Intake Manifold fan

axeandy

Reaction score
just had a service on my 54plate a3 2.0 sportback tdi and im told the IMP is faulty hence the warning light on the dash. i want to try removing , cleaning etc before i part with £££ on a new one. can anyone tell me where abouts this is on the engine please or even better send me a pic. much appreciated.
thanks

It sounds like whats fubar'd with mine. Intake manifold flap motor. Beyond repair mate, if your radiator fan is constantly on or it is blowing fuses then yes it is the same

just been out to check fuses and yes its blown, havent noticed fan on all time though, i want to try stripping down before splash out and will clean egr as well but cant find any pics on net as to its location. im guessing that is at the front of the engine and it the unit with large pipe comming down? cant complain car is on 54 plate and has covered 150k , this was my old company car until 07 and bought for wife. still runs like a new car apart from now this prob

Yeahyou have to unplug the connector and refit a fuse, if it blows you know its not that which is in fault. It most likely is though. I believe it is on the front of the engine somewhere on the intake manifold. As i say, unplug it and see if it blows a fuse. /im not really too bothered about mine to be honest, il just get on 2nd hand i guess. Also, i would suggest getting an allard egr blank off ebay as i will be doing in the near future. Keep us posted with ur progress mate

will do thanks for your help will mess with it tomor, runs ok, garage wanted £288 plus vat, ill get one myself used as the wife want to change the car anyway. women eh. this is the first real prob in 150k miles, relucant to get rid as had from new , looks like new when clean and with private plate cant tell its 54plate. keep you posted, cheers

They are lovely cars mate. Il be honest too, £288 + vat i assume is just the part? No worries anyways buddy, good luck!

Well yesterday i stripped down the Inlet Manifold, cleaned with card cleaner, freed up the flap ,put back together and changed the fuse. took for text run and hey presto the fault light has cleared and the car is running sweet...so people before parting with your ££££ take it apart and see if you can save.

The part costs £200 from GSF and cleaning it may help but its common for the gears inside the unit to brake.

Yeap as Roman states, if its the older version still, the plastic teeth break & it will work intermittantly, so if you didnt check the teeth, then you maybe have just prelonged the inevitable, I'd double check it tbh.