insurance quote... are they nuts, or is that a normal price?

mathew lisett

Reaction score
the car is the a4 b7 2.0 tfsi special edition sline 2wd (im also 38 with 14 yrs no claims )

So just asked for a refresh on the adrian flux quote from the one they gave me last year with my "this is what i might have done" which would have had near 12k worth of stuff done such as full rebuild with upgraded pistons etc.

understandable at that time the quote was about £585.

so now with a planned from stock

upgraded throttle body to 75mm (from an rs4)
ecu remap
air filter
apr engine valve springs
all round diamond brakes and pads aswell as brake hoses

they have literally quoted the same.

am i nuts in thinking thats an insane price. and what other company would you recommend

i'm with adrian flux mate, are you meaning thats a bad price ? i got my renewal price which was around £580, last year i paid £460ish, max no claims of 9 years ,fully comp. cars 140 tdi s line, when i phoned to ask why the renewal was so high i said if they can get to last years price i would be happy, i also told them i had since put some mods on the car which are that it has big brembo's, miltek exhaust, wheels, springs, £450 stereo, ect, ect, my price this year is now £420 ish.

i can't work it out either pal, lol

Well considering i would say that the mods that will be installed are nowhere near the gain in performance from the items last years qiote? I would think these small upgrades would get me a quote around the mid 300 mark. Just find it odd the quote is the exact same as before for less mods and performance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

you are modified now with more power ? dose that not even things up a bit, insurance prices have gone up no doubting that, so if it was the same price without the mods, it don't sound to bad to me, for what you have on it and for what it is in the first place, have you had insurance at £300 ish before the mods went on the car from anyone else

you are modified now with more power ? dose that not even things up a bit, insurance prices have gone up no doubting that, so if it was the same price without the mods, it don't sound to bad to me, for what you have on it and for what it is in the first place, have you had insurance at £300 ish before the mods went on the car from anyone else
To me it just seemed odd that the mods that im planning to have done would likely be about 100+bhp less than the year previous mods. I simply viewed that as an odd price considering lesser parts and performance.

don't think it works like like, i wish it did, i think they aint that clued up when it comes to what mods do what exactly so you'll get banded in the he's got more power category

don't think it works like like, i wish it did, i think they aint that clued up when it comes to what mods do what exactly so you'll get banded in the he's got more power category
I think you hit the nail there. I remember asking if it would help state what i hoped to install last uear, she basically asked if it would surpass a certain bhp and wasnt really interested in the parts

I pay less than £300 a year for my Avant with all the mods declared. One thing they frown upon is the word REMAP.

Try telling them it's a remap for better mileage and not for power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pay less than £300 a year for my Avant with all the mods declared. One thing they frown upon is the word REMAP.

Try telling them it's a remap for better mileage and not for power.

you would think the company that they run for "modified" and "performance" insurance that they wouldnt be afraid of a remap and should know that with other parts being added on, a remap is needed to run smooth

and how did you get £300? you in your 60's or something

Reactions: tony mc
how did you get £300? you in your 60's or something

Hahaha you cheeky CNUT.

No I'm 48.....I used to use Flux but when I went from the old car then the Avant they wanted over £800. I tried Chris Knott and I was gobsmacked at the difference in price.

I even questioned why they were charging me more for a standard 2 litre diesel Audi than when they used to insure my FRS that really modified.

They couldn't answer me. Try Chris Knott or SkyInsurance that Sandra posted above.

Reactions: Sandra
Hahaha you cheeky CNUT.

No I'm 48.....I used to use Flux but when I went from the old car then the Avant they wanted over £800. I tried Chris Knott and I was gobsmacked at the difference in price.

I even questioned why they were charging me more for a standard 2 litre diesel Audi than when they used to insure my FRS that really modified.

They couldn't answer me. Try Chris Knott or SkyInsurance that Sandra posted above.

yep cant insurance with chris knott as they said last year that ANYTHING that has more than 10% performance upgrade they cant insure

ive got in touch with sky insurance and will likely speak with them in a couple of days

Fingers crossed for you pal but I have more than a 10% increase in power.

Fingers crossed for you pal but I have more than a 10% increase in power.

this was their email from last year

"
Unfortunately due to the increase in BHP on this vehicle the underwriters we deal with are not willing to offer a quotation on this occasion.

Good luck in your quest to obtain a quotation.

Best regards

Ian"

lmao, Carl are you 60. ha, ha. that's older than Rob, watch out you might wake up one day with wheels all over the shop, ha, ha.

Reactions: carlcall
Well, my current insurance is £2000 on a stock 3.2 A4 if it's any consolation! :astonished:

To be honest you couldn't pay me to use Adrian Flux, useless company with terrible customer service and that was BEFORE I parted with my hard earned. What on earth would they have been like if I was with them and actually had an issue??

As mentioned above, contact Sky Insurance. I would rather pay more and know that if **** hits the fan then I am well covered and will be looked after compared to saving £50 and having to deal with those idiots at AF ever again.

Reactions: carlcall
In all honesty that's not as much as I've seen people pay for insurance.....I've seen people your age pay over £6500 for insurance on a Mk 1 Focus RS over 8 years ago.

So how much would that relate to now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all honesty that's not as much as I've seen people pay for insurance.....I've seen people your age pay over £6500 for insurance on a Mk 1 Focus RS over 8 years ago.

So how much would that relate to now

It's unbelievable! Thankfully i've been driving since pretty much the first day i could so it's gradually coming down. I imagine it'd be positively CHEAP if i were to lump it with something more "economical". But where's the fun in that!

TBH £2000 on a stock 3.2 A4 is still a lot. I used to pay £1400 on a modified Evo 5 when I was 21 (some 9 years ago now). However it not only has more power than a stock 3.2 (mine was 350bhp vs your 256bhp) it's also more likely to be classed as a higher risk car. Also, I always found elephant / admiral to be cheapest when I was younger.

TBH £2000 on a stock 3.2 A4 is still a lot. I used to pay £1400 on a modified Evo 5 when I was 21 (some 9 years ago now). However it not only has more power than a stock 3.2 (mine was 350bhp vs your 256bhp) it's also more likely to be classed as a higher risk car. Also, I always found elephant / admiral to be cheapest when I was younger.
I've found it massively depends on where you like and type of job, i happen to have the perfect storm of living right in the middle of the city (dropped by > half if i quoted outside of it) and being self-employed aha.

I've found it massively depends on where you like and type of job, i happen to have the perfect storm of living right in the middle of the city (dropped by > half if i quoted outside of it) and being self-employed aha.
i remember way back in 2003, i got a quote for a saubaru wrx sti, 8k, mind you i had only been driving for just under 2 years and my car was a 1.4 astra

I'm currently in the market for insurance on a 17 plate S3. I'm 34, with 10 yrs no claims. I've been driving 17 years and had to laugh when at the bottom of the compare the market (other price comparison sites are available) was this little number.
f78ef3ee524e0bbb071a99ebc55f16d0.jpg

I've had quotes as cheap as £511 - but that's if I add my mum and Dad on...........

I'm currently in the market for insurance on a 17 plate S3. I'm 34, with 10 yrs no claims. I've been driving 17 years and had to laugh when at the bottom of the compare the market (other price comparison sites are available) was this little number.
f78ef3ee524e0bbb071a99ebc55f16d0.jpg

I've had quotes as cheap as £511 - but that's if I add my mum and Dad on...........

With Telematics to boot haha! Oh insurance companies, how we love you :')

Try site sponsor @skyinsurance and tell them you a member on here.
well just did a quote from them and i nearly had a heart attack, around £865 was the quote ..... and she stated it was by markerstudy which when i googled that name im glad i didnt go with it because it seems to be the worst one out there.

so as of right now im rechecking the quote with adrain flux with adjusted things to the car and see if the price is any better.

so just spoke with flux again, this time the quote was far better, the quote of 585/565 according to them was due to the bhp being around 500hp.

however now that its going to be around 270-350 im now paying £400