1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for first time driver, A3 2013/2018

Kondax May 12, 2018

1. Kondax

Kondax Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 Black Edition

Hello,

I'm looking to see if anybody here or people they know have experience with first time driver insurance, specifically for an A3.

I'd like to either purchase or lease an A3. If I purchase it will most likely be a 2013 SE 2.0L Diesel, either manual or automatic. If I lease then I will likely get a 2018 S-Line Tech Pack 1.0L Petrol, most likely automatic.

I've looked at quite a few providers and I'm seeing that the Co-operative Young Driver Insurance is most likely the cheapest, although the insurance rates provided have fluctuated quite a bit.

I know the leased option will be much more expensive, and both cars will likely need a telemetry box. The cheapest I could roughly find was £1.4k for the 2013 model, up to 10,000 miles. I found £1.7k for the 2018 model, up to 10,000 miles - that did not take into account the technology pack.

If anybody has any recommendations it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 S tronic

That would be a rather nice car for at 1st time driver, the cost doesn't sound crazy either really. I'm looking at insuring my S3 at the moment (6 years driving / 5 year NCB) and its coming in around £1300 - 2000 for new quotes, thats with multicar and parents on policy too. Luckily the Admiral renewal price is around £800....

My 1st car was a 2005 Polo I think I paid around £1k for insurance but can't remember. It was with Bell though (part of Admiral), and I had a black box.

I heard so many people say how terrible they were and all the rest of it. At least with mine, I had no curfew, if I went 100mph my insurance would be cancelled, I could login to the website every week and see how "good" my driving was, but I never found it too accurate anyway so basically just ignored it. After one year with it I got rid of it. I wouldn't have one now of course but for the 1st year it saved me alot of money. I'm not sure if they have changed much, but I wouldn't be put off a policy that requires you to have one.

4. Kondax

Yeah, I think the cost sounds okay. Would be great if I'm able to go through with this.

Few friends of mine have had got blackboxes - I honestly didn't know they dated back to about six years ago. For some reason I was under the assumption this was "new technology" - probably just because I've never researched insurance before so hadn't ever heard about them.

I wouldn't mind going with them, they sound pretty much the same to what you had. No curfew, only for 12 months and you can see data "live". Driving after 10pm can increase rates but chances are I wouldn't be going out many times after 10pm so I don't believe it'd be anything to worry about.

When looking over insurance the cheapest options without black boxes were about £8-9k.. Think it's best if I do end up going with a provider that has blackboxes haha.

I've opened some enquiries with different insurers and even a couple from here. Hopefully I should hear back in the next few days as I'd like to get this relatively soon.

Cheers.

5. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 S tronic

£8-9k! OMG lol. Yeah I think when I got mine it was actually quite "new" technology but I couldn't see it "live" it was just weekly when the site updated and it would rate me, like 5 different ratings. I suppose marketing people are still pushing it, but if you can have it for a year and get the price down, then great... Although if your quotes without are 8/9... eek :p

I don't quite understand the whole going out after 10PM thing though, 10pm> means less cars on the road, so less things to crash into right, but darker, could be more tired etc....... was trying to remember for my mate if I read that unsocial hours means quotes are cheaper or not, he is Cabin Crew so will have to leave home at 4AM frequently but will not be driving during rush hour.

6. Kondax

Yeah, I believe now each driving component is rated on a scale of 100, so hopefully a bit more accurate. Those quotes at nearly £10k are crazy, especially an Admiral quote without any black box for £6k..

I agree with you, I completely would have thought 10pm would be better - most likely light and being tired though as you said. Due to my schedule and working from home with others around the world I tend to wake up and sleep later on than most, which would have been perfect. Like I said though I don't really tend to drive after 10pm so thankfully shouldn't be an issue.

Prime time has an effect on the rates though. I haven't looked into prime time changes specifically but as far as I'm aware you probably won't have the insurance go up but rather have it less likely to go down if you're mostly out during peak times.

7. RS4B5

RS4B5 5 pots

Around here 18 year old minimum 4k

8. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Well-Known Member

https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/705716/young-car-drivers-factsheet.pdf

“However, there is significant daily and hourly variation with young drivers substantially over-represented in the late evening and early morning hours, with many hours having proportions of 40 per cent and higher.”

9. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Well-Known Member

I was going to ask about insurance in your other thread OP, but (rather predictably) I would strongly recommend a decent 2013 used car over a brand new lease.

When you dig down into the economics of it, it’s a massive difference in terms of cost of ownership.

10. Kondax

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. The main factor leading me to looking into leasing was the price for a good used A3. Unless I'm spending about £10,000 cash or more on a 2013 model the mileage is either in (or nearly in) the six digits. With depreciation in mind the car in a few years also wouldn't be as appealing to own in my opinion.

I'm also currently looking at the new a-class, it's mostly the technology that's driving me towards it. I'm a technology freak so if I did lease a new A3 it wouldn't be without a technology pack - which costs roughly the same (or more in most scenarios) than the new a-class.

11. freddie1

freddie1 Freddie

I'm 18, currently running my 08 A3 1.4 TFSI (125hp), although its older, its a fully kitted out S-Line spec. Fully comp with the parents as named drivers i'm at £1800 a year with Tesco (limited to 7000 miles). Comes with a black box of course :/ (I was 17 and just passed my test when I took out that policy). Now, after having a quick look, with a years no claims it should go down to around £1200 ish on my next renewal. I'm not sure about newer A3's. But your co-op quote sounds quite reasonable.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Kondax

That doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully I can go through with the co-op quote.

Cheers.