Insurance broker policy cancellation costs

Alistair D

Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car.
Solutions
Reaction score
It's that time of year again, hunting for the best Car Insurance Policy. I went through a comparison web site and chose One Call Insurance, which offered me a policy from Axa, after doing the deal I changed my mind on the same day and phoned One Call to cancel the policy they told me there was a £49.99 cancellation fee, which is for time and costs incurred in setting up the policy. The cancellation fee was never mentioned over the phone but was included in their T&Cs.
Included in the paperwork sent from One Call was Axa's Motor Insurance Product Information Document, which states that a FULL refund would be given within the 1st 14 days, cooling off period, if I cancelled the policy.
I have since been back in contact with One Call, and they say that the full refund would only be paid if I had been mis-sold the policy, which I had not.
I will be writing to Axa to try and recoup the £49.99 as I feel that One Call being an agent for Axa should be honouring Axa's policy.
Has anyone had any similar experience or advice for me going forward?

I think your contract is with One call, they are Axa's agent and they have organised & set up your policy & charge a fee albeit hidden so it would appear, i may however be talking ******, i do most of the time.

I know i'll be chancing my luck with Axa, but i'm in the mood for an argument, there is such a thing of a gesture of good will. We're talking £49.99 for 7hrs (cover was not due to start 'til 1st of June.)