Insurance Advice Needed

Which makes even more unlikely to move on it’s own without anything in it but a high storm category anything can happen but that doesn’t make the neighbour necessarily negligent

It really is just bad luck sometimes

I’ve been doing this for over 30 years and it’s horrible having to tell clients when things like this happen but like you say life can be a bitch sometimes and this is why you make sure you have your own insurance in place to
cover you

One of the most annoying things to me now with this is my neighbour is not going to be affected by this whereas I will be £300 out of pocket for my excess, plus the increase in my insurance premiums for the five years that you have to notify insurers I have had a claim, and it will affect my wife’s premiums and my dads as I am a named driver on their cars.

And it’s not as if I could do anything about it, I was in bed when it happened, yet I am now statistically more likely to have another accident??? Rubbish! Perhaps I am more likely as more of my neighbours stuff could fly over the fence.

I am super frustrated by insurance.

Hi all, if anyone has any knowledge of insurance I could do with some advice.

At weekend during storm Erik my neighbours 8’x6’ metal garden store blew over the fence from their garden into our drive, during which it whacked my front wing which is now goosed.

Neighbour initially said they’d pay for the repair but having received the two quotes I have obtained, the lowest of which was £700 they have changed their tune and want to claim on their house insurance. So I’ll have to make the claim on my car insurance.

I’m in a rage again now as I expect that’s going to push my premiums up going forward. In 22 years of driving I’ve never had a claim so I’m not sure what to do for the best now. If I claim will it affect me going forward? I have protected no claims but I’ve read a non fault claim puts your insurance up by 30-50%. I don’t want to phone my insurance to ask them as they will then know about the issue so it’ll be on file.

Cheers
Hi,
Whilst you are correct that some insurers do load for a non fault claim normally the loading wouldn't normally be anywhere near 30-50% in my experience with our insurers.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
Whilst you are correct that some insurers do load for a non fault claim normally the loading wouldn't normally be anywhere near 30-50% in my experience with our insurers.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks Dan, out of interest what is your take on this. Am I better off just paying for the repair myself do you think? Or is it probable that if I did claim they would be able to recover so I’d get my excess back. Also, how would it be viewed either way. If the neighbours insurance did pa out would it be a non fault claim and if they didn’t pay out would that then be a fault claim on my behalf?

I would love to have someone who knows about insurance who can advise me. There is a gap in the market there I reckon.
Cheers

One of the most annoying things to me now with this is my neighbour is not going to be affected by this whereas I will be £300 out of pocket for my excess, plus the increase in my insurance premiums for the five years that you have to notify insurers I have had a claim, and it will affect my wife’s premiums and my dads as I am a named driver on their cars.

And it’s not as if I could do anything about it, I was in bed when it happened, yet I am now statistically more likely to have another accident??? Rubbish! Perhaps I am more likely as more of my neighbours stuff could fly over the fence.

I am super frustrated by insurance.

I’m totally with you on this and don’t agree with the you’re more likely to have another incident - but as you said you were in bed and couldn’t do anything about it but neither could your neighbour remember

Thanks Dan, out of interest what is your take on this. Am I better off just paying for the repair myself do you think? Or is it probable that if I did claim they would be able to recover so I’d get my excess back. Also, how would it be viewed either way. If the neighbours insurance did pa out would it be a non fault claim and if they didn’t pay out would that then be a fault claim on my behalf?

I would love to have someone who knows about insurance who can advise me. There is a gap in the market there I reckon.
Cheers

Well thanks S3GCN I do know about insurance as having been doing the job 30+ years and have been trying to advise you a few times today but unfortunately because it’s not what you want to hear you’ll ignore my advice then but I’ll try again

If they make a recovery it’s non fault but still disclosable how they deal with this every insurer is different - no recovery then considered a fault claim - remember it’s a no claim bonus not a no blame bonus

As I said before meet the assessor and see what they have to say

See what happens if you ask your insurance company to contact theirs. If you get nowhere with that approach, I’d perhaps pay for it myself, especially if you think that your rates will be jacked up as high as you say they might be.
If that is the case your insurance company sucks big time.
How about having the neighbor perhaps split the cost of repairs? Let them know that it might be an easier way than having to file a claim with his insurance company and as a result perhaps having his homeowners insurance rates go up as a result of the claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well thanks S3GCN I do know about insurance as having been doing the job 30+ years and have been trying to advise you a few times today but unfortunately because it’s not what you want to hear you’ll ignore my advice then but I’ll try again

If they make a recovery it’s non fault but still disclosable how they deal with this every insurer is different - no recovery then considered a fault claim - remember it’s a no claim bonus not a no blame bonus

As I said before meet the assessor and see what they have to say

Sorry, I wasn’t meaning to disrespect you, I’m just trying to work out for the best what to do. I am upset about the situation. I appreciate your point, it just irks me that supposedly my neighbour is apparently at no fault and will not have any hassle or lose out in any way, yet I am going to get stung when to my mind it was his property that caused the damage to mine so why should I suffer, it just doesn’t seem fair.

All I am trying to do is work out if I am better just paying up or going through my insurance. If I go through my insurance and they don’t recover in the long run I think I’ll end up being worse off than if I just pay for the work.

Sorry, I wasn’t meaning to disrespect you, I’m just trying to work out for the best what to do. I am upset about the situation. I appreciate your point, it just irks me that supposedly my neighbour is apparently at no fault and will not have any hassle or lose out in any way, yet I am going to get stung when to my mind it was his property that caused the damage to mine so why should I suffer, it just doesn’t seem fair.

All I am trying to do is work out if I am better just paying up or going through my insurance. If I go through my insurance and they don’t recover in the long run I think I’ll end up being worse off than if I just pay for the work.

No problem and I do appreciate that your upset and frustrated about it.

I would let the assessor come round because it's possible that your neighbour is at fault and therefore they will pay - Was this shed supposed to be anchored down to a concrete basis - These are the type of things they will ask

If not and with a £300 excess it may be better for you to pay the costs although I wouldn't expect your insurance to increase by 30%-50% - As others have said maybe split the difference with your neighbour if they are amicable

No problem and I do appreciate that your upset and frustrated about it.

I would let the assessor come round because it's possible that your neighbour is at fault and therefore they will pay - Was this shed supposed to be anchored down to a concrete basis - These are the type of things they will ask

If not and with a £300 excess it may be better for you to pay the costs although I wouldn't expect your insurance to increase by 30%-50% - As others have said maybe split the difference with your neighbour if they are amicable

My concern with getting the assessor round is that there will then be a record of the issue and my insurance premiums could, and by the sounds of things probably will, be affected anyway. At least if I just pay there shouldn’t be that risk. I am worried that by starting to look into it I will then suffer even if I don’t claim. That is my reluctance to even question the issue with my insurance company.

I’m not sure about whether it had a base or not to be honest, I haven’t been in my neighbours garden and without using a ladder I would not be able to see the bottom from my property. Supposedly there were some bikes in there and some fishing rods and stuff. Supposedly a couple of the rods have gone but they were not expensive, the rest of the stuff was still there.

I’ve just had a look at sheds on the internet and it was this type of thing - though probably not this exact one.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6685553

It doesn’t come with a base so whether it actually had one or not I don’t know.

When you say about getting the assessor round is that from my neighbours insurance or mine? My neighbour claims that when they spoke to their house insurer they were not interested in looking at my car, they were told I’d need to sort my car through my car insurance.

Thanks for all your advice!

My concern with getting the assessor round is that there will then be a record of the issue and my insurance premiums could, and by the sounds of things probably will, be affected anyway. At least if I just pay there shouldn’t be that risk. I am worried that by starting to look into it I will then suffer even if I don’t claim. That is my reluctance to even question the issue with my insurance company.

I’m not sure about whether it had a base or not to be honest, I haven’t been in my neighbours garden and without using a ladder I would not be able to see the bottom from my property. Supposedly there were some bikes in there and some fishing rods and stuff. Supposedly a couple of the rods have gone but they were not expensive, the rest of the stuff was still there.

Blimey and it still lifted up - We did have one of these at work (Bigger) but because they don't have a floor like wooden sheds it had to anchored down in the corners - Here may lie the negligence

To be honest you would have a very good argument with regards to having a non-fault claim if you did mention it because it's not like an accident involving another vehicle that you are more likely to have another one (still don't agree with this anyway) and stats wouldn't account for this type of incident.

Obviously if there's no recovery then it would be dealt with as a fault claim

I agree it's a difficult one for you and I do feel for you because it's a difficult one - Paying yourself does look the best option at the moment though

Blimey and it still lifted up - We did have one of these at work (Bigger) but because they don't have a floor like wooden sheds it had to anchored down in the corners - Here may lie the negligence

To be honest you would have a very good argument with regards to having a non-fault claim if you did mention it because it's not like an accident involving another vehicle that you are more likely to have another one (still don't agree with this anyway) and stats wouldn't account for this type of incident.

Obviously if there's no recovery then it would be dealt with as a fault claim

I agree it's a difficult one for you and I do feel for you because it's a difficult one - Paying yourself does look the best option at the moment though
I’ve just had a look at sheds on the internet and it was this type of thing - though probably not this exact one.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6685553

It doesn’t come with a base so whether it actually had one or not I don’t know.

When you say about getting the assessor round is that from my neighbours insurance or mine? My neighbour claims that when they spoke to their house insurer they were not interested in looking at my car, they were told I’d need to sort my car through my car insurance.

Thanks for all your advice!

Well it does say it needs to be anchored to a secure base as this acts as the floor

Sorry I thought the assessor was from your neighbours insurance and wanted your car there as well

Sorry I thought the assessor was from your neighbours insurance and wanted your car there as well

The shed came over a 6’ fence!

My neighbour told me that their insurance mentioned an assessor coming out, but when my neighbour mentioned my car they weren’t interested in seeing the car.

Reactions: surfer8210
The shed came over a 6’ fence!

My neighbour told me that their insurance mentioned an assessor coming out, but when my neighbour mentioned my car they weren’t interested in seeing the car.

That’s why YOU need to contact his insurance company and let them know that his property damaged yours. As far as you know he’s making all of this up in an attempt to avoid having to file a claim with his insurance company.
Your insurance company protects your car and they will attempt to avoid paying a claim by helping you collect from the neighbors insurance company. At least that’s how it worked for me.
The action I would take is to ask your neighbor for their contact info for the insurance company.
Then I would call my insurance company and let them know the situation and give them the contact info. At this point you still haven’t filed a claim with your insurance company and simply making them aware of what transpired shouldn’t have any effect on you. They are there to assist you and they want to avoid paying a claim also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to set the record straight guys - it's a loss adjuster you're all referring to, as they're working for the insurer. An assessor is someone that the policyholder appoints to act for them (and pay them a fee or a cut from any claim paid) :wink:

Reactions: DaytonaS3

Cheers
Hi.
I have spoken to our household team and they advised probably best to check with your neighbour first to make sure that you defiantly can claim for this from their house insurance as there are terms around storm damage and how well maintained the property / liability / negligence etc. If you claimed on your policy and then failed to recover it from the house insurer then yes it would d be down as a"fault" incident on your record for insurance purposes.
Regards,
Dan.

I think Sparks43 has been most helpful.
All comes down to how you see insurance, unexpected stuff happens and thank goodness I am insured as I couldn't afford to fix it myself OR unexpected stuff happens and I pay for it cause I can afford it. Sometimes cr4p happens and you just have to get on with it - speak to your insurance company, they are the ones in the know after which you can make a call on next steps.
Life isn't by default always fair.

Reactions: Sparks43
You’ll likely get nowhere fast pursuing the household insurance. Just faff from them. I do think it’s negligence though as the shed should have been secured for foreseeable British weather, but it’ll be long winded and stressful to go through it and in the meantime you might lose ability to claim from the motor insurer if the household claim drags on.

Or Use your motor insurance, get the neighbour to pay the £300 excess which should be more palatable to them. Doubt your premiums will go up significantly for what will be a £400-£500 claim to Insurers and hammer home to them it’s not your fault and push for no claims protection. If they do try to smash you at renewal then shop around, a number of insurers now have categories for the type of fault claim.

Or finally, what will the neighbour pay? Then just pay up the balance as one of life’s pains (I’ve just had the same with some pillock smashing my rear window). I’d be asking them for your excess and then just fund the rest yourself - that probably works out mist cost effective overall.