Insurance Abroad....

odnet

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecustard.com
...hi all,

just a quick question while i scan the web to try and answer it myself!...

....i'm moving to geneva (switzerland) at the back end of november and am looking to take the S3 with me (fancy taking it on a few long runs over the alps!!).... thing is, tesco, who i've currently got it insured with, won't cover me on a permanent basis....

...so, my question is, does anyone know of a UK based insurance broker that will cover me full time when away?? ...or am i better off just trying to sort insurance when over there?

cheers!! :racer:

ivan

Try Norwich Union.

Here in Germany we have to have insurance to cover us indefinately (not just 30 days at a time) so most people go to a German insurer. I'm pretty sure some go to NU though from the UK. I think there's another company also but I can't remember who it is.

That's EU cover btw not just Germany.

EDIT: Just realised Switzerland isn't in the EU, hopefully it's Europe cover then.

Bitte schön!

Do you have to register the car on the Swiss network? If so you may have problems like having to change your number plate and then your insurance is invalid unless you have used your chassis number, which most British insurers don't do.

I am having problems at the moment as I'll soon be importing my car back to the UK and registering it with the DVLA. To do that I need chassis number insurance. I phoned esure (the cheapest quote on confused) because I wanted them to process me under chassis number until I get to the DVLA and find out my registration number then I'd call them while I'm still in the car park, tell them the reg and then my insurance starts from then (my german insurance would cover me until I get there).

Not only did they say no to the chassis number idea they said they wouldn't insure me because they class it as an import car! Even though it's a UK spec car that was registered with the DVLA when I bought it!

well, this is it, to be honest, at the moment i'm not quite sure.... I've emailed Zurich Insurance (who I think underwrite Audi?) and have asked them if they'd cover me & to see what I'd need to do in order for them to cover me....

...maybe i should have thought about this a little more!!? ah well, i have till the middle of november to sort....

i'm looking around to see what i can find on google but am yet to find the answer i'm looking for!!.... i'll keep hunting!!.... tell you what, you take mine, i'll take yours, and we're both sorted!!.... :thumbsup:

cheers

ivan