Insurance Claim, Please Help!

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Driving down the road and the passenger of a parked car opens there door without looking ripping my wing mirror clean off also taking some paint from the side of my car leaving them with a tiny door dent, got out the car and started going mental at them (probably not a great move), driver said this was my fault and he's going through insurance... what should I do?

Not usually prejudice but the car contained people linked with insurance scam's which is worrying as they may claim a car full of witnesses with some made up story and fake injury's, pretty sure the driver's already gave me a false name. Never had anything like this happen before and don't know where to start, keeping no claims etc would be preferable.

Can't really help you out, but in these types of scenarios, I'd be taking pictures of the damage, where everything is parked and the guy(s) in the other car. If they have nothing to hide, they shouldn't mind posing for a pic.

Regarding the insurance scenario, maybe you want to contact your insurance first? Do you think it's yours or their fault? You got their reg plate right? Surely it's their fault for opening a door into a moving vehicle?!

Reactions: DieselJake
It is your fault.

You must leave enough room when passing parked cars incase someone opens a door and gets out.

as above
leave enough space when overtakeing parked cars

That's ridiculous, some roads aren't wide enough for 4 cars width with two doors open ( if that makes sense as its a possible situation)

So are drivers supposed to wait until there isn't a car in the other lane to pass incase someone opens a door?

If you park at the road side you should wait until it's clear before getting out

Can't really help you out, but in these types of scenarios, I'd be taking pictures of the damage, where everything is parked and the guy(s) in the other car. If they have nothing to hide, they shouldn't mind posing for a pic.

Regarding the insurance scenario, maybe you want to contact your insurance first? Do you think it's yours or their fault? You got their reg plate right? Surely it's their fault for opening a door into a moving vehicle?!
Cheers, got pictures of both cars as proof. Oops should of mentioned that haha sorry.

Yeah got there all the details far as I know and like you say seemed to be there fault.

It is your fault.

You must leave enough room when passing parked cars incase someone opens a door and gets out.
as above
leave enough space when overtakeing parked cars
Left enough space :shrug: kid opened the door.

That's ridiculous, some roads aren't wide enough for 4 cars width with two doors open ( if that makes sense as its a possible situation)

So are drivers supposed to wait until there isn't a car in the other lane to pass incase someone opens a door?

If you park at the road side you should wait until it's clear before getting out
^^^ This is exactly it man, no chance of me passing, your comment sums it up :icon_thumright:

UPDATE: Just to kill all none believers called insurance, straight away ruled in my favour, courtesy car and repair will be sorted when they ring back (unless my car is deemed uneconomical to repair... which they best not lie about because it blatantly is), yay no excess or no claims lost. Not sure why I even doubted the outcome, just get worried with this insurance malarkey.

UPDATE: Just to kill all none believers called insurance, straight away ruled in my favour, courtesy car and repair will be sorted when they ring back (unless my car is deemed uneconomical to repair... which they best not lie about because it blatantly is), yay no excess or no claims lost. Not sure why I even doubted the outcome, just get worried with this insurance malarkey.

Sounds good, let us know the outcome once it's all done, you know how it can be funny sometimes when making a claim.

so 1st phone call they said it was a non fault ?
what if they 3rd party claims it wasnt there fault ?
good insurance company to determin fault without contacting 3rd party

Yeah as I said people in the other car seemed dodgy as. Half the morning insurance says no excess, no problem, nothing to do with me and not my fault so no cost... then after 3pm they ring saying pay the excess and it'll be returned provided it matches with there side of the story :banghead: this is the problem can see some ridiculous story being created, will keep this updated but can see this going tits up with these scammers. Hate insurance, cowboy justice if it doesn't work in my favour.

I reckon it will go 5050....your lucky as ive seen a Nissan Qashqai where the whole door just bounced open and crippled itself along with the wing. Was Nasty.

I would have contacted the police and say the drivers are drunk just to get them here or else they wont even bother.

Hate that 50:50 crap, goes to show how much of a scam insurance is when they want both parties to pay and loose no claims without determining who's at fault. Will be kicking a fuss if anything like this goes down, may sort an accident management company or something.

It is your fault.

don't agree, you should be checking there's nothing oncoming etc before opening a door.

Mine

IMG_0989.jpg

vs his

IMG_0981.jpg

Hard to picture the dents the mirror caused on my bodywork, especially seeing as the car's black. In a weird way the car looks kind of cool without a mirror haha, not that it's by choice.

I would say its the other drivers fault, his car, his passengers, his responsibility.

Be good to hear a view off the sponsors, none committal of course, just a view.

Oh, and fit a dashcam, would have proved what happened and your speed / road position.

cheers, yeah would be good getting a wider perspective, always thought of fitting a dashcam just never got round to it.

Just to update and renew this ancient thread I've just been on the phone (100,000th time) and the company asked if I would like to claim against the other person... idiots, well that is why I've been calling all the time, they're trying to prolong this so when I go to renew (very shortly) I have to be insured with them as if I tell other companies I have a pending claim they won't want me. Car's been fixed for ages now out my own pocket, they say "we'll have to check with the other company as they may be claiming against you, the claim was made on the 27th of November so we haven't received a response yet"... no that's when I last called, argh. Insurance sucks, also had my windscreen replaced since as a stone flew up and smashed it on the motorway which cost more than my windscreen excess yet they haven't reimbursed the difference despite calls and an email with the bill scanned :banghead:.

What a joke mate, they should be dealing with this pronto, name and shame time methinks, who the heck are you insured with?

Cheers, as you say would've thought they'd of pulled there finger out by now. It's with Admiral, they appear to be working against me rather than with which defeats the point of insurance.

I don't even bother to claim, you call the insurance and they do record a claim to your name, then they do get your excess + you higher risk and they will screw you anyway. When i make my 1st mill i will insure myself !

Reactions: jojo and DieselJake
Wish I didn't now :3sadwalk: only claimed because this bloke threatened to claim against me so figured it would be best having the reality spoken before he made up a story and took my no claims. Next time I won't claim because as you say the chance of seeming a higher risk and all the hassle is absolutely ridiculous, seems the other guy also saw the reality and didn't claim (which is what I should of done). Let me know when this million comes and I'll sign up or will return the favour if mine comes first :happy:.

Cheers, as you say would've thought they'd of pulled there finger out by now. It's with Admiral, they appear to be working against me rather than with which defeats the point of insurance.

I find shocking that this is the service you're getting from a big insurance company like Admiral! I've not had to make a claim myself personally, but others have claimed on their policy after hitting my car. Was a swift process to be fair, with courtesy car and all, so I maybe one of the lucky ones.

It may be a case of the third party is also insured with Admiral or one of their subsidiaries. So 50\50 means they pay out nothing and get to raise both yours & his premiums next year ...win\win for them. :(

It may be a case of the third party is also insured with Admiral or one of their subsidiaries. So 50\50 means they pay out nothing and get to raise both yours & his premiums next year ...win\win for them. :(
There's about 5 major insurance lenders in Uk, chances that they both are with the same insurance are rather high ! Insurance is the biggest con over here, they have a licence to print money legally ! As i said, i don't claim and i always fix my own cars, you get shafted anyway...

Admiral called back first words being "so you wanted to cancel that claim" to which I obviously asked what's happening then they explain the other people are now claiming back against me (surprise, surprise)... so they basically wanted me to make their life easy by admitting full liability and getting slaughtered, thanks Admiral. They also said the claim will have to stay open either way because they're claiming which is convenient for Admiral with renewal just around the corner and me being pushed further and further into the corner with what seems like a definite loss of no claims and no option to change insurance company due to this claim which has now been pending for five months.

Having worked in insurance my advice would be to raise a complaint with the ombudsman now. This was originally raised in July and to date hasn't been rectified for what should be deemed as a fairly minor incident. Write to them first of all stating your concerns and give them the opportunity to rectify. Also state in the letter that the ombudsman will be contacted if not dealt with within the timescale given. This costs the insurance company £500 to contest regardless who is at fault. You will find once this is mentioned the claims/complaints process will speed up. Hope this helps

Iain

Reactions: Oranoco and sidibear
Cheers Iain that sounds like a great idea, will definitely make contact with the ombudsman. Totally forgot about the opportunity but was thinking of doing something similar months ago, didn't realise the insurance company have to pay £500 to contest though haha as you say they will start resolving this situation if that's on the doorstep. Cheers to everyone else for support and input so far too, it's been very helpful and has made more sense of this.

Other guy's claimed £900 for his door haha did say they were dodgy as, even the dealer would surely sort that minor dink cheaper. Entire thing's fu*ked. Had the renewal for January come through stating I have 0 years no claims and insurance keeps saying they're just waiting for the other company to respond etc (even though they obviously have responded), seems like my insurance are the ones prolonging this to ruin me as the renewals real soon now.

Sorry to hear of your grief, was wondering if it was Admiral, they really are a total shower of ****! Call them and request you speak to a supervisor, advise if they don't get back to you PDQ with something you will be filing an official complaint against them with the insurance ombudsman.

Was in same position a few year back when a bus took my full side , bearing in mind car was parked and keys in hand , driver admitted at scene his fault , ended up in court having to take 30% percent of liability , leaving as much room as a door means nothing , unless your outside the car mate