of the turbo inlet & back pipe. For the sake of clarity I don’t have a TT-RS, that’s just what comes up on Dave’s dyno.

281AA365 C9B9 4F08 A35F 76E87CBF14F8

Reactions: banny650
You don’t need to spend £1400 on an IE intake for 500hp. I’ve been tempted too, mainly for the carbon look but didn’t need it.

A Forge turbo inlet pipe, larger back pipe & a K&N filter is all that I’ve had fitted on the inlet side. The first two only added 25hp with no peak torque improvement. Not that I regret doing them for a second as it was a very cheap 25hp.

Here is a before and after fitting of the turbo inlet & back pipe. For the sake of clarity I don’t have a TT-RS, that’s just what comes up on Dave’s dyno.

View attachment 187931

Cheers for that, that is that decided then. seems like these engines do not need much to get some good power out of them. Worth getting a better intercooler?

I was certainly recommended to go with an intercooler & a BCS downpipe and, given my results, would have no hesitation in doing the same again.

Need to decide if I want to mess with the opf nonsense haha

Need to decide if I want to mess with the opf nonsense haha

Of course. Fortunately my 18plate doesn’t suffer from this addition.

As an aside, have you come from the world of Impreza’s?

Indeed I have come from Imprezas, they were my first love. I do miss them sometimes but not the drama that came with them haha

LOL, likewise, I don’t miss the drama either. Nor the cost of getting to somewhere close to 500 with a laggy GT3076.

lmao oh I can sympathise with that as it was my very first project, best one i did was the 2.35 with a Gt35 and built heads mapped by the late great Simon jolly green onster

I should have done the same. Had an offer on a 2.2 that I should have taken. By that time I was in way too deep. Apologies for taking this off track & good luck with the RS3.

Attachments

• CE2C1834-CFB9-40AB-B88E-13EE9C30F1A8.jpeg
    CE2C1834-CFB9-40AB-B88E-13EE9C30F1A8.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 287
Nah I still love imprezas and its good to reminisce with a fellow ex owner, thats an clean engine bay looks like an RCM build?

Mostly Brian Downie using RCM parts and block build. Lots of fun and more than the odd moment of frustration just as you did. I used to follow your project on SN or 22B. Good times.

Nah I still love imprezas and its good to reminisce with a fellow ex owner, thats an clean engine bay looks like an RCM build?
We're you on SNet Banny as I recognise the username?

TX.

Edit - remap only will get you close to 500/500 in a FL.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

We're you on SNet Banny as I recognise the username?

TX.

Edit - remap only will get you close to 500/500 in a FL.

Yes that is me from SNet, still remember the white spec c you purchased from PCM. Mine is a opf car so I think 500/500 would be a struggle unless I removed them prior to remap

Reactions: Terminator x
@Beebee-one is at about 550hp albeit non GPF car. He might post here now I've tagged him.

TX.

Was this with your car at stage 2?

At Stage 1 I fitted the IE intake, logs showed a big reduction in wastegate duty which was felt as more responsive, but nothing in performance as the turbo still had headroom. A hotter day might have seen a bit of benefit, and it would have allowed to push a couple more psi, but at this level I'd agree that the forge inlet and pipe will be as effective to maximise power.

I had the Forge inlet and IC fitted after, no measurable improvement there but that could have been a case of the IC adding some resistance and the inlet offsetting, who knows. I wish we could get a better inlet but RHD is such a limitation, especially when you factor in engine movement. In that respect the silicone helps as it just squishes a bit.

Stage 2 is a different beast, the limitation is now turbo and as such any help you give it will improve power. The oversize pipe and inlet on stock airbox still get great gains and offer best bang/buck, if you want to maximise regardless of cost then look at the 1k intakes... I'm still at 100% wastegate from 5-7k on E85. I need to log 99RON on a 4th gear pull for comparison, then I'm gonna fit the SRM IM elbow + tube and re-test both fuels...

Hot tip: get a cheap ticket to Vegas, pick up your IE intake. Mine cost £995 and the saving paid the flight - it just fits without being oversize ;)

Hi Ross,

This is with my car at Stage 2, nothing done with the turbo yet. The graph I posted above was before, and after, the Forge inlet, back pipe & inlet manifold elbow / DV were fitted. As far as I’m aware there was no mapping done with the exception of Mihnea very kindly supplying an Old Man map which got rid of the infuriating pops & bangs.

I have given some consideration to a TTE700 but MRC would still want to limit the torque to circa 750nM and I’m already close.

Like you, Dave Henderson recommends the IE kit but it seems superfluous at present when I may need rods & pistons before pushing the torque to 800nM+. It certainly looks like the best flowing kit on the market but with the US$ trading at £1:$1.17 it’s expensive no matter which way round you do it. If I could get a new one for £995 I’d have it.

I agree about the turbo inlet. It’s a great shame we can’t use the APR version but well done to Forge for producing something that works.

Yeah if that's on Stage2 that makes sense you saw such an improvement without Mihnea doing any magic. I doubt there's much more than 10hp in there by fitting the IE. Get some of that map switching on there ;)

I'm not (yet) tempted by TTE - I run an E85 map from time to time which is like 'Pay As You Go' hybrid power. That's really pushing the limits at 760nm and 620hp, I wouldn't want to go Hybrid without building the bottom end either. To be honest whilst it feels like a come-down going back to T99 the chassis as it is now is better suited to it, I think coilovers and poly bushes etc start to be become neccesary >550hp.

Unitronic have a similar intake to the IE version in development which must soon be ready for market. I believe MRC may be able to source one?
These 4 inch expensive carbon intakes seem to work best when running hybrid/big turbo conversions where the benefits of the extra airflow can be fully utilised.
I run the Forge larger air intake and larger silicone turbo inlet (only thing currently available for RHD cars) BMC hi-flow panel filter with MRC switchable mapping. Results is around 550ps (seen as high as 560ps on different dynos) and up to 767nm. This is stock turbo.

IMG 0566

Reactions: banny650, Terminator x, Ross_T_Boss and 1 other person
Unitronic have a similar intake to the IE version in development which must soon be ready for market. I believe MRC may be able to source one?
These 4 inch expensive carbon intakes seem to work best when running hybrid/big turbo conversions where the benefits of the extra airflow can be fully utilised.
I run the Forge larger air intake and larger silicone turbo inlet (only thing currently available for RHD cars) BMC hi-flow panel filter with MRC switchable mapping. Results is around 550ps (seen as high as 560ps on different dynos) and up to 767nm. This is stock turbo.

There's some good design tweaks on Uni, like the flexi-pipe design and reinforced clamping sections. No doubt they'll have it flowing at least as well too, it's been a long time in the design phase, not much said about it of late but I believe they are in Production now. I am intrigued to see a comparison.

IE did have data showing at stage2 their intake has quite a good ram-air effect which is where they said it will start to see good gains. Those with higher DA will benefit earlier I guess, I took some grief for showing my data on FB with no performance advantage at stg1 but others did in more extreme conditions. Point I was making is that it's not as simple as 'which is better', and those buying should be aware it may not be necessary depending on their requirements and atmospheric conditions.

Those are great figures, I'm not sure there is much more to be gained on the stock turbo without exotic fuels.

Reactions: banny650 and Beebee-one
There's some good design tweaks on Uni, like the flexi-pipe design and reinforced clamping sections. No doubt they'll have it flowing at least as well too, it's been a long time in the design phase, not much said about it of late but I believe they are in Production now. I am intrigued to see a comparison.

IE did have data showing at stage2 their intake has quite a good ram-air effect which is where they said it will start to see good gains. Those with higher DA will benefit earlier I guess, I took some grief for showing my data on FB with no performance advantage at stg1 but others did in more extreme conditions. Point I was making is that it's not as simple as 'which is better', and those buying should be aware it may not be necessary depending on their requirements and atmospheric conditions.

Those are great figures, I'm not sure there is much more to be gained on the stock turbo without exotic fuels.

I have resisted the E85 route despite the temptation of the bigger numbers.......too much hassle here in the UK to maintain the higher octane fuel and run the engine safely. It also maxes out the stock turbo too and you end up venturing into the danger area of running big torque on stock internals (north of 750nm). I have run various larger intake pipes at stage 1 tune (with uprated IC) but only seen around 4- 6ps gains at best and maybe 10-12nm torque over the stock pipe. It wasn't until I fitted a downpipe, larger turbo elbow and larger air intake pipe that the power figures saw a nice increase and made the car really perform well. I have also been experimenting with octane boosters with the switchable mapping and seeing some variable results.

Reactions: Terminator x and Ross_T_Boss
I have resisted the E85 route despite the temptation of the bigger numbers.......too much hassle here in the UK

I can attest to that, I ran various blends and ended up with a US 5-gal jerry can secured in the boot! It was fun while it lasted but not practical over here, 2-stage fuel stop got old and range hit by 1/3 on the E65 equivalent blend I finalised on. I'd be comfortable taking a couple of jerry cans to Santa Pod or something of the sorts, and will def flip it and fill E85 when driving in France. The Unitronic isn't quite as simple as the MRC switch though, need the tablet and cable every time.

I'd be interested to know what positive results you found with Octane booster - I only have maps for 98, 108 and E85 and timing logs are clean, although I swear the tank of 99 with 1-2 gallons of residual E65 went a bit better, need to do more logs some time.

Sounds like you found Stage2 worth it as well - going Stage1 was the biggest performance increase, stage 2 still significant (.7s off 100-200) and made driving much more of an occasion for me with the noise, extra revs and relentless top-end.

I can attest to that, I ran various blends and ended up with a US 5-gal jerry can secured in the boot! It was fun while it lasted but not practical over here, 2-stage fuel stop got old and range hit by 1/3 on the E65 equivalent blend I finalised on. I'd be comfortable taking a couple of jerry cans to Santa Pod or something of the sorts, and will def flip it and fill E85 when driving in France. The Unitronic isn't quite as simple as the MRC switch though, need the tablet and cable every time.

I'd be interested to know what positive results you found with Octane booster - I only have maps for 98, 108 and E85 and timing logs are clean, although I swear the tank of 99 with 1-2 gallons of residual E65 went a bit better, need to do more logs some time.

Sounds like you found Stage2 worth it as well - going Stage1 was the biggest performance increase, stage 2 still significant (.7s off 100-200) and made driving much more of an occasion for me with the noise, extra revs and relentless top-end.

I will PM you so that the thread doesn't get hijacked and go off in a different direction to the OP's original question about intakes

Reactions: Ross_T_Boss
I had my heart set on the new APR open cone filter but it doesn't fit RHD cars apparently. Do we know what the issue is and if it's fixable?

I had my heart set on the new APR open cone filter but it doesn't fit RHD cars apparently. Do we know what the issue is and if it's fixable?

Me too. It depends on how fussy you are. The LHD mounting points don’t work so become superfluous. There is no support for large air filter so this would need figured out. It can, obviously, be made to work, as APR ran one in their nine second TTRS. Ecotune have also fitted one to the 600bhp TTRS they have been working on this week. It looks amazing & I just wish APR had given some thought to RHD cars.

Reactions: WilsonRS
is it not due to the brake booster being in the way on the RHD cars?

is it not due to the brake booster being in the way on the RHD cars?

That's the 4" turbo inlet that won't fit due to the break booster on the bulkhead. I figure you could make the APR inlet fit with the 3.5" Forge inlet, using a short reducer like I have? I do recall they said they would supply the rear pipe only (separate from the turbo inlet).

In terms of mounting points, best ask APR UK, the only mounting bracket I can see fits under the cone to support the pipe and that's right over the old airbox mountings, I can't see anything different there. Are we sure when they say "LHD only" they do mean the cone, not the turbo inlet?

I think it is just the turbo inlet, as awesome gti had one fitted to their TTRS