Insurance cooling off period...

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
I'm insured with Elephant and my policy is up for renewal in 2 weeks. I'm planning on selling my car, but it could take more than the 2 weeks I've got left on my current policy to find a buyer.

Only just realised that there is a 2 week cooling off period to cancel new policies, meaning you only get charged a £22 admin fee if you do cancel within the 2 weeks of the policy start date.

So by my calculations I've got 4 weeks (2 weeks left on my current policy + 2 weeks cooling off period on new policy) to sell my car and only pay £22 to be insured for that time.

Question....

Am I missing something?? Almost sounds too good to be true.

I know that if there is a claim during the cooling off period then the entire year's premium is payable. But if there is no claim then its only going to cost me £22??

Or you find it cheaper elsewhere and go for a monthly policy.

Your situation is nearly, weirdly, the same as mine. I am with Elephant, my policy renews on the 9 April, and I will be selling my car within the next month.

Spooky!

So I looked online, and can get it cheaper with LV.

Still haven't decided yet.

Are you both selling up and not replacing? That is weird!

Good luck with the sale both of you. And I offer no advice :)

Yeah, I am getting a company car as I am doing far too many miles and ruining my lovely car.

Or you find it cheaper elsewhere and go for a monthly policy.

Your situation is nearly, weirdly, the same as mine. I am with Elephant, my policy renews on the 9 April, and I will be selling my car within the next month.

Spooky!

So I looked online, and can get it cheaper with LV.

Still haven't decided yet.

Mine expires on the 12th. Just checked out LV and they're almost £250 more expensive for me. Elephant/Admiral always seem to beat everyone else by at a hundred quid or so for me.

Are you both selling up and not replacing? That is weird!

Good luck with the sale both of you. And I offer no advice :)

I've now decided to buy another car ASAP, but selling mine privately instead of part ex'ing could end up giving me another £2k towards the next car.

Haha Jojo. The good lady wife was having a heart to heart (moan) at me when I read your post and I cracked up laughing. It didn't go down well with her.

Ads, what you getting/ wanting?

What car have you got again? You're from the b6 forum aren't you? And what car you getting?

I have a 2008 A4 Cab 1.8T Sport. Auto. Great drive.

I won't know what car I am getting as it is all a rush so I will get a pool car, which could be any old heap of ****.