Insurance... HELP

glasgowdubber

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has come across this before. I'm currently driving a 2.0TDI S-line A3 S-tronic, I've just run a quote on a 66 plate S3 saloon S-tronic and its practically doubled!

Current policy is £646.69, on the S3 its jumping to £1202.39, even more strange is the fact I was looking at an RS3 similar age and it was £200PA less than the S3!?

I am already looking at a substantial jump in payments due to putting in a large deposit last time, and increased fuel bill which I have taken into consideration, but didn't expect this (ps. I'm 34 in December).

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Your age & postcode will affect it for a start, I’d expect a fair jump from a TDI to an S3.

Reactions: glasgowdubber
With all the s3 thefts there are a lot of insurance companies that have just hiked prices to avoid insuring them. I had a Tiguan r line with Aviva which was £270 with business mileage. When looking at replacements the golf r was £277, m140 £410 and the s3 £800.

Admiral who are usually cheap from me were £700 ish (although much cheaper for non black editions )

In the end though compare the market there were a few companies more reasonable. LV were £439 and there were a few other companies similar.

Audi insurance who did my 5 days free on collection were £800ish

It’s a postcode lottery I’m afraid, only thing I’d recommend is multicar policies if possible and the Aviva Drive app (200 miles of careful driving saved me 20+%).

Strangely my 17 plate S3 was cheaper to insure than my old 1.4 A3 at £650 ish when I was 21/22. I’ll find out what the renewal is in a few weeks, hoping it hasn’t gone up much now I’m 23

Reactions: MaxBoostMRC and glasgowdubber
Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and glasgowdubber
It’s all based on age, postcode and stats for the car.
There’s a lot less rs3 around so statistically less likely to be stolen and less likely to be in an accident that’s why it’s cheaper.
I came from a 272 A6 to s3 and it was cheaper to insure the s3 for me than the A6. Only a little bit cheaper though.

Reactions: V6_Man
Your age & postcode will affect it for a start, I’d expect a fair jump from a TDI to an S3.
I moved from a 2L TDI A3 into a S3 two years ago, my insurance went up by just over 60 notes on the next renewal. Got esure the company I was with then to give me the figures before I bought it - was pleasantly surprised and their prediction was around the renewal figure.

This is making absolutely no sense, postcode has absolutely nothing to do with it. In comparison, I've just priced a £44,000 Porsche Cayman S, its came back at £708.00 so how can an S3 be £1202.00, and my current car £646.

I even used a comparison site and all 3 quotes came back the cheapest with my current provider using the same details. Why is the S3 so expensive in particular?

Postcode has a lot to do with it.
In a certain postcode if the s3 has been statistically stolen more times than a cayman then it will add a big factor to insure then your age, where you park it etc will also come into the calculation.
It’s just a big statistical model.
I’ve worked in financial services and the easiest way it was explained to me years ago was think of it this way;
Base insurance let’s say £100 for s3 that’s the starting point, postcode where it’s kept adds 40%, on street parking adds 20%, age adds 200% and there’s a whole load more factors to add on and your £100 quickly turns into £1200.
I can remember when I was a student my premium almost tripled cause I was in city centre instead of suburbs. Everything else was the same other than postcode.
Other thing when I was looking for insurance a few months ago, some of the brokers basically said if you have an s3 in a Manchester postcode we will struggle to be competitive.

My insurance renewal was £780 which was double last years price , Glasgow Southside. Made me think my insurance company didn't want to insure me as they wouldn't budge on price. Never understood Insurance company pricing.

Ended up going with the Halifax for slightly less than last year.

A Porsche Cayman is a crap get away car so the theft risk is much less. :)

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has come across this before. I'm currently driving a 2.0TDI S-line A3 S-tronic, I've just run a quote on a 66 plate S3 saloon S-tronic and its practically doubled!

Current policy is £646.69, on the S3 its jumping to £1202.39, even more strange is the fact I was looking at an RS3 similar age and it was £200PA less than the S3!?

I am already looking at a substantial jump in payments due to putting in a large deposit last time, and increased fuel bill which I have taken into consideration, but didn't expect this (ps. I'm 34 in December).

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Try this place mate.....

http://www.chrisknott.co.uk/car_insurance.html

If you search Chris Nott, he's on these forums and does a discount to members. Quoted my wife £368 fully comp for our A3 2.0 TDI s-line.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Try this place mate.....

http://www.chrisknott.co.uk/car_insurance.html

If you search Chris Nott, he's on these forums and does a discount to members. Quoted my wife £368 fully comp for our A3 2.0 TDI s-line.

That’s who I’m using. Very good to deal with and mine was insured with LV not underwritten by some Mickey Mouse underwriters which might cause problems when you need to make a claim.
Quidco comparison came back with some very good quotes but questionable underwriters.

Reactions: Scotty75
From the phone conversation alone they do seem to be "top drawer". Very good / helpful.

It’s a postcode lottery I’m afraid, only thing I’d recommend is multicar policies if possible and the Aviva Drive app (200 miles of careful driving saved me 20+%).

Strangely my 17 plate S3 was cheaper to insure than my old 1.4 A3 at £650 ish when I was 21/22. I’ll find out what the renewal is in a few weeks, hoping it hasn’t gone up much now I’m 23
lol I did that Aviva drive app when I had the S3, see here lol https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/aviva-dont-bother.305816/ :D

Reactions: Bells
Postcode deffo has something to do with it.

My friend has done quotes with the same info before, just different postcode. And my Reading postcode came out almost half the price of his Barnsley postcode.

Reactions: Bells
Just put your occupation as "dog groomer" :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just put your occupation as "dog groomer" :)
lol my then girlfriend now wife used to be a part time student and part time model when we first moved in together, we put that on the house insurance under her occupation part and it was either thousands per year or they just wouldn't insure us! So we just used the student part :p

Reactions: Invicta
lol my then girlfriend now wife used to be a part time student and part time model when we first moved in together, we put that on the house insurance under her occupation part and it was either thousands per year or they just wouldn't insure us! So we just used the student part :p
gotta what you gotta do my friend! :D

Try the confused.com comparison site.

I’ve just reinsured the S7 and got a very good deal, that the Forum sponsors and comparethemarket could not beat :rockwoot:

Insurance is a wierd one im getting quoted in excess of £1500 for a 330d f30 whereas a golf R is £750 at 24. How does that work out????

Insurance is a wierd one im getting quoted in excess of £1500 for a 330d f30 whereas a golf R is £750 at 24. How does that work out????
It's silly to compare between people due to the various factors, on a car to car basis again it all is derived by the car risk, i.e. how many are stolen, crashed etc. Age and the other factors then trickle into this too.

Parts and fixing costs! I asked the same when I moved from the S3 to the A5 coupe and expected the price to drop, I said how can a car with 300 bhp be the same to insure as a car with 190 bhp? The answer was "It's not all about the power, it also takes into account repair costs amongst other things", I thought that was just an excuse! So with that in mind I looked at a headlight for my S3 £200 each, for the A5 I was getting £1,000 each!!!

All I can suggest is spend some time shopping around , use all the comparison sites and look at cashback available on Topcashback . I've insured for years with Aviva , always cheapest on my previous A5 but my recently purchased S3 sportback went up to £665 compared to under £ 300 for the A5 . Shopping around I got the same cover from LV for £244 and a further £21 back from Topcashback. One thing that did make a difference is the adaptive cruise with emergency braking that's fitted to mine , LV give discount for that .

Reactions: S32B
I was with Aviva for my TTS and the current TT and they gave the best price by far, renewal came in and it had increased significantly and they wouldn't budge on price. Best price came back via confused.com search (as that took into account nbc I have on another car). Good luck.

In a certain postcode if the s3 has been statistically stolen more times than a cayman then it will add a big factor to insure then your age, where you park it etc will also come into the calculation.
I’ve worked in financial services and the easiest way it was explained to me years ago was think of it this way;
Base insurance let’s say £100 for s3 that’s the starting point, postcode where it’s kept adds 40%, on street parking adds 20%, age adds 200% and there’s a whole load more factors to add on and your £100 quickly turns into £1200.
I can remember when I was a student my premium almost tripled cause I was in city centre instead of suburbs. Everything else was the same other than postcode.
Other thing when I was looking for insurance a few months ago, some of the brokers basically said if you have an s3 in a Manchester postcode we will struggle to be competitive.
This is nonsense.

Having your car on the street as opposed to on a driveway REDUCES your insurance, not increases it. I've just had a £50 decrease in my insurance by opting to put my car on the road now. Harder for thieves to identify which house to rob, which is why it decreases it.

This is nonsense.

Having your car on the street as opposed to on a driveway REDUCES your insurance, not increases it. I've just had a £50 decrease in my insurance by opting to put my car on the road now. Harder for thieves to identify which house to rob, which is why it decreases it.

The factors could be positive or negative.
I bet if you park in a street where there’s a lot of vandalism and other crimes your premium will go up if left on the street as less chance if it stolen but higher chance of it being damaged. There’s thousands of factors that determine your premium. These are only a few.

We use Chris Knott and the S3 saloon is £367 ( a few weeks back. ) No commuting, first £300.
Good to deal with.
Oh.... we are older.....( my licence is over 50 years old !!! wife's only45 years) garaged East Berks area.

Postcode seems to be very important.
Daughter moved in a North Wales village - from parked on street to another address with driveway parking (that you can walk to in ten minutes) premium went up £80. When queried they told her the new place had a Rhyl postcode ( it does)………...

Car insurance - don't even attempt to rationalise the premiums they quote......just pick the cheapest that suits you.
I am £400 for a 51 year old with an S3, squeaky clean driving record in second lowest postcode area and £100 total excess.

Reactions: 4K and Jassyo06
Just renewed on the 7. Confused.com were way better than any of the other sites, including other comparison sites involving meerkats :racer:

Reactions: Jassyo06
The factors could be positive or negative.
I bet if you park in a street where there’s a lot of vandalism and other crimes your premium will go up if left on the street as less chance if it stolen but higher chance of it being damaged. There’s thousands of factors that determine your premium. These are only a few.
Higher crime stats such as vandalism in a certain postcode could increase it, but your claim that "on street parking adds 20%" is absolute rubbish. Don't spread such misinformation.

Car insurance - don't even attempt to rationalise the premiums they quote......just pick the cheapest that suits you.
I am £400 for a 51 year old with an S3, squeaky clean driving record in second lowest postcode area and £100 total excess.
That makes me feel better about my quote this year of £450 considering I'm a few decades younger. Super stealable cars I'm afraid, that's why they're so high.

Higher crime stats such as vandalism in a certain postcode could increase it, but your claim that "on street parking adds 20%" is absolute rubbish. Don't spread such misinformation.
Where did he say 20%? What he said was completely factual. These posts comparing premiums, how to get "cheap" insurance etc is pointless. There's so many variables it makes it silly and not useful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phutters
Where did he say 20%? What he said was completely factual. These posts comparing premiums, how to get "cheap" insurance etc is pointless. There's so many variables it makes it silly and not useful.

Right above my previous post. Completely factual? I've already proven it's not. On street parking REDUCED my insurance, your point is moot. What may apply to one person does not apply to all. Unilaterally saying parking your car on road increases premiums by 20% is factually INCORRECT.

Except he clearly stated it as an example. Not fact, insurance isn't a straight formula. On street parking *COULD* increase one person's premium, and decrease another. That's fact. The fact is insurance varies massively from person to person. Let's not go around insulting other members of the forum now, when everyone is just here to help
Right above my previous post. Completely factual? I've already proven it's not. On street parking REDUCED my insurance, your point is moot. What may apply to one person does not apply to all. Unilaterally saying parking your car on road increases premiums by 20% is factually INCORRECT.

Reactions: S32B and AlS3BE
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Except he clearly stated it as an example. Not fact, insurance isn't a straight formula. On street parking *COULD* increase one person's premium, and decrease another. That's fact. The fact is insurance varies massively from person to person. Let's not go around insulting other members of the forum now, when everyone is just here to help

Except he never clearly stated it as an example. I'm fully aware it COULD increase one's premium, yet in most people's cases, it does not, so stating that it would add 20% is incorrect, hence why it is misinformation.

Stating a fact is not being insulting. You're frankly being antagonistic and patronising.. Let it be.

It was an example to loosely explain how premiums are calculated with MADE UP numbers.
Wasn’t meant to read literally. If you picking up on the 20% street parking how come you didnt pick up postcode adds 40%? It’s pretty clear every postcode would be different like any other factor in the calculations.
Thought it was quite clear in the post and think you were the only one who took it literally.
I have no time to pick an argument on this or any other forum. The SAMPLE was given as informative information to help people understand. Everyone read it as such except from you.
Personally I don’t give a sh1t what you think is nonsense. Like 99% of the internet it’s full of nonsense. Go annoy someone else

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14