Insurance question help advice please

den911

Reaction score
Hi, i am looking at changing my A3 Cab 2011 1.6tdi 120k an Its got 8 months Mot left and as only had one fail in its time and that was headlight aim and i am the 2nd owner.
I have had quotes for p/x as low as £2,600 and i know the dealer as to make some money ,however the car as just had oem cam belt and pump new dmf and clutch 4 new injectors ,pads disc,and dop links and track rods car is also on non fix ea189 and as always had shell v power so you can see my dilema with a quote of £2,600 ...So my question is if i kept the car and tried to sell private is there a way after a change insurance to new car that i can keep the old car on the road so i can sell ...Any advice would be appreciated as it would be illegal for anyone to test drive it if i don't have insurance

Hi Den,

So if you've changed your existing insurance to the new vehicle, you can (with some insurers/brokers) add a temporary additional vehicle which could be your old car. You can't usually have it on the policy for long, couple of weeks or so, but that may be sufficient. If your broker won't let you, or your policy doesn't allow it then there are temporary car insurance providers. Just Google "temporary car insurance" and there's a bunch and the price aggregetors (compare the market, gocompare, confused etc) do have a temp car insurance comparison section.

I have just had a quick look and i believe my current insurer the AA will give me a 14 day extension on the old vehicle that would be good if i could sell the car within 14 days ..I have tried a google of temp insurance for 28 days and got a quote nearing the £300 mark ,i can get full insurance for a year as a second car for £80 more ..

Yeah the limit on a temporary MTA (Insurance speak for mid-term-adjustment i.e. temporary change to your policy) is 14 days with most underwriters so if you can sell it within 2 weeks you're laughing.
Yeah temporary insurance is more expensive pro-rata than a normal policy given its more niche. If you can get a full years cover for not much more then it may work out cheaper to do that and then cancel it once the vehicle is sold, you'll get a pro-rata refund minus the admin/adjustment/cancellation fee which is usually around £20-40 depending on the company, but you'd get the rest of your premium back in most cases. Check the fine print on the cancellation policy for the years cover or ask them directly (don't tell them you're specifically going to be using the policy for this purpose however, just ask because you want to clarify the cancellation terms). If you can get most of your money back this way then it would work out the cheapest option I would think, and take the pressure off you in having to sell it very quickly. Just bear in mind you can't use your NCB/NCD on the second policy for the old vehicle, it can only be used on one policy.

Reactions: den911
Hi, i am looking at changing my A3 Cab 2011 1.6tdi 120k an Its got 8 months Mot left and as only had one fail in its time and that was headlight aim and i am the 2nd owner.
I have had quotes for p/x as low as £2,600 and i know the dealer as to make some money ,however the car as just had oem cam belt and pump new dmf and clutch 4 new injectors ,pads disc,and dop links and track rods car is also on non fix ea189 and as always had shell v power so you can see my dilema with a quote of £2,600 ...So my question is if i kept the car and tried to sell private is there a way after a change insurance to new car that i can keep the old car on the road so i can sell ...Any advice would be appreciated as it would be illegal for anyone to test drive it if i don't have insurance

After shelling out for all that work I would have kept it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just had a quick look and i believe my current insurer the AA will give me a 14 day extension on the old vehicle that would be good if i could sell the car within 14 days ..I have tried a google of temp insurance for 28 days and got a quote nearing the £300 mark ,i can get full insurance for a year as a second car for £80 more ..

After shelling out for all that work I would have kept it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping it just drops the value as i am using the money to add to the funds for a new car ..Keeping it increases potential DPF,Turbo,EGR issues as the car is now on 120k and i dont want anymore 1K bills