Insurance?

mark_sarah

Limp mode!
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any insurance companys??

Had a shock today.. My insurance renewel came through the door £870....:(

Looked on supermarket.com and managed to get it down to £614, this may seem cheap to some, but i've not paid more than £400 for insurance for at least the last 15 years.

Need to phone around to be honest, online deals aint all that. My renewal quote this year was the best quote for the first time.

Just use all of the price comprison sites! You are bound to find a cheap deal. I found confused.com was the cheapest for me, don't know about you but I needed one that would accept all my mods. Also you can look into cashback deals, like topcashback or quidco which gives you really good cashback if you went with one of their chosen insurers, it makes it even cheaper! Good luck with your hunt.

I found Priviledge were the best for melast year , until I passed my IAM Advanced Driving Test earlier this year which allowed me to get cheaper insurance through them. I was paying just over £400 with Priviledge I think (35yrs old, full NCB, no claims/convictions, 12k miles/yr, car stored on driveway).

I'm with greenlight had a very good quote last year, they don't charge much for modifications and this year my renewal was cheaper than any other quote by £100!

I'm with greenlight had a very good quote last year, they don't charge much for modifications and this year my renewal was cheaper than any other quote by £100!

+1 for Greenlight - have been with them for over two years and they managed to always outquote everyone else with all mods declared for me. Saying that, my premium still went up by 60 squid this year :(

Insurance has been going up after last years bad weather causing so many accidents, and probably also the rise in uninsured drivers, so even if nothing has changed and you've gained an extra years no cliams it will probably still go up. Im with priviledge who's renewal quote last year had gone up from my previous year but they were still cheaper than the online search engines. Phoned adrian flux who came back witha really good quote but got Priviledge to match it. Be careful with the online search engines, you need to check the excess on these as they seem to be a lot higher these days.

I've found Admiral to be the cheapest for me over the last two years. Just renewed last month on a 10 month bonus accelerator for £568, 23 years old, 3 years NCB, parked on the street.

I've found Admiral to be the cheapest for me over the last two years. Just renewed last month on a 10 month bonus accelerator for £568, 23 years old, 3 years NCB, parked on the street.

Nice one, Im with admiral, but mines about £900 with all mods and 2-3 NCB (cant remeber which), it was £750 with no mods but I'm 22. You must live in a reallllllly nice area lol.

Last edited:
We're with Admiral, but have 5 cars in the family, so I guess that helps.

??? How??? I'm 23 (well, 24 now, but 23 when policy was taken out) and mine is garaged, in a nice area, 10 month bonus and 4 NCB = £760!

Just done an online quote with Privilege who I'm insured with now based on me having 7 years no claims (which i'll have touch wood when my renewal is due) being 27, having a second vehicle insured by them and having my house insurance with them and second driver (identicle to current policy) quote came back as £772.80 with excess of £450, changed the excess to £250 (same as current policy) requote was £837.90. I currently pay £548 (6 years no cliams), the year before I paid £434 (5 years no claims).

Its all just a big scam.

Mate of mine has a particularly bad driving history and was running some quotes recently and was amazed at how random they were.

For example a 2001 Renault Clio 1.2 was quite a bit more expensive than a 2005 Clio 1.2, even though they're identical, and obviously the newer cars going to be worth more, which is completely backwards.

He also quoted on an A4 1.8T, which came back at just over 3 grand, whereas a Citreon C2 VTR, which is a warm hatch that you'd expect chavs to drive but has the same performance figures as the A4 and was also much newer was only a grand.

just doing this research myself now.....ive been with A Flux for almost a decade, each year they beat my best quote..... historically i have got that best quote from privilege who this year deem fit to increase that 300%!!!

best so far are Greenlight and Aviva (with my staff discount @ £500) - thats with 10NB and no points 31 yr old - i plan on paying closer £400 though

If you go for your renewal, and you have not claimed in the year, you have personally given the insurance co, a few hundred pounds profit, so why the **** should it go up?.....

underwriting fella...... cost of those claims they have had to pay out for, the joys of pooled risk and inflation amongst many aspects

Holy S**t, I've been with directline for the last 8 years never looked at changing my insurance just accepted my renewal. this year it was about £1002. with no mods declared because when i got the car it was standard just changed Insurance over from old car.

anyway just done a quote with greenlight with all mods declared "everything down to little white audi stickers on the brake calipers" they come back with £498. unbelieveable thats like half the price i've been bent over and shafted.
now going to make some phone calls.

Guys, don't do too many insurance quotes... Apparently it goes on your credit report!

Holy S**t, I've been with directline for the last 8 years never looked at changing my insurance just accepted my renewal. this year it was about £1002. with no mods declared because when i got the car it was standard just changed Insurance over from old car.

anyway just done a quote with greenlight with all mods declared "everything down to little white audi stickers on the brake calipers" they come back with £498. unbelieveable thats like half the price i've been bent over and shafted.

Get it in writing! Then cancel, refund, move!

Guys, don't do too many insurance quotes... Apparently it goes on your credit report!

if you tell them your paying annually they shouldn't do a credit check....... (More Than told me this only last week until i quizzed them and questioned why they are checking the credit of someone paying upfront!!)

Mines up aswell.

£600 with Greenlight
7 ncb
All mods declared
Lowest crime rate zone and garaged
No accidents or claims
6 points but another 5 still counting as far as insurance are concerned.

I think its expensive.

if you tell them your paying annually they shouldn't do a credit check....... (More Than told me this only last week until i quizzed them and questioned why they are checking the credit of someone paying upfront!!)

Fair point, but I was told after doing an online one. Means the comparison company checks your credit to see whether the company results they show will cover you/give you the monthly payments!!! Cheeky barstewards!!

Mines up aswell.

£600 with Greenlight
7 ncb
All mods declared
Lowest crime rate zone and garaged
No accidents or claims
6 points but another 5 still counting as far as insurance are concerned.

I think its expensive.

I have 6 points also, and my quote was under £500 from Greenlight with all mods declared in B91 area, parked on the driveway.

I can't wait for my quotes to be as cheap as all yours!

I'm 22, 4 years protected NCB, all mods declared - £1200 fully comp under my own name with Brentacre.

I am with Adrian Flux as they would insure me with all mods declared... I am somewhat old though and cost me £460 this year...

<tuffty/>

I am with Adrian Flux as they would insure me with all mods declared... I am somewhat old though and cost me £460 this year...

<tuffty/>

:)

Fair point, but I was told after doing an online one. Means the comparison company checks your credit to see whether the company results they show will cover you/give you the monthly payments!!! Cheeky barstewards!!

Also depends on the type of search as to whether it affects your credit rating mate - dont know much of the ins and outs of that though - minefield

Directline quoted me over £1200, Called green light today, they would'nt touch me.

I'm 40, clean licence, been driving 16 years, 6 years NCB!!! But i have my missus as a named driver, she's been driving 2 years and have 3 points.

Last year i was only paying £315 for my A3 1.8T..

I'm With Direct line no mods paying £318 this year with 6 years ncb and £200 excess, strange thing is my focus went up to £380.

Just paid my renewal today infact. With bell and have been for the past few years, renewal was £770, 21yrs old, 4yrs NCB, garaged, nice area, never used lol

He knocked it down randomly, chatting away and he came up with £720, with business class 1 and legal cover.

They were the cheapest for me, everyne else has seemed to go up.

Although he said next year i have my maximum no claims, 5 years? thats not maximum is it?

Although he said next year i have my maximum no claims, 5 years? thats not maximum is it?

Yes it is, 5 years is max, and figure beyond that is just a number, and I believe if you make a claim on your insurance with no NCB protection, it drops to 3yrs NCB ragardless of how many years you have? and No claims protection is also a funny one, when you switch insurance company's, you don't have maximum NCB, it's only valid with the company you are insured with I've been told.

I may not be 100% correct on the above, so if someone knows better, please correct.

direct line seem to pulling it out of the bag for me recently. They now hold most of my insurance policys

Bell, Elephant and Admiral are different trading names of the same Company so you would imagine that quotes obtained from them should be fairly similar. However when elephant turned up £40 odd quid cheaper the Girl who I was on the phone to at Admiral wouldn't match the price, I would have to cancel my policy and start a new one with Elephant... It's the same ****** call centre! But still not a bad price for a whipper snapper such as myself.

try swift cover i got quoted £240 on a comparison site just the other day

Im with greenlight 23 3yrs ncb 1 fault claim in 2007 street parking £790 fully comp, was with brentacre before who were £200 more and couldnt budge the pricc even though the policy is with the same company just a different broker.

When ever you renew your insurance always check Top CashBack - The UK's Most Generous CashBack Site as they have loads of insurance companys that you can get money back on. I thought it was all a bit of a con but had a go and managed to get £75 back off a £360 policy! it took about 3 months but it doesnt cost anything to look for and i came up trumps!